Dabur Vatika Hair Oil

4.2

Coconut Oil, Neem, Brahmi, Extracts of Amla, Bahera and Harar, Kapur Kachri, Henna, Milk, Rosemary Oil, Lemon Oil, TBHQ, Fragrance

on 7/25/2015 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

First, about my hair so you will know what we're dealing with here: I require low maintenance hair. My hair is slightly wavy, very fine and double processed. I wear it in a fairly short pixie-ish style and hate using product or spending time styling. I am fortunate that my hair has enough thickness, body and wave that it behaves well as long as there isn't too much weight on it and I like to wash it and walk away.

I started using Viteka Coconut on Memorial Day (purchased at an international grocer and it is so inexpensive) and it has been about 2 months of use now so I feel I can leave a solid review. I love this product! I use shampoo (an AG sulfate free one), zero conditioner, zero other product. I wash my hair in shower, throw a towel on it to absorb excess water. Step out of shower, dry, powder, moisturize face and body. Remove towel from hair, shake two or three drops of Viteka Coconut into palm and rub it in my hair, finger comb into place and walk out of the bathroom.

The scent is like fresh grated coconut, my hair is super super shiny, not in the least weighed down or greasy, which is usually the case with other oils I've used (macadamia, argan, Davines Milk). I wash my hair twice a week since I've gotten older (less oily than my younger days). If I use a touch too much, it can get oily appearing a day early, though. For some reason, since I began using Viteka my shampoo lathers better, too.

I've barely put a dent in the small bottle and it has been warm so it has remained liquid for me. When it thickens, my intent is just to run some hot water in the sink, set the bottle in that while I shower and I figure it should be good to go.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I really do love this hair oil. The scent is fine, though nothing to write home about. Smells vaguely of amla, but not too strong. Rinses out easily and leaves hair very shiny. The reason I give it a four is I prefer to simply mix my own hair oil of castor and coconut, which is simple and less expensive. But if you want a ready-to-go hair oil, this stuff is wonderful.

on 6/2/2015 7:02:00 PM

I use the black seed variety which smells divine and even if i put it in for 5 minutes, it moisturises my hair so well.

Wish it had a nozzle bottle which would cause less spillage (esp when it's a new bottle) but I just turn it into a plastic nozzle container anyway - way easier and quicker application.

on 5/25/2015 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm indian and this oil is absolutely fantastic! My color treated hair that goes through heat three times a week at least feels soft and looks great because of this oil. A full 48 hr treatment and an egg treatment with this baby and we are good!

on 5/13/2015 7:33:00 PM

I absolutely, positively LOVE this stuff! When I am using it people stop me to tell me how beautiful my hair is. Hairdressers go nuts over my hair. My hair looks amazing. I am a Caucasian in my senior years, and my hair is naturally many different colors, some grey/white, some light blond, some medium blond, and some light brown. The grey/white aspect is not more than 5%, but the hair has become dryer and more coarse as I've aged. I started using this product more than a year ago. I have a combination 1/2 type hair, with the wave being underneath and the straight on top. I found the use of this product tamed my grey/white aspects and smoothed it, as well as gave it amazing sheen and health. I used it for a few months and started noticing my darker hair was much darker. I kept using it, as I loved the effects of it! But, sadly, I felt I had to stop using it, as I didn't recognize myself in the mirror any longer! I am now missing my beautiful hair from not using this product and will find and purchase it again. I plan on alternating it with plain coconut oil. When using it, I would put it on my hair, braid it, and sleep on it, then wash it out in the morning, and intend to use it the same way again. I never bothered to heat up the bottle, I merely dug out the desired amount with a plastic spoon end, but a wider lid and different bottle design would make things a lot easier. This product did amazing things for my hair, I only wish it was available in a neutral henna!

on 2/2/2015 6:13:00 PM

Oh my gosh... how did I ever forget about this lovely product?! I used it years ago when I was in junior high! I "borrowed" it from my mom, and after finishing it I wasn't sure if it was available in Canada since my aunt bought it from India, while on a trip there.

Years later, I was looking through old photos and noticed the blurry bottle. I searched and searched trying to figure out the name. The photo was too blurry to see. Finally when I was randomly looking at weird products at my local Asian grocery store, I saw this! Oh thank goodness. Finally!

I absolutely love the smell of it. Some reviewers here aren't too fond of it, but I even open the bottle randomly to sniff it. It's like my drug!

It leaves my hair silky smooth, soft, shiney, and beautiful. You only need a very small amount, especially if you have thin hair like I do, with Sahara desert dry ends.

I also use it as a deep conditioning treatment once a week, rotating it with my other oil mixes (so one week Vatika, the next week my oil mix, repeat). I cover my head with a plastic bag, wrap a towel around it and let my hair soak up the goodness for as long as I can (a minimum of 2 hours, and up to all day sometimes).

Of course you don't need to use it as a deep conditioning treatment like I do, it works great using a little and working it into your ends.

I've read about the benefits of alma, and henna, as well as other ingredients in this bottle that may promote hair growth. I'm not sure if it will or not, I'll update after some use.

The only two annoying things about this product are:

1. Coconut oil hardens at room temperature so it requires heating. I just put the bottle in a bowl of hot water and wait a few minutes. It's actually better to use oils when they are warm, but it may be annoying to some so I thought I'd mention it.

2. The lid on the bottle popped off while I was trying to squeeze the bottle, I was in a rush and didn't leave it in the warm water. The oil gushed out and I lost quiet a bit due to my impatience. The lid is annoying either way though, I hope they change it!

I highly recommend this product, it's everything you need for healthy hair. I love the Vatika line, and have purchased their black seed hair mask (see separate review). This oil is one of the oils that does NOT contain mineral oil from the Vatika line. Most, or all, have mineral oil which I don't like. I can't wait to try more products and review them. :)

on 10/24/2014 1:27:00 PM

Firstly it made my hair soft and smoothed in 1 week. in 2 weeks i used it again however it made my hair so dry and knotty. i thought to my myself i might use it again but it made my hair dry again which it made me angry. i wont ever use this product again. right now i am using parachute coconut oil.

on 10/22/2014 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Thenaturalzee.tumblr.com blog does a good review!

on 7/29/2014 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

#1 i have dry course 4C natural afro hair (colour treated) and this stuff makes my hair freel amazing.

I don't know how this coconut oil differs from regular extra virgin coconut oil but my hair always feels soooooo soft for days after i slather this in. I have been using this on and off for years and only when I came across it again in my local walmart for $3 i grabbed it up and recall how good it is.

I dont mind the smell...but I hate the packaging. When its liquid its not bad but when it is solid.. you cant get it through the tiny little hole you have to poke through the top. and pulling out the little cork is kind of hard.

100% works for me

on 5/9/2014 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I am Bengali so technically Indian I guess. This hair oil did not do anything much for me. I didnt get added shine, moisture, etc. My hair tends not to have much of a reaction to coconut oil anyway and benefits from thicker oils like almond oil, blackseed oil, olive oil, mustard oil (especially - WARNING - it stinks).

I also wasnt too fond of the smell of the vatika oil.

On the bright side it doesnt contain the unnecessarily mineral oil.