December 22, 2014 | 1009 users online

Other - Sephora - Ratings & Reviews Section

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2014 6:14:00 PM More reviews by Nancygia

OK, so at least I'm not the only one whose reviews have been deleted from the Sephora website. I understand that they are trying to sell products, but they send you these hounding emails (ready to review?) but what they really mean is, ready to rave? Because if you aren't, they don't want your feedback. I am a VIB rouge, though I have seriously cut back on my purchases there in the past several months. And I have been less and less thrilled with my purchasing experiences recently. The Sephora SA's in the store closest to me are either rude, annoying, know absolutely nothing or can't be found on the off chance I actually need some assistance. And I recently requested a sample from the VIB concierge line. It was something I had really wanted to try, but I couldn't get to a store for several weeks, and other people said they do it all the time. I never had, but I figured, why not? The person on the phone took the information, and said that it would be sent to me shortly. I never received it. When I called to find out why not, the representative told me they don't send samples unless they are in conjunction with an order (I did place an order the same day, but the samples are never anything I want or like). So then why did the concierge pretend otherwise? I told the representative they are going to lose business if they keep treating people that way. He said, that's what we're trying to avoid. Could've fooled me.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/19/2014 3:50:00 PM More reviews by kmclallen

I see a lot of negative reviews, let me give you my take, Makeup Alley is my to go to make up site and skin products as well as Paula's Choice for skin products. It makes sense to me that the actual company that sells items probably isn't the best place to go for honest reviews, Sephora being one of them, not surprised they delete negative reviews my guess is that many stores do and that we just haven't caught on yet. I love Sephora for what it is (yes the points rewards do usually suck) I can try on and look at a huge selection of product before I spend way too much on them, and as far a service? For me it depends on the store some are great some -- not so much. I have a problem with a local Ulta store as well, I think they all wake up on the wrong side of the bed.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/19/2014 3:38:00 PM More reviews by julia19ae

Because Sephora deletes/does not post negative comments, I will be attempting to delete any reviews I have made from their site. No more sponsored videos for me either. All of the reviews and specialized sections (Today's Obsession, Hot Now, Editors'/Staff Picks, The Glossy, Sephora TV, Bestselling) are marketing pitches. I like the Beauty Board and the extensiveness of the products in the system, but besides these two pros, the site is awful. The salespeople are more often than not rude. I'm going to stay a Beauty Insider (almost a VIB) for the wide selection, BI program, and ease with online shopping, but as soon as I find something better, I'll be gone. Ulta's selection isn't wide enough for me. Sometimes I use drugstore makeup. I don't usually like makeup shopping in department stores from my area. That was a long paragraph.. All in all, I'd say that the Sephora website is a scammy piece of crap, the salespeople are almost always rude and unhelpful, and they have quite a few BAD apples running their Customer Service call line.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2014 11:13:00 PM More reviews by FrizzyKab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yes, Sephora really does delete negative reviews. I left 2 reviews in one day (one 5 star, one 1star) and the 5star one posted but the 1star review never did. So I left the 1star review again. That one never posted either. I find that so repulsive. Not to mention that the customer service inside the stores is crappy anyway. I have since been shopping Nordstrom and ULTA. Better customer service and more honest reviews. I'm so over Sephora that I'm prepared to be without my HG Makeup Forever lipstick. I guess I'll finally be trying Mac...

rated 1 of 5 on 12/9/2013 10:38:00 AM More reviews by MissmeganA

I just got my "Beauty Insider" reward and it's kind of my last straw. I'm wondering why I still have an account with Sephora at all.

So the pros of Sephora are that you can have free shipping if you order $50 of stuff online. Also there are free returns.

The cons: Oh so many cons. Being a "beauty insider" you get points with your purchases and redeem them for rewards. Well the rewards are lame. They are usually a deluxe sample of something you end up throwing away because you hate it.

The selection: is very limited in my opinion and stuff gets sold out all the time. Also, no MAC (one of my fave makeup brands)

Product reviews: are skewed. Which is quite obvious when you look at a site and all of their reveiws are glowing. I have had one and two star reviews that were deleted on numerous occasions. Not because I referenced another product (which it's also bs that you can't do that either... its against their policy) or because I used profanity, or because they were irrelevant to the product. They just magically disappeared. Shady shade Sephora.

Sephora brand products: quality sucks. Buy drugstore products instead.

In store customer service: is poor. I feel like the women that help me don't know what they are doing. The associates are on extreme ends of the spectrum. Either unhelpful or pushy. Not pleasant. The place is also quite ghetto, especially for somewhere that sells higher end products.

I recommend ordering from Nordstrom or Bergdorf Goodman where there is no minumum for free shipping, and larger product selection. They do the free samples with your order like Sephora too. I also think their in store customer service is much better. I'm canceling my account at Sephora very soon! (They make you email someone and ask them to delete your account... you can't just delete it yourself.)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

I love everything about Sephora! The customer service is stellar, return policies are amazing and the people are just nice to me. I have nothing negative to say here :-)

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2013 7:00:00 PM More reviews by seattlefoxy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I actually just joined Makeup Alley today, for the *primary purpose* of getting more informative, unbiased reviews about expensive makeup and skincare products I am considering. I didn't join just to trash Sephora, but I can't help but add my 2 cents BECAUSE I have gotten so sick of Sephora's shady review practices.

Personally, I like writing reviews and sharing my experience/opinions about a product, and I like reading others' reviews (and ALWAYS do so before I fork over the money for an expensive splurge.) And, I'd like to be clear, that my intent has always been to be fair, honest and clean in my reviews... I don't curse, I don't criticize products unnecessarily or because I'm feeling mean and cranky, and I write just as many (if not more) positive reviews as negative ones. I've probably written between 60-80 reviews on Sephora over the past 5 years, but my contribution page only shows 36. Almost all of the "lost" reviews were ones in which I did not like the product and gave it a low rating. It's hit or miss, apparently, because they *have* posted some of my negative reviews, but not most of them. Another interesting thing I've noticed is that Sephora is very resistant about posting negative reviews about SEPHORA brand products. They'll post a few, of course, but they always spread them out and temper them with glowing reviews, so when you're looking at the main description page of one of their products, you'll never see an entire page of bad reviews (even if the overwhelming majority of reviews were bad.) There will always be 1-2 good reviews thrown in to keep you somewhat interested in trying their product. I can only assume they have similar agreements with the other brands they do business with, in that they mediate how much criticism they allow on their site.

It's really frustrating, but that's how businesses operate, I suppose. I can't say I'm all that surprised, and I'm glad to know there are other sources out there (such as this website) for getting good information.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 7:00:00 AM More reviews by Lala27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I saw this review last week and wanted to test this out for myself, so I left a few reviews of products I have tried. The reviews ranged from bad to great, and a week later they are still there. Maybe they were erasing posts when these reviews were written, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/22/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by sara85

Sephora deletes most negative reviews. It is very sad, but true. I spend a lot of money every year, in Sephora & I am a VIB (very important beauty insider). I was waiting for Urban Decay Naked palette to be back in stock & ordered it as soon as it was available. When I received it, it had finger prints on most colors. I wrote a review & mentioned the issue. There were several reviews mentioning the same problem as well. The following day, they were all gone! My review was never posted. I got an email from Sephora, apologizing for the inconvenience & asking me to contact the VIB hotline, so they could help me & solve the issue. I called them, and the solution was to return the product!
It was sad, but I was happy that it happened, because now I know I should never trust the reviews on Sephora online. I check MUA. I don't know why Sephora does this, but this is not the right way to do business.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/15/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm surprised at the comments here. I read some pretty forceful comments on the Sephora review section ("Don't waste your money!" "Don't buy this!"). I wonder if it has to do vocabulary. No, this is not a criticism. Believe me, I can be very colorful when I'm POd. But some places are pretty touchy about it.