Ben Nye MagiCake Aqua Paint - Licorice Black

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/24/2009 3:52:00 AM

MagiCake Aqua Paints are extremely compressed powders that are applied with a wet brush. They come in a huge range of vivid, theatrical colors, and are sold as singles or in palattes.

This shade is a true black, and I've found it to be an excellent eyeliner. I use a liner brush, and glide it over the cake, or put a drop of water in the lid and mix some powder in to get the perfect consistency. It goes on like a liquid liner, but I find it easier to control than most liquid liners on the market because I can use the brush of my choice, such as Urban Decay's slanted liner brush or a bent liner brush. In this way, MagiCakes are similar to the gel and cream liners that come in pots.

I've also occasionally used these as shadows, applied with a wet 1/4" flat brush. There isn't much blending/fussing time - they dry fast, so I think they lend themselves best to bold, graphic looks.

The color is long-lasting and stays put, yet it is easily removed. The 6 gram container lasts ages since it's so strongly pigmented, and it retails for $4-$6. How great is that?!