October 24, 2014 | 1435 users online

Other - Sephora - Ratings & Reviews Section

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2014 11:13:00 PM More reviews by FrizzyKab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yes, Sephora really does delete negative reviews. I left 2 reviews in one day (one 5 star, one 1star) and the 5star one posted but the 1star review never did. So I left the 1star review again. That one never posted either. I find that so repulsive. Not to mention that the customer service inside the stores is crappy anyway. I have since been shopping Nordstrom and ULTA. Better customer service and more honest reviews. I'm so over Sephora that I'm prepared to be without my HG Makeup Forever lipstick. I guess I'll finally be trying Mac...

rated 1 of 5 on 12/9/2013 10:38:00 AM More reviews by MissmeganA

I just got my "Beauty Insider" reward and it's kind of my last straw. I'm wondering why I still have an account with Sephora at all.

So the pros of Sephora are that you can have free shipping if you order $50 of stuff online. Also there are free returns.

The cons: Oh so many cons. Being a "beauty insider" you get points with your purchases and redeem them for rewards. Well the rewards are lame. They are usually a deluxe sample of something you end up throwing away because you hate it.

The selection: is very limited in my opinion and stuff gets sold out all the time. Also, no MAC (one of my fave makeup brands)

Product reviews: are skewed. Which is quite obvious when you look at a site and all of their reveiws are glowing. I have had one and two star reviews that were deleted on numerous occasions. Not because I referenced another product (which it's also bs that you can't do that either... its against their policy) or because I used profanity, or because they were irrelevant to the product. They just magically disappeared. Shady shade Sephora.

Sephora brand products: quality sucks. Buy drugstore products instead.

In store customer service: is poor. I feel like the women that help me don't know what they are doing. The associates are on extreme ends of the spectrum. Either unhelpful or pushy. Not pleasant. The place is also quite ghetto, especially for somewhere that sells higher end products.

I recommend ordering from Nordstrom or Bergdorf Goodman where there is no minumum for free shipping, and larger product selection. They do the free samples with your order like Sephora too. I also think their in store customer service is much better. I'm canceling my account at Sephora very soon! (They make you email someone and ask them to delete your account... you can't just delete it yourself.)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

I love everything about Sephora! The customer service is stellar, return policies are amazing and the people are just nice to me. I have nothing negative to say here :-)

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2013 7:00:00 PM More reviews by seattlefoxy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I actually just joined Makeup Alley today, for the *primary purpose* of getting more informative, unbiased reviews about expensive makeup and skincare products I am considering. I didn't join just to trash Sephora, but I can't help but add my 2 cents BECAUSE I have gotten so sick of Sephora's shady review practices.

Personally, I like writing reviews and sharing my experience/opinions about a product, and I like reading others' reviews (and ALWAYS do so before I fork over the money for an expensive splurge.) And, I'd like to be clear, that my intent has always been to be fair, honest and clean in my reviews... I don't curse, I don't criticize products unnecessarily or because I'm feeling mean and cranky, and I write just as many (if not more) positive reviews as negative ones. I've probably written between 60-80 reviews on Sephora over the past 5 years, but my contribution page only shows 36. Almost all of the "lost" reviews were ones in which I did not like the product and gave it a low rating. It's hit or miss, apparently, because they *have* posted some of my negative reviews, but not most of them. Another interesting thing I've noticed is that Sephora is very resistant about posting negative reviews about SEPHORA brand products. They'll post a few, of course, but they always spread them out and temper them with glowing reviews, so when you're looking at the main description page of one of their products, you'll never see an entire page of bad reviews (even if the overwhelming majority of reviews were bad.) There will always be 1-2 good reviews thrown in to keep you somewhat interested in trying their product. I can only assume they have similar agreements with the other brands they do business with, in that they mediate how much criticism they allow on their site.

It's really frustrating, but that's how businesses operate, I suppose. I can't say I'm all that surprised, and I'm glad to know there are other sources out there (such as this website) for getting good information.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 7:00:00 AM More reviews by Lala27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I saw this review last week and wanted to test this out for myself, so I left a few reviews of products I have tried. The reviews ranged from bad to great, and a week later they are still there. Maybe they were erasing posts when these reviews were written, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/22/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by sara85

Sephora deletes most negative reviews. It is very sad, but true. I spend a lot of money every year, in Sephora & I am a VIB (very important beauty insider). I was waiting for Urban Decay Naked palette to be back in stock & ordered it as soon as it was available. When I received it, it had finger prints on most colors. I wrote a review & mentioned the issue. There were several reviews mentioning the same problem as well. The following day, they were all gone! My review was never posted. I got an email from Sephora, apologizing for the inconvenience & asking me to contact the VIB hotline, so they could help me & solve the issue. I called them, and the solution was to return the product!
It was sad, but I was happy that it happened, because now I know I should never trust the reviews on Sephora online. I check MUA. I don't know why Sephora does this, but this is not the right way to do business.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/15/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm surprised at the comments here. I read some pretty forceful comments on the Sephora review section ("Don't waste your money!" "Don't buy this!"). I wonder if it has to do vocabulary. No, this is not a criticism. Believe me, I can be very colorful when I'm POd. But some places are pretty touchy about it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2011 4:50:00 PM More reviews by ImYourFavoriteDrug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

What a joke...........what's the point of having a review section if they're going to filter out the bad ones?

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2011 4:50:00 PM More reviews by missvox2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I had rated and reviewed a number of products after purchasing from Sephora.com and have yet to see some of my reviews show up. What is the point of having rating system when its fixed? I though my reviews were helpful and provided fair and honest feedback. I hate having to go in their stores anymore and only go online to check the ingredients listings--at lease they are accurate.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2010 3:23:00 PM More reviews by reihasama

It seems to me that the reviews on Sephora are overwhelmingly positive for just about any product, whether beloved or vilified by those on MakeupAlley. As such, they make it difficult to judge a product's true usefulness to those who want to try it. It's a fairly high possibility that the negative reviews are being heavily screened out.