Rusk Speed Freak Blow Dryer

No Image

4.4

Pros:
Very lightweight. This is especially helpful when drying hair with a round brush.
Not terribly expensive.
Dries hair FAST.
Not too noisy.

Cons:
This dryer blows air so hard that it has the tendency to tangle my hair.
My hair appears dull after using this compared to my Chi dryer.

I felt this dryer was damaging my hair so I put it in my spare bathroom and bought a Chi dryer. I feel the Rusk Speed Freak dryer would be more suitable for someone with shorter hair. It just wrecked havoc on my long hair. It really is lightweight and dries hair fast though.

on 10/18/2016 8:36:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I liked it, until one year down the road.... It wouldn't turn on. Instead, smoke started coming out of the back. This expensive hair dryer was a waste of money. I am going back to Hot Tools or Conair.

on 9/17/2016 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My salono sparked and starts smoking. Asked my hairdresser for suggestions. This beat salono price was 1/3 $80 at ultra. I have APL thick highlights hair. To straighten and do a good job took 35-45 minutes. First time out with this dryer 15-20 minutes and looked as good as hairdresser which I NEVER get. Switches are a little awkward and it can get REALLY hot a little over medium dries my fine hair. I won't dread washing my hair this winter! Even if this lasts a year I will still be satisfied as I can fry conair type dryer in six months With twice a week usage. My hair even feels smoother but I'm an oil mask conditioner junkie.

Almost a year later and still going strong but will admit pushing blow drys out to every 5-6 days.

on 4/4/2016 6:42:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This thing is amazing. I've had mine for several years and it outperforms pretty much every hair dryer I've ever used, except for my ancient inherited early '90s Revlon dryer, which was a beast and a half (RIP ol' buddy). My hair takes an hour plus to dry with other dryers and about 8 hours to fully air-dry. It's that thick. With this dryer, I can rock a blowout in 30 minutes flat if I use it on the hot/high setting. OK, my blowout skills are pretty awful, but it's not the dryer's fault. I rarely blow-dry my hair in summer so when winter rolls around and I dig out this blowdryer, it's pretty magical. It's super heavy so to be fair I took off a lippie, but I may add it back the next time I use someone else's blowdryer and am totally blown away (ha) by the contrast in performance. Because believe me, it'll happen.

Best part was I got it on sale at TJ Maxx. Nothin' better!

on 6/15/2015 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This blow dryer is unreal. It dries my hair in minutes flat. I have collarbone length hair that has just a few strategically placed highlights, and frizzes like crazy. The Speed Freak tamed the frizz and left my hair silky. The best part: I bought it from Amazon for $56.

on 5/30/2015 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I wish I loved this blow dryer. Mostly because when my boyfriend told me it was ridiculous I was spending $85 on a hair dryer I argued that it would be life changing and totally worth it, but it just isn't. I don't notice any huge difference between this and my previous blow dryer. It blows hot air at my head and as a result my hair dries. I am not sure if I got a fluke but I don't notice a huge heat increase, and it only mildly reduced my dry team. It gets the job done, but I was disappointed for the price.

on 12/10/2014 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium

After my old hairdryer went out (It lasted 10+ years), I did some research and decided to go with this model. I purchased from Amazon for a good price. I used it for the first time and was amazed about how quickly it dried my hair. I have very thick hair that is just past my shoulders and it always take ages to dry. This literally took just a couple of minutes. My hair does look shinier too, which I am slightly surprised about. Overall, this was a great purchase.
Update: Can't say enough about this hairdryer! I love it! I'm getting compliments on my hair, and all I do now is literally blow dry it. No need for me to waste time curling or straightening to give a finished look. My ends are gently curled under without the use of a round brush. I simply dry my hair on medium with my hair flipped over, and use the cool setting when my hair is about 90% dry. Then I brush it with a flat boar bristle brush (with my hair still flipped over) and that's it!
I always thought a hairdryer was a hairdryer, but boy I was wrong!

on 12/5/2014 1:24:00 PM

I've had this for 6 years. It is so effing good. Hot hot hot. Nice cool and low speeds. At this point, the cool shot button has fallen off, but there is no change in performance. This will dry, style, refresh or burn hair if you're not careful. You really do need heat protection product if you use the concentrator. I have fine thick hair that is bra strap length, and can dry my hair in 10 min. Loves. Recommended highly.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Count me among those who thought a blow dryer was a blow dryer. But one day while scanning over threads on the hair board, I saw some discussion about what a huge difference a good blow dryer could make in one's styling life, and I was intrigued. I can be the biggest cheapskate ever, but if something is going to give me kick-azz hair, I will gladly hand over my money to test it out, especially if I'm shopping at a retailer with an excellent return policy, like Ulta :) So anywho, I headed home $100 poorer, but with my new turbo dryer to test out, and holy moly, this Speedfreak dryer was so powerful that I blew a light bulb globe out of the fixture over my sink, and blew a picture off the wall behind me. My bathroom looked like a war zone, but my hair was voluminous and shiny and manageable, and completely more awesome than it had ever been before with my cheapy dryer. I've seen the light, and I'm forever converted! It's amazing how much quicker the dry time is, and how much less I need to style with my curling iron now that I can blow in a great base style. If you're on the fence, I'd highly recommend that you give a Rusk dryer a try too.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

So I was planning to purchase a Twin Turbo but was too impatient to order it online so I figured I'd head over to Ulta...upon getting there I tried out a few of the blow dryers and this one got extremely hot and the air was fast which is what I need. I have 3c, THICK african american hair that falls down to my butt. Normally, with my old conair, it took about 55 minutes to blow dry my hair straight and I still had about 40 minutes of flat ironing to do. This blowdryer gets my whole head dry, stick straight, and silky in 20 minutes.I was truly amazed. AND, I didn't need to flat iron...I still did because I like an extremely sleek look but if I was pressed for time I wouldn't have. I am in love. It gets EXTREMELY HOT. Like, don't wear any jewelry while using this because it will burn you. And your hair will smoke...I tell myself it's the product but it's probably not...doesn't matter, my hair is stick straight and silky after using this. I purchased it at Ulta for about $119 when you can get it from Amazon for like $70 but it was worth it to me to have it that day. So excited about this blowdryer.

Popular Hair Styling Tools