Paula's Choice Moisturizing Lipscreen SPF 15 (stick)

3.4

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: 7.0% Octinoxate, 2.5% Oxybenzone, and 2.77% Titanium Dioxide (all sunscreen agents). Other Ingredients: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Petrolatum, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollients), Beeswax (natural wax-based thickener), C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters (emollient/thickeners), Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (thickener), Lanolin (emollient), Microcrystalline Wax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Euphrobia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (emollient thickeners), Ceresin, (thickener), Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil (emollients), Tocopheryl Acetate (antioxidant), Trihydroxystearin, Stearic Acid (thickeners), Aluminum Hydroxide (opacifying agent), Propylparaben (preservative).

on 2/7/2015 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

In a sea of lip balms that are all pretty much alike this is really different. It is the most moisturizing balm I have used and it has a 15 SPF. When I need a balm under a dry lip colour this works the best. It is light in texture and stays around a long time. I use it daily either alone or tinting it with a pink lip liner.

on 4/24/2011 1:04:00 AM

This is the best lip balm I have used. Yes, it does leave a bit of a whitish cast on my lips, but it's worth it because it lasts longer than any other balm I've tried, and it really does seem to improve the condition of my lips.

on 5/31/2009 8:12:00 PM

I have to say I like this product, I've been using it for few months now, the conditioning aspect of it is satisfactory, but I'm mainly happy because of the added sun protection it offers. This is a simple product, no fragrance, fancy packaging, or hype, but it delivers. Think of the phrase, "all flash and no substance"...this is the opposite of that.

on 5/11/2009 9:47:00 AM

I'm surprised other reviewers found this left a white-cast...I get none whatsoever.

I *love* this lipbalm. I was looking for something with proper UVA protection, and could only find (possibly) unstable formulae, or white, chalky balms that made me look like a clown.

This stuff is perfect - inexpensive, moisturizing, protective (2% titanium dioxide, etc.) and coveniently packaged.

I was always hesitant to try Paula's products from all the non-love she receives on the boards, but I'm so glad I did. Highly recommended.

on 3/16/2008 4:09:00 PM

I have tried dozens of lip balms, from low-priced to ridiculously high end. This is, by far, my favorite. It comes in a handy tube (no dipping my fingers into a pot), and it is neither too waxy nor too greasy. It leaves my lips feeling and looking great, and it has broad spectrum sun protection, which few lip balms (even the ones that claim to be SPF 15) provide. It's not cheap, but it's worth the price I paid.

on 2/29/2008 3:28:00 PM

I've had packaging problems with a few products in the past: Revlon and Cover Girl eyeliner lids, and a couple of lip stick lids that split.

However, I've never had so many product packages self destruct as I've had with Paula's Choice products.

The lids of these, and I've purchased a handful, crack and fall off at a unreasonable rate. I'd say half or more.

I actually like this product. I can't handle fragrance, but the scent of this is not unpleasant. I've never had it leave a white residue on my lips, the worst I've ever experienced was the old Clinique's Lip Treatment stick. Ugh.

And it works. But I have to admit that I've switched to different products. For sun protection: Aveeno Active Naturals Essential Moisture Lip Conditioner SPF 15. For evening: Lip Vitamins Lip Balm in Vanilla Bean (apparently only available at $1 stores now).

I've also had: a brush, several ultra-thin eye & brow pencils, and a constant color lip paint break down packaging wise, long before the product was finished.

I will say that Paula's Choice replaced a couple of the items, but not all of them.

To conclude, if you need your makeup packaging to hold up under any kind of regular use, stay away from Paula's Choice products (because these items have been in my makeup box, not a purse).

on 12/15/2007 6:57:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This lipbalm is decent. It's not wonderful/amazing but it does do the job, it protects it from the sun. It leaves a white-ish cast on my lips, like a nude tint almost? I actually don't mind the color because it tone downs my pigmented lips just don't go crazy with the amount you put on, just a little coat on your lips does it fine. The two thing i didn't like about this balms was 1: i can taste the sunscreen-y flavor? to it(it's mild, but i can still taste it). and 2: it wasn't the best moisturizing balm, it didn't try out my lips but it didn't make them super soft. Overall it wasn't too bad, i think i will repurchase because i love the spf in it.

on 2/28/2007 12:35:00 PM

First off I have to say that I am a male in my 20s with fair skin and very red lips. I've been asked many times if I have lipcolor on by various women and it has at times been a little embarassing, so with that said I think that the titanium dioxide in this tones down my natural lip color somewhat but doesn't leave me with white lips. I could see how someone with lighter lips could get frustrated with this. I really like the texture, but the cap does come off in my jeans pocket sometimes, which is really gross. I'm constantly checking it in my pocket or putting it in my jacket pocket. Sometimes the stick rolls up by itself. I don't know why there are so few Chapstick-style products on the market containing sufficient UVA protection. Overall, despite the packaging I really like the product and currently have two backups at home because I fear running out of Paula products since it takes nearly a week to get them in the mail. This is my first review in a while, so I hope to be able to write Paula's company soon to share my feedback on this and other packaging issues I've been having (mainly the Blemish fighting formula running out of the bottle and creating a mess).

on 12/5/2005 1:08:00 AM

I am very sorry that I still bought this product after reading the reviews here. This lip balm is offensively greasy, leaves an appalling white cast, and the damn thing won't retract after I twisted out a short length. Paula ought to be ashamed of herself.

on 2/23/2005 7:09:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

It has very good UVA/UVB protection (Octinoxate 7%, Titanium Dioxide 2.77%, Oxybenzone 2.5%). The consistency is quite thick that it can leave white cast on lips if applied too much. What I don't like is that within one hour after application, I will develop white gross film where my lips meet!! I have had this problem with some lipsticks, but so far this is the worst. Will not repurchase.

Popular Lip Treatments