Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

3.8

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 4.20%, Titanium Dioxide 2.45%. Other Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isosterate, Stearic Acid, Alumina

on 4/17/2015 4:54:00 PM

This primer seems to be so universally adored, especially for my skintype (oily) that when I didn't like it, I second guessed myself. Maybe I was having a bad day? Maybe I was using it wrong? Maybe it really was controlling the oil, and I just didn't realize it? Or maybe it just isn't for me. My skin is oily, and as I get older, it isn't getting any less oily. I don't find that this does anything for oil control, or my pores, or really anything, for that matter. I'm oily again just as quickly as if I had used nothing.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I tried many primers and this is my favorite for my Oily Skin. It help keep my makeup looking fresh all day long! My foundation use to oxide (turned dark) at the end of the day this is no longer an issue when I use this product. I wish this product came with a better pump for the price tag. When I use the pump even after I shaken up the bottle I get the watery part of the product so instead I open the bottle and pour a small amount of product onto my clean hands. I think the bad reviews of this product is because the pump isn't pumping out 100% of the product so users aren't getting the full advantage of this primer when using the pump. Try this primer if you have combination to oily skin you will be in love!

on 4/9/2015 4:20:00 PM

Excellent primer that seems to take a few years off as well. Makeup lasts all day. Primer goes on smoothly and disappears into skin. Very expensive though.

This is soooooo freaking amazing! I love how it feels on my skin!!! It makes my makeup last all day and without it feeling oily. I have combination skin and holy cow, I love using it with all my foundation. It's so pricey though, I'm hoping during the Christmas time, there will be a value set or discount... Get a sample of it before purchasing it. You won't regret it!!

on 4/6/2015 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Finally found a primer that goes PERFECTLY with Double Wear! I've tried Becca Stay Matte, Laura Mercier, Smash Box, and Lorac primers for my combination skin. I have a really dry lip area but a really oily nose and forehead. The Hourglass primer has a milky texture to it and I like to pat it onto my face so it absorbs better! This is the only primer that controls my oil while keeping my dry eczema flakes happy. It is a bit pricey but I feel like it's worth it if you want to look FLAWLESS. My foundation is still on 8 hours after application and doesn't look patchy and shiny like it usually does with other primers. Not sure how it works with other foundations but if you have Double Wear, you need this primer!

on 4/3/2015 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I hate primers - so much so that when I got this as a small sample at first in a Space NK Beauty bag I nearly threw it out in disgust - but then thought 'It's Hourglass - I'll give it a go.' Im so glad I did! It is unlike any other primer I have tried. It leaves my skin soft but not massively silicone heavy like many primers nor does it disappear to nothing like others. It makes my make up last longer, look better and feel better. However it is extortionate - hence why it's not getting 5 lipsticks!

on 4/3/2015 7:57:00 AM

I can't comment on the packaging, as I only had a sample of this product; however, I probably won't be repurchasing this. It's a nice product...it feels very silky on my face, kept my foundation on and seemed to mattify well (but I only put this on my cheeks and neck - I have a separate primer for my t-zone). I don't think the benefits of this primer are worth it for the hefty price tag.

on 3/27/2015 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Besides the Hourglass Mineral Veil primer, I've only used a few others (Smashbox Photo Finish, Shiseido Refining Primer and Too Faced Hangover Primer). So far, I prefer the Mineral Veil over the others and for the price, I feel like it was good but not amazing. I bought the travel sized version of this first ($21 CAD for 0.33 oz) and liked it enough to buy the full sized version ($60 CAD for 1 oz).

Just as a reference, I have acne-prone skin, with a really oily T-zone and I get a bit oily on my chin and cheeks. In my makeup routine, apply a gel moisturize, apply this primer, then use MUFE Mat Velvet + with my beautyblender and set with TheBalm translucent powder. It gives me a smooth base, minimizes my pores, allows my foundation to go on evenly, makes me less oily throughout the day, seems to make my base long wearing, etc.

There is a slight scent, but it's not off-putting or that noticeable. I have tried other foundations with this primer and it still gives me the same smooth base, however, the minor faults have always been the same. I always notice that my foundation still settles under my eyes and it doesn't minimize the chance of my foundation rubbing off too much - such as, when I lightly blot my face. I do like how it's in a glass container and has a pump though!

Overall, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good primer. It definitely does minimize your pores, makes you less oily and gives you a smooth base. I will keep repurchasing until I find my HG face primer!

on 3/25/2015 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is my favorite primer. First of all, it contains SPF, which is really great because I prefer to not use sunscreen under my makeup and most of my foundations do not have SPF properties. It is so silky and smooth, a little goes a long way which is important because this product is really expensive ($52 USD for 1oz) but the bottle is pretty big. I prefer to get the travel sizes ($18 USD for 0.33 oz) because I feel like it's a better monetary value and more hygienic to buy a new one every several months.

This primer works with any foundation I have tried - matte, demi-matte, and tinted moisturizer. Using it makes my foundation go on smoother, look better, and stay on for longer. It creates a barrier between the skin and the foundation so that the product doesn't sink into fine lines or into pores. The product has a very faint smell, but it is definitely not perfumey. It is a stark white color but blends to invisible once on the skin. Before even using foundation, I always notice that my skin looks more even and glowing after using it. It definitely blurs the appearance of imperfections.

I've seen a lot of people apply this with a brush or beauty blender, but I prefer to just use my fingers because it warms up the product and spreads it a little bit easier. Also, I don't feel the need to blend it completely. Overall, my HG primer.

on 3/24/2015 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

At $52 for 1 oz of product, this is the most expensive primer I have ever owned, so I really wish I didn't like it. While it is a silicone-based primer, it doesn't feel greasy in the slightest. The texture is incredibly silky and smooth, and it has the consistency of a thin white lotion. It dries quickly on my face and leaves a semi-matte finish (which I personally love) and leaves a wonderful canvas for the smooth application of my liquid foundation. My makeup lasts all day and I have very little breakthrough oil which is very impressive for my combination skin. Highly recommended.

Popular Primer/ Correctors