Rusk Speed Freak Blow Dryer

No Image

4.3

This is my first non-drugstore blow dryer, and it really disappointed me. I started blow drying my hair again almost two years ago, and for the first year I used the Conair Infiniti Pro. I actually liked it, but figured that if I'm blow drying my hair twice a week I should invest in something better. I chose the Rusk Speed Freak based on the MUA reviews.

I've used the Rusk now for about a year and I really, really wanted to like it, but it has slowly dawned on me that it...isn't that good. For one thing, all the settings are hotter than they need to be. The highest setting on the Rusk is *way* too hot to use, so that gives me one less option. I think I tried it a couple of times and my hair looked dull, dry and awful - it clearly was doing some damage. I occasionally use the medium setting, but that's still pretty damn hot so I only use it for short blasts on hair that's more damp. Even the lowest setting is similar to the medium setting on my Conair. And the "cool blast" button on the Rusk is actually still kind of warm, so I'm not sure it has the same effect as a cool button that actually results in cold air. I almost exclusively use the lowest heat setting on the Rusk, because it's the only one that doesn't feel like it's scorching my hair (or make my hair look scorched afterwards).

Even using the lowest setting on the Rusk, I think my hair looks duller than when I used my cheapo Conair one for blowouts. Does it dry my hair faster than the Conair? Sure, but honestly, not by that much. It's pretty fast I guess if you use the hottest setting, but the resulting blowout is not really want you want, especially if you already have damaged hair.

I bleach my hair so damage from heat styling is a concern, and recently I did something dumb and my hair is more compromised than usual. I'm not going to stop blow drying my hair, but I knew I had to abandon the Rusk blow dryer and go back to my cheap, trusty Conair one, where I can actually do most of my blow drying with very low heat and minimal damage. And, I really do think my hair looks silkier and healthier in general after a blowout than with the Rusk.

I think the only reason I continued using the Rusk Speed Freak until now is that I didn't want to believe I wasted money on a blow dryer, but it is what it is. This one *might* be a good bet for people with really strong or virgin hair, but I don't think I'd recommend it for those with color treated or otherwise compromised hair who want to limit the damage of heat styling. You'll probably find, like me, that you pretty much have one usable setting with the Rusk Speed Freak.

Pros:
Very lightweight. This is especially helpful when drying hair with a round brush.
Not terribly expensive.
Dries hair FAST.
Not too noisy.

Cons:
This dryer blows air so hard that it has the tendency to tangle my hair.
My hair appears dull after using this compared to my Chi dryer.

I felt this dryer was damaging my hair so I put it in my spare bathroom and bought a Chi dryer. I feel the Rusk Speed Freak dryer would be more suitable for someone with shorter hair. It just wrecked havoc on my long hair. It really is lightweight and dries hair fast though.

on 10/18/2016 8:36:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I liked it, until one year down the road.... It wouldn't turn on. Instead, smoke started coming out of the back. This expensive hair dryer was a waste of money. I am going back to Hot Tools or Conair.

on 9/17/2016 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My salono sparked and starts smoking. Asked my hairdresser for suggestions. This beat salono price was 1/3 $80 at ultra. I have APL thick highlights hair. To straighten and do a good job took 35-45 minutes. First time out with this dryer 15-20 minutes and looked as good as hairdresser which I NEVER get. Switches are a little awkward and it can get REALLY hot a little over medium dries my fine hair. I won't dread washing my hair this winter! Even if this lasts a year I will still be satisfied as I can fry conair type dryer in six months With twice a week usage. My hair even feels smoother but I'm an oil mask conditioner junkie.

Almost a year later and still going strong but will admit pushing blow drys out to every 5-6 days.

on 4/4/2016 6:42:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This thing is amazing. I've had mine for several years and it outperforms pretty much every hair dryer I've ever used, except for my ancient inherited early '90s Revlon dryer, which was a beast and a half (RIP ol' buddy). My hair takes an hour plus to dry with other dryers and about 8 hours to fully air-dry. It's that thick. With this dryer, I can rock a blowout in 30 minutes flat if I use it on the hot/high setting. OK, my blowout skills are pretty awful, but it's not the dryer's fault. I rarely blow-dry my hair in summer so when winter rolls around and I dig out this blowdryer, it's pretty magical. It's super heavy so to be fair I took off a lippie, but I may add it back the next time I use someone else's blowdryer and am totally blown away (ha) by the contrast in performance. Because believe me, it'll happen.

Best part was I got it on sale at TJ Maxx. Nothin' better!

on 6/15/2015 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This blow dryer is unreal. It dries my hair in minutes flat. I have collarbone length hair that has just a few strategically placed highlights, and frizzes like crazy. The Speed Freak tamed the frizz and left my hair silky. The best part: I bought it from Amazon for $56.

on 5/30/2015 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I wish I loved this blow dryer. Mostly because when my boyfriend told me it was ridiculous I was spending $85 on a hair dryer I argued that it would be life changing and totally worth it, but it just isn't. I don't notice any huge difference between this and my previous blow dryer. It blows hot air at my head and as a result my hair dries. I am not sure if I got a fluke but I don't notice a huge heat increase, and it only mildly reduced my dry team. It gets the job done, but I was disappointed for the price.

on 12/10/2014 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium

After my old hairdryer went out (It lasted 10+ years), I did some research and decided to go with this model. I purchased from Amazon for a good price. I used it for the first time and was amazed about how quickly it dried my hair. I have very thick hair that is just past my shoulders and it always take ages to dry. This literally took just a couple of minutes. My hair does look shinier too, which I am slightly surprised about. Overall, this was a great purchase.
Update: Can't say enough about this hairdryer! I love it! I'm getting compliments on my hair, and all I do now is literally blow dry it. No need for me to waste time curling or straightening to give a finished look. My ends are gently curled under without the use of a round brush. I simply dry my hair on medium with my hair flipped over, and use the cool setting when my hair is about 90% dry. Then I brush it with a flat boar bristle brush (with my hair still flipped over) and that's it!
I always thought a hairdryer was a hairdryer, but boy I was wrong!

on 12/5/2014 1:24:00 PM

I've had this for 6 years. It is so effing good. Hot hot hot. Nice cool and low speeds. At this point, the cool shot button has fallen off, but there is no change in performance. This will dry, style, refresh or burn hair if you're not careful. You really do need heat protection product if you use the concentrator. I have fine thick hair that is bra strap length, and can dry my hair in 10 min. Loves. Recommended highly.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Count me among those who thought a blow dryer was a blow dryer. But one day while scanning over threads on the hair board, I saw some discussion about what a huge difference a good blow dryer could make in one's styling life, and I was intrigued. I can be the biggest cheapskate ever, but if something is going to give me kick-azz hair, I will gladly hand over my money to test it out, especially if I'm shopping at a retailer with an excellent return policy, like Ulta :) So anywho, I headed home $100 poorer, but with my new turbo dryer to test out, and holy moly, this Speedfreak dryer was so powerful that I blew a light bulb globe out of the fixture over my sink, and blew a picture off the wall behind me. My bathroom looked like a war zone, but my hair was voluminous and shiny and manageable, and completely more awesome than it had ever been before with my cheapy dryer. I've seen the light, and I'm forever converted! It's amazing how much quicker the dry time is, and how much less I need to style with my curling iron now that I can blow in a great base style. If you're on the fence, I'd highly recommend that you give a Rusk dryer a try too.

Popular Hair Styling Tools