Shu Uemura Liquid Eye Liner - Black

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Shu Uemura Liquid Eye Liner - Black

3.3

Aqua (Water), Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, BIS-PEG/PPG-16/16 PEG-16/16 Dimethicone, Sorbitol, Laureth-2 Benzoate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Ammonium Hydroxide, Sodium Cocoyl Apple Amino Acids, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sodium Polyacrylate, Coconut Acid, Hexylene Glycol, Trisodium Edta, Sodium Chloride, Disodium Edta, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Methylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

on 6/22/2014 7:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was given this as a present and it's been sitting in the back of my drawer. My usual Maybelline gel eyeliner ran out and decided to give it a try and I was not disappointed. Once I got over the initial setting up of the pen (same concept as a fountain pen with disposable/replaceable ink cartridges) I loved how versatile this liner is. The tip reminds me of a Chinese calligraphy paint brush. The tip is designed so you have complete control over how thick / thin you want 2 draw.

And as a 30+ woman with drooping eyelids, this pen did wonders for drawing winged eyes. This is definitely a new favourite for me and I am just praying that it won't start streaking or drying out like some of the other reviewers have mentioned.

on 6/2/2014 4:27:00 PM

Excellent quality pen packaging however , for me, this eyeliner just didn't work well, I'm normally a long term fan of Shu's products but this pen just dried up quickly and didn't draw a clean line for me. I think you have to store it ink facing down so when you come to press the button to release the ink it will flow out quickly but I kept it in my makeup bag and when I had to use it it was always dry and I had to wait until it flows downwards. Stopped using this product but the packaging it fancy. thought it was rather expensive altogether.

on 6/27/2012 6:34:00 PM

I have been using this eyeliner for a month now and am finally accepting that it does not and will not work for me. I'll briefly summarise my experience:

Pros:
(1) Beautiful packaging - sleek black pen with a screw top cap to ensure no leakage
(2) Enviro (and future spending) friendly with the reusable pen only needing replacement catridges
(3) Nice brush tip which is solid enough not to flick everywhere but soft enough for the sensitive eyelid skin
(4) If you get it on, it does last the whole day (10 hours for me)

Cons: - Only one but its a BIG FAIL as an eyeliner
It doesn't go on smoothly!! This is my key frustration with this eyeliner. It streaks and you have to go over the line several times - which you can't really do either because each time you go over it, you wipe off what's already there! Its beyond frustrating. On top of that the little streaks that remain when dry, flake off and stick to the pen. I honestly spend more than 10 minutes every time I attempt to use this eyeliner which is too much time in the mornings before work.

I have honestly tried everything from washing my face with a cleanser before application (remove oil from my lids) to storing the pen upside down to warming the pen (better liquid flow?), to pumping like a maniac before use etc but nothing really gets it to work perfectly. At best it goes on quite alright on one eye but then returns to misbehaving with the other eye.

For such an expensive pen from a well reputed company I had expected a lot more. Makeup / Skin care doesn't always work for everyone so perhaps I might have just been unlucky.

On a side note, I have oily lids which get pretty oily throughout the day but so far the two eyeliners which have worked best for me are:
(1) Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof - waterproof, long lasting, easy to apply but not the best for fine lines
(2) Koji Dolly Wink (deep black) - capable of the finest lines, long lasting and absolutely no smudging, no streaking, no flaking and provides the smoothest application!! My only gripe is that it isn't waterproof for me so I'm still on the hunt for a HG eyeliner.

on 7/29/2009 12:11:00 AM

This is water resistant. It only comes off if you rub it. No transfer at all otherwise. Only problem is using it. It gets clogged up. I figured out that you have to wet the tip to get the ink running again after it dries. Also this is super expensive but i love the brush. It's really soft so it doesn't pull on your eyelids. Also you can control to create a thick or thin line. the color is nice and dark. But sometimes when you draw on the line a second time, the line disappears but its better than hourglass (due to the better brush). Hourglass pulls on my skin.

I have been using liquid eyeliner for years and this is the best one I have come across. When I was much younger I used the various drugstore brands, and they worked fine but too more effort to get a perfect line. Before this I used Christian Dior's liquid eyeliner and I loved it--except for the way the brush would wear terribly and before I'd run out the brush would be too splayed to draw a neat line. The brush on this is fantastic and I noticed that if it does get a little light in color, I just need to lightly rinse and wipe (as a previous poster mentioned), then click for more ink and it works like new. I think the other people who didn't find the line opaque enough may not have clicked enough out of the brush initially. And today I learned that this works on the inner rims--another way to wear it--yay! It worked great, so I don't have to use my Laura Mercier cake liner and brush (although now I have both, hm). This is so easy to use--definitely my hg liner for now :)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the refillable liner in black. I wish I could give it a better review, as it does have some good qualities. The best part is the bush and the packaging. The brush is brilliantly designed to give very fine application. The trouble is the formula, which applies way too lightly (as in pale, not deep black-- you have to layer but then it starts to skip) and it not the least bit water-resistant on my skin (it's somehow more water resistant on my hand, which presumably is not that oily. I have oily eyelids). In my current makeup mode, I am using this to fairly good affect on my upper lid for a winged look, but I can't use it on my lower lash line at all. It applies better over cream shadow than anything else (bare skin or powder shadow), and lasts fairly well on the upper lid. But its just not versatile enough for me to justify the price, despite its couple strong points. Shu could improve it by making the pigments denser and more waterproof-- then it would be perfect.

Could this product suck any more!? NO! It's not possible, Wet'n Wild eyeliner could probably put this to shame. I got all excited over the lovely packaging and its just so neat. But that's where the quality stops. The formula truly couldn't be any worse. I think I could concoct a better one in my kitchen. I've been using BB gel liner for 2 yrs. I like it, but I miss innovative, convenient packaging, so I got this. First of all, it doesn't have NEARLY enough pigment. When you use a product like this, obviously you are looking for a nice precise black liner, not something sheer. So then I tried to put another layer, but it doesnt really layer, it just wipes off whatever you just applied and deposits it somewhere else. It looks so splotchy and uneven. And I have mad skills with applying liquid liner, but this was a joke. One time, I managed to get a semi decent line, but its odd, because its like shiny or something, and it just looks strange. Later in the day it cracked and flaked off in chunks and looked absurd. I honestly have no idea how this recieved a score higher than 1.

on 9/19/2005 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

A very densely pigmented liquid with generous felt tip applicator, super fine precise needle point. Dispenses liquid easily and uniformely, no dripping (common with brush applicators). Dries almost immediately and shape and pigment stays put all day. Does not crease or smudge- a rarity on Asian lids like mine that tend to fold/curl under.

on 6/6/2003 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Have to agree, this stuff rocks! Always had problems getting straight lines with liquid eyeliner, but this one is foolproof. LOVE the idea of the little replacement cartridges. Whole product looks slick & professional and I have also just tested its waterproof properties by being caught in a rainstorm! What do you know, it stays put. No more coming in from the rain looking like Marilyn Manson, yay!