Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.3

100 NATURAL CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I've been wanting to try this mask for a while after hearing all the good things about it. Normally I use Queen Helene or St. Ives, which both contain kaolin clay, so I already know it works. However, Aztec is 100% kaolin and contains no parabens or preservatives, and you mix it yourself with equal parts of either water or ACV. I already use ACV on a regular basis as a toner and it does wonders for cleaning out my pores and evening out my skin, so I assumed it would be even more effective mixed with kaolin. Oh boy, the reviews are right! This mask is powerful. You can really feel it cleaning your pores. It smells horrible, but then again so do Queen Helene and St. Ives, and that's how you know they work! The mask hardens after a few minutes, so much so that your face feels like it's covered in concrete, but it's a good feeling, especially around the eyes when you haven't slept well. The drying of the mask is what makes you feel like your face is "pulsating", and it just means that the clay is drawing out the gunk (bacteria, sebum, old makeup) from your pores. After a while, it will start to crack and your face will resemble the Salt Flats of Bolivia. But when you wash off the mask, you're left with baby-soft skin! Yes, your face will be red at first and you will have to moisturize, but the deep-cleaning action of the mask is what helps clear acne and reduce the size of your pores. I'm trying it also as a spot treatment for cystic pimples, since I know it works with the other masks I mentioned. Just dab a bit of tea tree oil on the pimple and cover with a tiny bit of this mask, leaving it on overnight. The oil will kill the bacteria and the clay will draw it out. It should be tame in the morning, no need for acne meds or harsh ointments!

on 10/13/2018 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

This clay has been a staple in my beauty routine for many years. I mix a small amount with Apple Cider Vinegar and let it dry after I steam my face first.
Has a extreme tightening effect, pulls white head/black heads out and helps to heal acne. Once a week is best.

on 9/14/2018 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have been using the product for over a year now and I decided it's a good time to write a review. I believe this product works exceptionally well at cleaning pores and pulling stubborn zits to the surface, which overall speeds up the pimple process. I believe the key is to try putting the mask on areas that need more attention. I use the mask like a spot treatment and use it twice a day on pesky pimples. You really see a difference after using the mask - the contents of the pimple is pulled up to the surface and creates a bump that was previously within the skin. I find that makes blemish spot treatments more effective when applying them right after the mask. I always mix the mask with apple cider vinegar.

I also use the clay mask on my eyebrows. I like a more fuller looking brow, so I let the mask sit on my brows while I put it on my skin. I find the pulsating properties of the mask to increase blood circulation and promote hair growth.

Overall, it's an annoying process to continually mix the clay with apple cider vinegar, and yes it can be painfu, but you can make a thinner, diluted mask to combat that. I personally feel that the pros outweigh the cons.

Also, just a small thing to consider. My skin has a tendency to be quite fragile and get broken capillaries easily. If you are the same and have areas on your face that have a tendency to have broken capillaries like the nose, make sure to not leave the mask on too long or avoid those areas altogether. The pressure of the mask can create more broken capillaries if you aren't careful.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

For reference- my skin is normal with an oily T-zone at times. I don't think this mask lived up to the hype or at least up to all the glowing reviews on Amazon. Yes, it makes your skin pulsate, but aside from that it seemed average. It's pretty similar to other masks in terms of soaking up oil and maybe leaving your skin a little smoother afterwards but nothing exceptional. A personal preference- I decided I don't really like mixing with another ingredient (you can either use water or apple cider vinegar according to the package), it's just another step to deal with. I also don't like the smell of this stuff either. I don't need my masks smelling like flowers or anything, but this was a little too earthy and muddy for my liking so it definitely doesn't help the experience. I have a lot of it left and am looking to give it away, not worth it for me to keep.

on 7/9/2018 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I LOVE THIS CLAY MASK! It literally made my skin's condition so much better. My skin is now smooth, soft, supple, glowing, clean and minimized my pores. I use raw, unpasteurized, unfiltered, with the mother apple cider together with it and fizzes right up when mixed and using plastic utensils to stir the clay I use a brush to apply it to my face and leave it on until it dries and cracks. The pulsating effect is real here and feels very satisfying, tightening of the face kinda hurts but very tolerable. I use it 2x a week and sometimes more when my skin is breaking out, dull-looking and stressed. This is the greatest clay mask I have ever used. MUST-HAVE guys! and definitely worth the hype!

on 6/30/2018 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have oily skin, mainly my tzone and I get a few pimples and the odd cystic spot.
I saw the rave reviews and I much prefer clay masks for my skin type, so I thought I would try it.
I bought the 2lb/32oz size so it will last ages. I was pleased that the expiry date is 04/2020!
From reviews that I read, people were using a tablespoon, which is 15ml, of equal parts clay and cider vinegar. I tried that and found it to be too much. It was too thick on my face. So I use a dessert spoon amount which is 7.5ml and I found that that is a really good amount for me. It’s easy to mix up and form a good face mask consistency.
I use Aspall, Raw Unpasteurised Organic Unfiltered Cyder Vinegar and contains the Mother.
I mix equals parts in a plastic bowl and use a brush to apply on to clean, dry skin.
I haven’t got sensitive skin so I left it on for 20 minutes the first time I used it but now I leave it on for 25-30 minutes. You can feel the mask pulsating! That amount of time works best for me.
To remove, I wet a face cloth and hold it to my face to wet down the mask and then wash off. My skin is red but not sore or uncomfortable at all. I dry my face by patting lightly with a microfibre towel. Then I immediately apply a thick moisturiser. I like La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume or Nivea Creme, the one in the blue packaging. This works straight away to keep my skin soft and topped up with moisture.
After around 30 mins the redness has gone and I am left with lovely, soft skin. My pores are so much smaller, spots have reduced and continue to reduce and I’m glowing! I also have less spots and much clearer skin in general. I am less oily and more glowing now, which I love. I find makeup applies better and more flawless.
I use this twice a week as it’s more beneficial to use it regularly. This is cruelty free and natural and beats all of the other masks that I have tried, low end and high end. I just love it and will keep using this, it’s a staple in my skincare routine. I would definitely recommend trying it. It’s so worth it and very good value.

on 6/6/2018 7:55:00 AM

I have acne-prone skin and a very oily T-zone, the rest of my face is normal. Acne has been my major skin issue since forever. I bought this mask online after discovering Lush's mask of magnaminty. I love that mask, but it's quite expensive so I started looking for a more affordable one, then I came across Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay. It's more expensive in Europe than in the US, I think I paid about €22 for 0,5 kg. You really don't need a lot of clay though so this tub lasts forever.

My favourite way to prepare a mask is by using 1 plastic coffee spoonful of clay (those spoons you often find in a pack of coffee), 1 coffee spoonful of apple cider vinegar, two drops manuka essential oil and then I add a bit liquid honey. I get a smooth paste every single time. This mask always improves the condition of my skin. I always use it at night and my skin is so much better when wake up the following morning. My pimples have disappeared or are reduced, my pores look cleaner and my skin is less oily and really glowy and soft. I use the mask once or twice a week, I leave it on for 20 minutes and yes my skin is flushed once I wash the clay off, but the redness fades fairly quickly. I also put an old piece of cloth on the plughole of the drain so the bits of clay don't clog it.

This mask is amazing for people who suffer from acne prone and oily skin just like me, though I agree that this may be too potent for people with dry skin. Definitely get this if you have oily skin and acne, this face mask blows all other, expensive and high end masks out of the water and it's 100% natural and free of any harmful chemical ingredients! If you want the mask to be gentler for your skin, add more honey to the mixture, if you want to give your skin a thorough treatment, forget the honey and let the clay suck all of the dirt and sebum out of your pores!

I only can confirm what everyone is raving about: This stuff gives you a better skin condition.
What I achieve by using this 5-6 days a week:
- glowy, smooth skin (that wasn't possible before)
- bye bye pimples (this takes about 3-5 uses to get rid of them)
- extraction of whiteheads works like a charm now (you still have to use tools to get them outta your pores, though)
- no dryness, less oily skin
- less need of concealer/foundation because skin gets better and better (yessss, I can focus more on my eyes and lips now)
- confidence rises.

The price is amazing! I could imagine an expensive brand charging about 50$ for being the same product.

I recommend using raw apple cider vinegar. Apply a thin layer (I use 2.5m l/ 1/2tsp of the powder and 2.5ml / 1/2tsp of apple cider vinegar) and remove when you have enough of it or til it's dry everywhere where you applied it. A medium or thick layer needs more product, more time to dry and is harder to remove. So it's true, use less, win the most!

PS: Nardo Visgo has an amazing set for measuring spoons: their 10-Piece Thickened ABS Plastic Measuring Spoons/Cups Set on amazon. I bought it with my own money, without recommendations or codes (yes, this ain't an ad). I even bought it another time after a week.

I really don't understand all the rage over this mask. I bought it off of Amazon, thinking it would be some sort of miracle-worker from all the reviews I had read. I have dry skin, which is relatively sensitive, so I only kept the mask on for about 7 minutes on average. Before I started using this product, my acne was only prominent on my chin and a bit on my left cheek (which was getting better slowly). After using this mask for about 2-3 weeks, I started breaking out on my right cheek and forehead (which I had worked so hard to clear up!). Definitely do not recommend this mask for sensitive, dry, acne-prone skin.

on 5/17/2018 2:29:00 AM

I use this mask at night around 2 times a week with ACV & leave it on till its fully dry which takes around 45 mins, I then remove this with a warm wet face cloth.

First impression is that once I wash this mask off my face is bright RED and dry, my pimples look irritated and when I use toner (Son & Park Beauty Water or rose water) it stings all over. Though miraculously when I wake up the next morning my skin looks lush, much more brighter and 'glowy' as opposed to the days I don't use this mask, the redness is completely gone, my skin feels really soft and my pimples are smaller; though this mask only helps me with those slightly larger painful pimples, whiteheads & those annoying stubborn small spots on the forehead, this does not in the slightest help with blackheads. I have noticed that scaring from acne goes much quicker although I wouldn't put all credit into this product but into the moisturiser I use after I use this mask (rosehip oil). This mask is very very drying you have to use a moisturiser afterwards, I did the mistake of not doing this at first and woke up with my nose peeling & some dry areas on my cheeks.

I have used this for over a year, I really recommend this product to anyone that wants a powerful treatment against acne. I have no pimples now, I just get the occasional one around my time of month which is fine as after using this product it will disappear within 3 days or so. I wish this product came with a plastic scoop though since I almost always make more than I need.