MAC Cosmetics Matte Lipstick - Chili

4.6

I thought this would be a nice orangey red but I guess it depends on your skin tone, on my olive toned skin it appears to be a bright red not much orange! Formula is nice, creamy, sets to a matte but not drying but I prefer glossy lips so I tend to top it up.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Chili is Mac's best-selling lipstick of all time--11 are bought every minute globally. (I love trivia, especially about makeup.)😀
I think the other famous Mac reds--Ruby Woo and Russian Red-- are beautiful on other people, but they just don't look great on fair-medium, warm, blond moi. But enter Chili and I am in burnt-orange heaven. (Go Longhorns!) I find it easy to apply from the tube with no liner and can't believe that I can pull off such a bold lipstick. Chili is just perfect. Everybody needs a red hippie in their stash and Chili is my holy grail. As many bold/dark colors are, it is a matte and applies smoothly and wears well. But if it didn't I would love it anyway and just have fun reapplying. Chili is a real winner! You probably need it. 😘
Respectfully submitted,
colormepink

A very special '90s-flashback matte rusty red that's still relevant as hell today. The only reason I'm not giving this 5 lippies is that orangey shades like this make my teeth look yellower than they are. It's not MAC's fault-- but it's the reason I only reach for Chili every so often. Other than the teeth thing, Chili looks fantastic against my light golden-toned skin and auburn hair. Would not recommend this shade at all for cool-toned ladies-- it's for yellow undertones only! It is the classic MAC matte formulation, so it is extremely opaque, does not bleed outside the lipline, and does feel pretty dry on the lips once it sets. However, it's not going to give you that parched, pucker-mouth look some matte lippies can.

Ultimately, I find Viva Glam I just a tiny bit more flattering overall, so I tend to prefer that one for my matte red lip look. For comparison, VGI is about the same level of "darkness" as Chili, but has more neutral undertones (ie, brown but not orange). But, if you have perfectly white teeth and warm skin tone you may absolutely FLIP over Chili!

Gorgeous burnt orange shade on my fair skin. Perfect for fall.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Of all my MAC lipsticks, this one is my favourite. I was surprised because I don't gravitate toward brick red or rust shades. This is so unique that it's hard to describe but I'll just say Chili is a perfect name for it. It is reminiscent of red chili powder. It's more brown than red or orange. The texture is both creamy and substantial so it stays perfectly applied for a long time. I used to want only wine colours and wore Dubonnet for years. Recently I wanted something reminiscent of the brownish hues of the 90s and I got both Paramount and Chili. I love them both but this is slightly less dramatic and brown than Paramount. I alternate them. MAC lipsticks are so excellent. By the way, I am always complimented when I wear either Chili or Paramount. They are so very flattering. I may wear other shades and other brands, but if I look at pictures of myself wearing these I can easily see why people think they are so beautiful. They definitely are!

This is a matte warm rusty red with lots of orange tones. It is the lipstick equivalent of the Burnt Umber Crayola crayon.

It's a beautiful shade. I highly recommend trying it on first though - it looks very different on me than in most pics I found online. (I have olive skin, and dark hair/eyes.) It can look like a straight up orangey red in photos, and it does feel like that when you apply it tbh, but it is more of a rust-brown-red in the end. This shade is super beautiful and flattering on me, and unique in my stash. It's exactly what I am into at the moment. The MAC matte formula is hit or miss in my opinion, and Chili is in the hit category. It applies easily (almost too easily, be careful!), opaquely, smoothly. It has a silicone-y feel to it, which makes it slippery and prone to smearing/transfer, which is why I am not giving it full marks - however a liner VASTLY helps. VASTLY. There is a matching MAC liner (Chicory I think), but I have a Revlon one in Sienna which is perfect, and there is a NYX one (I believe Ever is the shade name) that is supposed to be good too.

I don't find this lipstick *too* drying, and this is from a girl that literally cannot wear any liquid lipstick formula. I always wear a smidge of balm underneath; it doesn't ruin the wear of this one. But Chili is a knockout shade. It's vampy but not too much (I hate feeling like I'm walking behind my lips, if you know what I mean), and it just makes me look hot, which really, is all I can ask for. Also, I got this as a Back 2 MAC so it was a gooooood day :D

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I own 3 MAC red lipsticks- Russian Red, Ruby Woo and Chili. Of all of these reds, Chili is the only one I'll repurchase.

Ruby Woo is too strong and almost garish against my skin, Russian Red is only slightly better but Chili is my perfect red. It's warm (because of the orange tones) and muted (because of it's brown tones).

For reference I'm an NC42 with golden/yellow undertones and this shade of red is especially flattering.
It looks fantastic on my skin tone - one of the few red lipsticks I can pull of confidently.

Chili isn't hugely popular because it's not really a universal red. On cooler complexions, it will probably look muddy but if you have warm and muted i.e 'Autumn' coloring, you need to get your hands on it.

This shade was so hyped up in Asia. I purchased it to use in the winter season, but for some reason, instead of bringing colour to my face, the brick red sapped it from my cheeks. It really depends on your colouing for whether this is a hit or miss. I looked ill. I passed it on to a friend who loves it.
I favour brighter shades like Dangerous, Lady Danger and So Chaud.
For reference, my skin is NC15.

It is beautiful itself, a brick red, long lasting, but just not flattering on me.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Sometimes you don't want to go red but you want a color that's strong and confident. Chili has those properties and warmth! This is a great color for tan, brown and deep complexions. It looks fabulous on my Estee Lauder Bronze complexion with out looking too bold. It looks like a deep brown red, but more in the red family on my complexion. It's a color that I can wear it to work and no one would ask if I'm going out that night.

It's matte and it is somewhat drying but not as drying a Ruby Woo or a liquid lipstick like ColourPop. I find the texture opaque and creamy enough. There will be a need to touch up later and there's definitely transfer. I like to wear Mac Mahogany lip liner when I want a play off the warmth of the color and Mac's Auburn when I want to give it to pull more red.