MAC Cosmetics GLAM

4.8

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Would I buy this product again MakeupAlley asks me? In a heart beat, if it wasn't discontinued! I thought I lost this lipstick last week and got really upset - that is how gorgeous it is. Funnily enough, I actually bought this lipstick a few years ago and basically forgot about it until recently. I remember not being too keen on it because I thought the undertones were too fushia and it didn't go with my colouring at the time. I dug it out last week and popped it on - wow. Gorgeous intense matte colour (not as matte as Ruby Woo therefore not as drying) and lasted for for hours without any need to touch up. The reviews below describe the colour well - a blue, crimson, fushia toned intense bright red...like red roses. But it is a beautiful red lipstick, one of my absolute favourites now, and such a shame MAC don't do it anymore. EDIT: I've realised that Revlon's 'Cherries In The Snow' is quite similar. By no means a dupe at all but it has the same hue and tone, unfortunately not with a deep matte finish like Glam.

All the reviewers below have described this color most accurately, so I won't bother. What surprises me, though, is that it basically looks like a more glazy version of Ruby Woo in the tube. The color you get on paper is something completely different! Moral of the story is: Ladies, swatch before you buy!

Texture wise this is less chalky than Ruby Woo, and therefore more forgiving on my lips. That's probably my main reason for giving it 5 lippies, instead of 4. In a way, it is less matte, so for me it is more wearable than a true matte lipstick that would require the totally perfect uncluttered look, which I only can achieve for like the first 30 mins after putting on my face. After that everything floats freely. I usually wear this with some lipbalm on top. I would probably do it well by paring it with lip liner, but I haven't gotten so far yet.

I am not so sure I will buy it again. But I am more "yes" than "nay". So, we'll see...

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is another amazing matte lipstick from MAC that just invokes glamour and classic Hollywood style. The color is more of a pink/blue base red than say Ruby Woo (MAC) or Red Lizard (NARS). It has a bit of pink in it, like a berry undertone but the color is vivid and bright, not dark. It is gorgeous and I can see myself wearing this a lot. This lipstick pairs well with MAC's Cherry lip liner and it also has great staying power. Moreover, I feel it does not dry out my lips like some matte lippies can do i.e. Nars' Velvet Matte pencils. Great product!
EDIT 6-24-09: I tried using my "Back to MAC" for this color yesterday and I was told by the MAC MUAs/SAs that Glam has been discontinued. I wanted to cry! Glam is one of my all-time favorite red matte lipsticks. First, MAC gets rid of Moxie (bright pink based retro matte red) and now they retire Glam? What were they thinking? I am not sure if any color will be able to dupe this. I am sad.

I like this as an alternative to Russian Red, when I'm wanting more blue based. It borders a bit on fuschia almost, and I find that when I tone it down, its actually becomes a very bright pink color.
I have to agree that the color is similar to that of red roses.

I remember when my husband bought me a dozen red roses, and the roses reminded me of a particular color of red that I had eyed at the MAC counter at the town we were staying in. I had to have the color, there was no leaving town without it! I do not regret my purchase, either!
Glam is definitely not for the faint of heart - IT'S VERY, VERY BOLD!
I was surprised that this looked so good with my brown hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. If anything, it enhanced the color of my eyes and my hair and skin! I was pleasantly surprised!

This will definitely be a repurchase for me!

Hello gorgeous, where have you been all my life?

It's fair to say I'm a girl that LOVES my bold lippies, and am particularly in love with Mac ones - Ruby Woo, Girl About Town, Impassioned, Lady Danger, these are my favourite lipsticks EVER and I think I will cry if they ever discontinue Ruby Woo or Impassioned in particular.

I really did think, y'know, that I had *enough* bold Mac lipsticks until I saw THIS, and then I fell in love!!! It's like the PERFECT marriage between fuschia and scarlet - crimson, if you will! - the colour of a summery poppy - basically a red, with a strong, strong bright pink undernote which boldy peeps right through. It is STUNNING in a word!

This lipstick is also something of an HG/end of quest item for me: a friend of mine has this BEAUTIFUL, much envied lipstick from Avon(of all places) called Cherry Ice, which was discontinued years ago and is very similar to this, Glam's the only lipstick QUITE like Cherry Ice that I've ever found (and I've tried EVERYWHERE) so I'm delighted!!!. I love my friend very much, but even so, found myself half considering if it would be worth doing away with her and hiding the body just so I could pinch that beautiful, beautiful pink-drenched DREAM of a crimson-cherry lipstick. Now, thanks to MAC, her life is safe, lol! continued >>

Glam is a HG lipstick. Glam appears BRIGHT crimson. I am a PPP with blue eyes & dark hair. It took me seconds to decide to purchase it. It is "matte", so it goes on flat. This is best, as reds bleed. Lots of glosses work over Glam if you don't like the matte look or if it dries up your lips. I love Nars Revolt, a sheer grape gloss, over Glam. Many glosses change Glam to a fuschia color. Glosses over Glam also can make Glam bleed. I'd repurchase Glam!

I cannot believe this shade has not been reviewed more...Stunning, blue based matte red...If you can pull off dramatic colors or need something intense for a special occasion..try this one.....I wore this to my wedding and it photographed extremely well...looks great with pale skin dark hair, very snow white looking.....

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

ZOWEEE!! This is definitely, definitely, absolutely NOT for the timid!

It should come with a warning label!!

"Ask your doctor if 'Glam' is right for you."

Important: "Glam" looks NOTHING like the swatch on the MAC website. On the site, it looks like a fairly standard red. In reality, however, "Glam" is closer to being a deep, super-bright rose. It's sort of like "Girl About Town" has a redder, more sophisticated cousin from the big wicked city.

Seriously, this is one dramatic color: A deep, super-intensity red rose with heavy pigmentation and a matte finish. I find it to be slightly dry, but that's okay; I plan to wear a bif of gloss over it anyhow, to add a touch of shimmer.

"Glam" is so intense that even after being blotted, it's still pretty bright.

I love brights, so I LOVE "Glam!"
I think it's one of those "sleeper" shades that you don't hear very much about because few people are bold enough to try it.

If you're looking for a "notice-me" lipstick in a cool-toned vivid pink-red, "Glam" should be first on your list to check out! I'll buy again if and when I run out. I hope MAC keeps making this unique, striking color for a very long time!

NOTE: As stated above, I don't much care for the very matte finish of this lipstick. BUT when I top it with a bit of fine shimmer powder(MAC Frost pigment or Pure Luxe's "Glass Slipper" Pure Shimmer)+ a bit of clear gloss, the result is almost too beautiful!

Here is a bad but fairly color-true(though maybe just a touch less pink in photo than in reality) photo:

It's worth noting that you should avoid this lipstick unless you want bright pink-red lips for a while. Recently, I ate an entire Mexican-food meal and when I was finished, both my lips and my napkin were quite stained. Sadly, in August 2006, I have heard that "GLAM" is going to be discontinued, so I may buy a back-up soon.
UPDATE: I've had this for about 4 months now, and I wouldn't want to be without it. I can see why it might not be for everyone, though; the color is beyond intense, the texture very matte. I've never seen a shade like this in any other line, though. I hate to be repetitive, but "bold red rose" is the best description I can muster. It's pretty close to the color of, well, a red rose. On me(pale pink-ivory skin, dark brown hair, green eyes)"Glam" is dramatic without being OTT. I wouldn't try to pass it off as a true red because it's too pink for that, but a subdued, demure "rose" it certainly isn't, either. If you're looking for a unique shade that's somewhere between the two, definitely check this out!

NOTE: I panicked and bought a back-up of this. I'm nervous about it being discontinued, and I've already seen it being offered at an inflated price at places other than the MAC site. I just don't want to be without it. When worn with emerald green or royal blue, it's just indescribably good!
UPDATE NOVEMBER 2007: MAC *has* discontinued "Glam," drat it! Fortunately for me, I bought a backup earlier in the year, when discontinuation rumors started, so I doubt I'll ever run out. The trouble is, I don't know of a decent dupe for "Glam;" it's that unique of a color. Sigh ...
ABOUT DUPES: I e-mailed MAC to express my dismay over the yanking of "Glam," and to ask about a dupe. The reply was "The closest thing is MAC Red." I didn't own MAC Red, and thought it was just like Russian Red, so I thought, "Eh; good thing I backed up "Glam"!

Well, it *is* a good thing I backed up "Glam," because it is truly unique, but I bought MAC Red, and it's much closer to being the same color as "Glam" than I'd ever dared hope. MAC Red is a Satin, though, so if you liked the color of "Glam" but not the texture, I highly recommend that you try MAC Red.

So, all is not lost ...

UPDATE March 2918: I have stopped buying any and all MAC products, because of their animal-testing policies. Happily, though, I've discovered that Jordana's Modern Matte Lipstick in "Matte Dahlia" is a decent, though far from exact, dupe for GLAM. Matte Dahlia lacks the intensity of GLAM, but it's the closest color dupe I've found so far. Another inexpensive cruelty-free option worth considering is ColourPop's "Poppin'" Lippie Stix, though it leans very pink. continued >>

This lipstick has va va va voom! Very intense rose to bluish red, not for the timid. (Unless you top with a lustre, etc). It is a matte texture, but NOT drying like some mattes. It lasts quite awhile. Only complaint, I look better with a little shimmer, and it could be toned down slightly (NW 25), I think even darker complexions this has plenty of color. Great for a glamorous look! (No pun intended).