September 15, 2014 | 949 users online

Moisturizers - Boots - Original Beauty Formula Rose Vanishing Day Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2011 12:16:00 AM More reviews by GlowFace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

FIRST of all... I am IN LOVE with the adorable packaging of this line of skin care. It makes me feel like an elegant lady applying her beauty potions, lol. The greatest thing about this is... this is BY far THE BEST moisturizer I have used on my VERY acne prone skin. It sinks it, dries matte, moisturizing perfectly and is a great base for my primer to then put on my face makeup. I am a HUGE fan of this stuff. It's really just wonderful! :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2011 12:14:00 AM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm a sucker for anything vintage or vintage-styled, so naturally I love all of the Boots Original products, supposedly reformulated from the original 1800s Boots products. The rose vanishing day cream has a lovely herbal rose fragrance. For the price, you get a nice-sized glass jar with a black/white vintage apothecary label and a black metal screw-on lid. The cream itself is thick and moisturizing. When applied, it truly "vanishes" and sinks into your skin, leaving a matte finish perfect for makeup. This does contain dimethicone, so if your skin is sensitive, be warned. However, this also makes it an excellent base for makeup, almost like a lightweight primer. I usually react terribly with 'cones (Smashbox Photo Finish, I'm talking to you), but this cream has given me no problems at all. When I use this cream before makeup, my skin looks flawless. I don't think this cream is quite heavy or moisturizing enough for extremely dry skin, and I do use a bit of another cream underneath, but it works well for me. Probably best for normal to slightly oily skin. It doesn't contain SPF or any special things like anti-aging or antioxidants, but I still love it because it works. My skin looks amazing since using these Boots Original products. Love the package and the cream is nice, will definitely continue to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2011 8:38:00 PM More reviews by muffinftw

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE the way my skin feels after I use this. It smells rosy, but it goes away after awhile. My skin is prone to breakouts, and I haven't had any reaction. That being said, I like this more as a night cream because my skin tends to be oilier during the day. It doesn't have spf either, so you won't find it here. I still like it a lot though.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2011 7:52:00 PM More reviews by oohitzyumi

I really wish I could have loved this moisturizer. I wanted to steer away from harsh chemicals and treatments and get back to natural more simple ingredients in my products and tried this out. I tried the Boots Botanics light night cream which does amazing things for my acne prone skin but this just turned me into an OIL SLICK! It goes on incredibly nice, almost like velvet. After a couple of hours though my face and skin just become so oily and shiny! I have acne prone/oily skin with huge pores. I think this works best for people with more normal to perfect skin. So many reviews have said it helps mattify their skin but this did just the opposite.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/19/2011 4:00:00 PM More reviews by mizuiro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this after finishing my Boots Botanics SPF15 Day Moisturizer (which wasn't impressive). After reading the reviews here, I decided to try this out. I was looking for a moisturizer that did more than just moisturize my face, but like the Botanics moisturizer, it didn't do anything more than that.

Length of time used: 2 weeks

Pros: The ingredients are not acne-causing based on SavvySkin's cosmetic acne list and I didn't have any skin problems after using this. The moisturizer dried matte, which was something I had never seen from a moisturizer before. I could immediately apply makeup instead of waiting five minutes for it to sink in. Awesome! It was also moisturizing enough for my dry skin during the winter after a shower. I found if my face still appeared dry after applying it a first time, I could reapply it wherever I needed to give me a hydrated look without making my skin look oily. Again, it dried matte.

Cons: This product does nothing other than moisturize. No other added skin health benefits, serums, amino acids, anti-aging properties, etc. I noticed that applying this after using a retinol product the night before made the areas around my eyes and the tops of my cheek bones sting and I don't consider myself to have sensitive skin. This would go away after a minute but still made me uneasy. Stopping the use of my retinol stopped the stinging, but who wants to do that? Also, I don't mind the smell of rose water but the smell lingers on my face for about 15 minutes. People who are not familiar with rose water ask me why I smell like an old woman (haha!).

Final Verdict: This product does nothing except moisturize. While I love, love, love how it dries matte, I would go back to the Botanics moisturizer before buying this again simply because I want more out of my skincare products than the bare minimum. At least the Botanics has SPF. Also, those who use retinol beware!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2010 11:21:00 PM More reviews by supergirlieque

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I adore this stuff. The other reviews are right, it absorbs quickly and leaves a nice matte finish, not tight or dry at all. I have combination skin, oily in my t-zone, dry-ish on my cheeks & I break out. This doesn't make me break out, it mattifies my t-zone, & if I apply this in the morning, my face is still REALLY nice by nightfall. Light scent that doesn't linger, great consistency (a little goes a long way) & I love the glass jar.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/31/2010 12:35:00 AM More reviews by Dee652

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love Boots and the product smelled great, but I returned it when I realized it was a little too good at "vanishing" on my skin. I kept feeling the tightness of my skin even after slathering on loads of the lotion- it did absorb, but no idea where it went to. Will return, especially since I've found more moisturizing oil-free lotions.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2010 2:55:00 PM More reviews by TheHybred

I picked this up at Target, and I really loved it at first. I have oily/combo acne prone skin, and this is fast-absorbing and left me with a matte finish, which is perfect for daytime. This has a nice rose scent to it, but I would prefer to have no added fragrances in my face products. The downside to this is that it broke me out terribly. I would not recommend this for dry skin because it isn't very moisturizing.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2010 1:59:00 PM More reviews by kanka999

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to say I'm more than pleasantly surprised with this product. I was looking for a nighttime moisturizer without any actives in it because I think I was using too many products with exfoliating ingredients and overdoing it a little. Anyway, this sinks right in and actually dries to a matte finish. Because of this, if you're super dry this may not be too great but this has now become my daytime primer and my skin has been so happy!! I gave up on the whole primer thing a while ago because I didn't like putting all the "ithicones" on my skin. For once I'm not an oil slick and my makeup stays on until I get home for the first time in my life. The only thing is I wish this came in a tube but it's been such a God send to my regimen I won't knock it a lippie for just that. I bought the Original Skin Balm to use as my night moisturizer and will write a review for that as well. Love it too!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 11:39:00 AM More reviews by zoomusicgrrrl

I usually go for skin products that are as natural as possible and, admittedly, some have been very good. But recently I've been thinking about classic products - mainly because I know so many older women who swear by the 'basics' and have smooth, supple and unlined skins to show for it. (Oh, and much fuller wallets than I have, as a result!) I'm wondering if I'm missing out by saying no to synthetics and chemicals. So, putting aside my search for the purest, most organic, most natural products, I looked up the reviews for this moisturiser, a formulation Boots claim to have revived from their archives. Seeing the positive responses on here (and the fact that Boots currently have a BOGO offer on this range), I couldn't resist. The moisturiser contains water, glycerin, sorbitan stearate, cetyl alcohol, olive fruit oil, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, sodium polyacrylate, cocoa seed butter, xanthan gum, sucrose cocoate, methylparaben, ethylparaben, citronellol, tetrasodium edta, geraniol, linalool, pelargonium graveolens flower oil, limonene, parfum and rosa damascena flower oil. I normally run a mile from anything vaguely chemically, don't always get on with dimethicone, and, well, don't get me started on parabens. But, figuring that I happily enough slap on *cosmetics* that are chemical-riddled (I've never manged to find a foundation that works better or even as good as ones by Guerlain, Chanel, Estee etc), I wasn't too worried. Also, the moisturiser does contain a good selection of fruit and flower oils to keep my inner green goddess happy.
The cream looks quite thick and I did suspect it would be too greasy and heavy for my skin (for reference, my cheeks are normal, but my T-zone gets oily through the day - and my chin clogs at the slightest overload of product). I figured I could use it as a night cream anyway. On the box that encases the glass jar it says the formula "literally vanishes into skin." With my first application as a night cream I used more product than I would normally (there was a heap of it on the lid, so I couldn't resist.) But, like the packaging said, it vanished straight away, leaving my skin velvety smooth and matte. Witchcraft, really, considering the rich texture, the fruit oils and dimethicone which I was sure would be too greasy for me. I'm now using it as a day cream because it's a great mattifier and base for makeup. Considering that I tend to find primers and liquid powders too greasy, I'm quite amazed at how this cream, which is not even promoted as being designed to control oil, leaves such a smooth, matte finish. At 7.79 for 50ml, it's also considerably cheaper than most of the natural brands I've used - but with superior results. Half a lippie off for the lack of SPF. Another half off for the parabens.