Quo Nail Polish

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Quo Nail Polish

3.7

on 12/29/2013 10:48:00 PM

I bought "Infinity and Beyond" last week and was all excited for some festive nails.

It was so thick and goopy that it was basically unusable. In the bottle it was glitter suspended in a light blue base, but on barely any of the glitter showed up. It was almost impossible to get it to look smooth on my nails and I gave up and took it off. I won't be using it again. It was also pretty expensive, so I am really disappointed.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

* A review for the Quo by Orly line, as other seem to be posting them here instead of making a new category.

Product's Claims: True or False?
1) Fast drying: True
2) Long lasting: True
3) High gloss: True

Packaging:
The polishes in the line mimic the general design of ORLY polishes. They have a long black rubberized handle with a slight inward curvature. The bottles are clear glass with four distinct edges - these and their corners are rounded off - and there is a bit of roundness to each of the sides. These design features make the bottles very comfortable to hold in my hand while opening and the opening of the bottles is very easy overall. Each polish is labelled with a sticker on the bottom for the colour, and there's a large white Q stamped on the top of the cap. Where the packaging lacks a bit is in the brush. It works well for me but the brush overall does look a bit cheap in comparison to the rest of the design as the bristles are not cut evenly (some bottles are more pronounced than others in this, but they all seem to have that same unevenness). This doesn't seem to affect application for me. The brush used is long and slender, but I feel like it's just slightly too slender for its length and could benefit from a bit of added width, but overall I have no significant issues with the brush with these polishes.

Formula:
I would estimate that I've purchased and tried nearly half of the currently available polishes in the line and I've been happy with all of them. A few are a bit iffy in the formula but they all produce results I am happy with. I have (and will) reviewed the polishes I currently own and so info on the formula for specific shades can be found in those reviews. The line has a nice mix of colours as well as finishes - creams, metallics, shimmers, glitters, and a few jellies (I'd say that Green Meadows, mentioned below, could be considered a cross between a cream and a jelly, and with two coats it's 95% opaque, 100% opaque with three). They are also introducing gels, but I've never tried those (from any brand) so I can't really give any thoughts on thsoe. I'm sure many of these are rehashes from the ORLY line itself but Sally's locations aren't as numerous or easy to access as Shoppers locations, so I'm fine with buying the Canadian offspring even if its colours aren't completely unique. Most of the polishes have a thinner consistency that makes spreading easy, and most are opaque in two coats.

Performance:
Aside from a few somewhat iffy bottles the polishes perform very nicely. As mentioned they go on opaque fairly easily and they also spread nicely. I only thinned out two upon purchase, and one was likely only in need of thinning out because it has been used as a tester by others (as evident by a crusty layer around the opening when I opened it at home). Even the somewhat trickier ones I've tried still produce an end result that looks smooth and even, only the more metallics tend to go on a bit brush-strokey. All dry down glossy and retain the gloss well. Wear seems about the same as other brands for me, I usually get 4-7 days of wear without chips and only minor tip wear (unless application error on my part or damaged nails).

Bang for your Buck:
14ml/0.48 oz for $10.00CAD at Shoppers Drug Mart, and sometimes they will be on sale for about &8CAD. This is definitely a pricier offering, although most who shop at Shoppers will know that Shopper's brands are often on the pricier side compared to other drug stores. Seems to be similar in price and product amount as brands such as OPI, so it's definitely not a big splurge.

Final Thoughts:
Overall Quo by Orly is turning out to be one of my favourite polish brands, and I am eager to give the parent brand a try. Aside from a somewhat lackluster brush it excels in the other areas, of course with a few polishes here and there that aren't as great as the others, but all are very workable and produce a great finish. Definitely recommended, and hopefully they will extend the colour range further and include some of the seasonal colours as permanent additions.
* Overall Rating: 4.5/5
* Price: 2/5
* Packaging Quality: 4/5
* Repurchase: Yes.

Got a package of 18 mini-size bottles of Quo polish for $42 at SDM. So far my favorite colors are Purple Daydream (neon cool pink with sheen--so bright and fun), Love Game (burgundy with blue-purple metallic sheen), and Cream Pop (bright coral red creme). Any of these would be great toenail colors. I also like the Steel Heart, a dark metallic grey that's perfect for a darker fingertip polish that I can wear with my ultra-pale skin without looking Goth.

The 18-pack is a good mix of cream, metallic (subtle to frosty), and drab colors. My only complaint is there are no true purples, only a few with purple tones. The set also includes a matte white and a clear pink for French manicures. There aren't a lot of

Worst color is Green Meadow (a transparent teal - barely shows even against my ultra-pale skin tone). It's the only true "dud" in the pack.

Wear: Used these polishes on my toes all summer and they wore well without any base or topcoat, lasting 5-7 days with no chipping, and 2-3 weeks with minor touch-ups. The wear is comparable to Opi polishes.

Popular Polishes