July 22, 2014 | 1146 users online

Loose Powders - Physicians Formula - Organic Wear

rated 3 of 5 on 5/28/2013 7:31:00 AM More reviews by HappyUnicornSmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Honestly, I am so back and forth with this powder. I have had it for about three years now. This is because I originally purchased a light shade and then decided it was too light and purchased a darker shade. When venturing to other make up products, I used the lighter shade as a concealer and when wearing this alone I used the darker shade that was a better match.

There are many tips and tricks I can share about this powder because I've been wearing it for so long. If it is too powdery or cakey looking on you, there are 2 options to fix this. One is to get your facial moisturizer, rub some between your hands, and press/pat your hands onto your face over the powder (be careful not to use a rubbing motion or it will smear the make up, just press into your face). I like doing this in the winter when my skin is dryer and more welcoming of extra moisturizer. If you'd like, you can use a sheer matte finishing powder after this process to keep shine away. I sometimes do or sometimes don't depending on if I mind the dewy look. The second option to fix cakey/powdery look is better for oily skin and in hot whether. I use a setting spray over the powder when I'm done with it. Originally I used E.L.F.'s setting spray, but the formula breaks me out. Now I have water in the E.L.F. bottle that I use instead.

For those that find this powder does not control oil adequately, I find that using a sheer matte finishing powder works wonders. I currently use Everyday Mineral's finishing powder (because I bought a kit from them and I want to use it up, it's not spectacular but it does the job). There is Rimmel Stay Matte for $3 at Walmart, there is the $5 Palladio rice-powder that is at Sally's Beauty Supply/Ulta that a friend of mine raved about, and there is the $6 E.L.F. studio HD powder which I've also heard is great. I, personally, will be trying out the E.L.F. powder when I am through with what I have. I prefer to press the powder onto the face for a good finish with a flat-top brush.

For those that want to have more coverage, but only want to use this powder on the face, the method that works best for me is to buff 2 layers of this powder onto my face. Then, I take a small brush (not a concealer brush, but a small, round-top, dense brush by EcoTools that came in a set) and concentrate this powder on my problem areas only. I buff it over each blemish and under my eyes. This method makes this product a full-coverage product for me. If I need it, I also use Physician's Formula green concealer stick on blemishes to even out the redness.

Sometimes I go a couple of months with this powder with little to no break outs and I am extactic. Sometimes I break out while using this powder although I cleanse my face twice a day, exfoliate, and use a clay masque.Lately the latter has been the case. I believe this could be because my powder has been expired for quite a while. I bought it on sale because it was going to expire within a few days of purchase. I am contemplating buying a new jar to see if using a non expired powder changes anything.

PROS: Cruelty free, great coverage for a mmu, lasts a long time, not very expensive, controls oil, may not beak out the skin, great rating on www.ewg.org , no harmful ingredients/chemicals, spf.

CONS: Very matte (no light-reflective properties which can diminish the look of blemishes), messy application, doesn't last on the face for a long time, need to apply it certain ways to get certain effects.

EDIT 9/20/13

I have changed...

Overall Rating from 4 to 3 (3 = it's okay)
Price to 2 (you can buy them in bulk from Overstock/Sears. $20 for 4)
Would I repurchase from yes to no.

This powder does give great coverage, does have good ingredients, does promote organic farming (even if it's just a little), and does contain a TON of product in the jar. However, I can no longer wear this foundation. It makes me sad, really. The first jar of it I purchased I used up just fine. My skin was healing! The second I bought, I began breaking out. But I didn't notice it so much because I used the second jar and first jar pretty much interchangeably. Now that I have purchased 4 new jars (the bulk sale) I have found that this does break me out with cystic acne and some white heads. This just sucks, because I felt safe with this make up. But hey, people can develop allergies/reactions at any point in their lives. I guess my skin is more sensitive now or something. I still recommend that others try it, because it was great to me. Regrettably, e will never be able to be life partners, though.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by Lovepink7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first loose powder. It lasted for a decent amount of time. The coverage was good. I bought this in buff beige, but it was too light for me. It's not cakey. It has a weird smell to it, but it's bearable. Didn't make me break out though. The brush is scratchy and rough. Would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 1:14:00 AM More reviews by OnlyCrueltyFree

I was so happily surprised with this! i was looking for a new Mineral Foundation powder for work. I had been using mineral powders for work purely for my skin. I have never been a mineral power fan, it just doesn't cover enough. I just used it for my skins sake.
After buying this Powder in a sale I have to say it really is the BEST! it really actually covers and makes my face look flawless... its my new fav! im so glad i found it.. I even wear this on weekends.... what a find!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/26/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by anaelleee

I bought this for $15 CDN and I thought that since it was a brand that I generally liked and it was an organic product, that it would be a steal, but there are just so many things with this product I make me dislike it :I However, I gave it 3 lippies because the concept is great and it's organic, and it makes your skin feel smooth, but it stops at that for me.

The brush it comes with is bad and you really shouldnt depend on it, I suggest investing in a really good brush :) the annoying thing is, you cant get to the product without opening the lid that holds the brush. It's just complicated and unnecessary, but it;s nice of them PF to offer a brush with the product instead of an even crappier sponge/puff :)

My last issue is the smell...oh gosh, I cant even describe properly how bad mine smelt..Maybe I got a pot that's almost expired or something, but I would say the product smelled like dried animal dung or something, it smelled so bad I couldnt put it near my face! I know it doesnt cake and has a really fine and soft texture because I tested it on my hand over some BB cream, and when I noticed the smell, I just put a bit by itself on my other hand, and oouf, it really was the powder's fault.

Due to the smell, I cannot say if its staying power and oil control are good or not, but if you do decide to buy it, I hope yours did not smell as bad as mine did...into the trash it goes!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/28/2011 10:10:00 PM More reviews by missxwillow

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I did not like this product much at all.. This was almost as bad on my skin as the tinted moisturizer! It did not give me the coverage I wanted, it melted off my face, and the powder got everywhere! I did, however, use this on top of another foundation and found that it worked better that way, but it still did not hold up the oil control at all. It still came off my face way too easily. Overall, the only thing I liked about this product was that it did not irritate my skin and it did a decent job evening out my skin. Other than that, I would not buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2011 2:14:00 PM More reviews by jsm12170

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this product! I remember I puchased it one day when I was looking for a good everyday loose powder and my friend saw it and conviced me to by it even though it was kind of expensive. I had Sheer Cover before and that was my first expeirience with loose powder and it was awesome, but it didnt last long. I got home and wanted to use it right away and I noticed that it just came with this little brush so I came up with the idea of using my old brushes from my Sheer Cover set because it had come with a little soft brush for "problem areas" and a bigger one for full coverage and blending. So I used them and the Organic Wear covered so nicely and it hid all of my little blemishes beautifully! I couldnt see them at all! It worked better than my Sheer Cover! I was in shock. My roomate also saw how well it was working and she went out and bought it and loves it too! This product also lasts forever. I bought it over a year ago and there is still more than half of it left! The only thing I would do if your going to get it is to get a little "touch up" brush for problem areas. Other than that this is an awesome product and one of the best puchases I have ever made!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2010 10:40:00 PM More reviews by blackrose1225

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE IT!
nothing works better to hide my pimples or discoloration. this also lasts all day. it's amazing. i don't even need to use a concealer or foundation with it, it covers everything. it's also alll natural, which i love. so it doesn't make me break out. i've slept with this on before, and it was still perfect the next morning, and didn't break me out. whenever i fall asleep with other foundations or powders on, i'm not so happy with what i see the next morning. thank you, so much, for making this product. i'll continue to buy it forever. (:

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2010 5:49:00 PM More reviews by polystyrene67

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Poor oil control, poor staying power. I bought this at Winners (Canada) at a discounted price, or I would be annoyed. The brush is crap, and the powder smells funny. I'm still using it to help set my eye makeup as I'm too cheap to throw it out, but I will look for a better product

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2010 10:37:00 AM More reviews by thupham2

Pros:
- Beautiful air-brushed finish
- Impressive coverage
-Innovative packaging with mini brush and mirror
- You get a lot of product, like A LOT

Cons:
-makes your face whiter in photos with flash
-mediocre lasting power
-over-applying leads to cakiness, so this is not a powder that you can layer
-low to mediocre oil-controlling powers (BIG NO NO for me)

Would I repurchase? No, I've oily skin so I look for powders that are long lasting & keep oilies at bay without need for too many touch-ups. This doesn't do that. I gave it 4 instead of 3 stars because the finish it gives is great (even if its lasting powers aren't)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2010 10:14:00 PM More reviews by l3ff

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this over a year ago. I still have half the product left in the container, so although its a little expensive, it definitely lasts a LONG time. I remember I was using bare naturals by loreal (i think) and I had to get a new one every couple of months since the product ran out.
The brush in this product is terrible. I would use a different brush for sure. It's not soft and the brush will not give you even coverage. Also, the packaging of the powder is a little strange. It comes with a lid and then a smaller piece that fits in where the powder comes out..if that makes any sense at all. I completely ditched the lid and just use the smaller piece. I havent had any spillage when I've been traveling at all, so it's pretty good. I definitely wouldnt pull it out like I saw some people doing on youtube. Also, the part where you get the powder out of is pretty large, so your whole brush will fit in, which is really nice.
I really like the powder since it has a kind of pinky-hint to it. I'm as pale as it gets, so the pinky-hint kind of gives me some extra color that I really need. I have it in translucent medium organics.
It's not going to give you full full coverage, but it works really well over a foundation color that is kind of bland. It gives you the necessary "natural" looking color you need.
I am definitely going to repurchase. I think its one of the better loose powders out there on the market.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No