LipSense Lipsense Color

LipSense  Lipsense Color

3.4

on 7/24/2018 9:44:00 AM

I first tried this product at a bridal show and could not get it to work for me. Then a friend at work starting wearing it and everyday she came in with a color more beautiful than the day before. So she linked me to a Facebook page of vendors going out of business and a friend that is currently selling the product. My first color was Bella and the Pearl Gloss this looked totally different on my than my friend but still love it. I have a dozen different colors now and my lips do look better than ever before. My hesitation is the cost and getting it off so I gave it a 4, but I do enjoy this product and will buy again.

I tried LipSense because a good friend highly recommended it as super-long-lasting, which I need: lipstick does not last on me, at all. I purchased two colors and several glosses for $22 each (I actually paid a little bit less due to special pricing discounts; the normal price is $22). Although I am still using it several months later, there are a few things to it that are not to my taste.

First, the product tingle/burns when you first apply it. The distributor said that it was because it was resurfacing your bad lip skin, but really, my lip skin is not bad at all. I thought this explanation was pretty bogus, and my lips are actually in worse condition after I use the product--I can't use it every day. Second, the smell is bad and the taste is bitter, very bitter. Not at all pleasant. Third, you have to apply at least 3 layers of the color and, to make it last, 4 are recommended. Fourth, in order to make it last as long as they say it lasts, you have to keep reapplying the gloss that protects the color. Like, every few hours. If you don't, it comes right off. Fifth--it is EXPENSIVE. $22 each for the color and the gloss is insanely high, plus there is a special remover product to take whatever remains off your lips...also in the $22 range.

Things I like: the product is minimally packaged, which appeals to my environmental sense. The color range is great, and you can create even more looks by layering different colors on each other during the application process. The glosses also come in a huge range of effects, from clear to pearly to sparkly and a ton of colors, and you can wear the glosses alone. I actually think the glosses are the better products.

Overall, I found that this product didn't last any longer than the drugstore "long lasting" lip products, requires the same amount of re-application as regular gloss/lipstick and/or the long-lasting kind (which also require re-application of their over-coat sealant or gloss/balm), and costs twice as much. Plus, being a multi-level business operation, their practices are suspicious. I'm going back to the less expensive brand after I use up what I have. I apologize to my friend, but this is not the product for me.

on 7/4/2018 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This has to be the worst lipstick/lipgloss ever, and I've pretty much tried them all. This stuff BURNS, it STINKS, and it tastes worse than monkey butt. Plus, for all that? It doesn't last. I followed the directions to a T, and it was off by mid morning, plus it gave me that weird ring lip thing. For this price go to Sephora and get something decent.

I was leery about trying lipsense because i had heard a couple bad reviews. To my surprise i love it! It really does stay on all day long. A tip i received was to gloss before eating and that will prevent it from coming off. Ive bought several colors and love them all. The only downfall is that the application process takes a little longer than just applying a coat of a regular lipstick or gloss, but to me its worth it because its not going anywhere the rest of the day.

on 5/31/2018 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I'm sorry but I just can't deal with the huge amounts of alcohol. I caved and bought 2 of these (and a gloss, which I like) from my cousin who, clearly, has been brainwashed by the Senegence company.

It' is not a tingle. It BURNS.

I tried Fire Opal and Bombshell - lovely colors, horrid formula.
I wish they were "regular" lipsticks so I could wear them without drying the f-outta my lips.

FAIL.

I was very excited at the chance to have a lip colour that wore all day as I struggle to find any that doesn’t fade with in a few hours. This however did not stay on my lips for more than an hour or so and was completely removed when I ate. This is with following the instructions and using all the suggested products. Furthermore, I used it for a few days in a row and my perfectly happy lips turned into a dry mess. I even started to develope sores on my lips! I haven’t had this issue since 4 years ago when I took accurate, and this product made my lips even worse than that did! Definitly not worth the price. I find the long-wear matte lips by maybelline perform WAY better, feel nicer on my lips and don’t cause any where near the same dryness.

I was very disappointed as the two colours I bought were beautiful and I’d heard so much about its staying power :( I even looked up vids on YouTube on how to make it stay longer and nothing worked! DO NOT BUY

There was so much hype with this product in my friend group that I of course had to try it.

I bought the top coat and the color "Nude". First off, I do love the color. The application though is not entirely enjoyable. There is a burning/tingling when applied to the lips. You will need about three coats to achieve the color, or mix and match with other colors as well.

The closest thing I can compare this too are alcohol activated palettes, such as the ones by skin illustrator for SFX makeup. Parallel between both: it does not come off until you want it to come off. The nude however since it is a neutral/brown color needed to be reapplied at points.

There is a special remover that lip sense offers, making this purchase a trio. Personally, I did not believe I would need it, and I did not. If you have a good make up remover, it will come off. It may take an extra few minutes. Save yourself an extra $20.00.

I only use lip sense when I go out to events where I won't really be able to reapply my makeup and rather not have to worry about it. You can eat and drink with it and apply the top coat every now and then to keep your lips hydrated.

Since this is an alcohol based product, it is important that you apply this top coat to your lips or they can potentially dry out. I made that mistake a couple weeks after the purchase and needed to use medicated chap stick to bring them back to health.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

WORST lipstick ever.. Will destroy your lips. I had chemical burns and chapped lips for a while after using this product. Not worth the money AT ALL. Don't fall for it :(

on 2/26/2018 11:52:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I loved the staying power of this lip color, but it ruined my lips! I followed all of the directions, and I used only their lip gloss, applying it constantly over a several week time period since that was supposed to cure the chapped, peeling, burning lips. I finally decided the staying power of the color was not worth my lips hurting and peeling like they were.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I really wish there was "Maybe" button when asking if I would buy again. I would use it for this product. I finally tried the Social Media famed Lipsense yesterday in Blu-Red. So far, I really like it. It definitely stays & I love the color! It smells pretty awful though & if you don't keep the Glossy Gloss on your lips, it also tastes pretty icky...like a bitter chemical taste. Thankfully, I haven't had any peeling issues. I'm not sure if it's because this is my first time using it or maybe it just won't be a problem for me. I have heard others complain about the peeling issue though & apparently the company & its distributers claim your lips go through an "exfoliation stage" due to the wax based products people use on their lips. That's a load of crap. The peeling is due to the alcohol content & anyone who understands the basics of anatomy will know that our lips are designed to exfoliate naturally. Wax can not stick to your lips for years. That is just a marketing ploy to lock customers into buying ONLY Senegence products.

Having said all that, I still really like this lipstick. A lot. If you can get past the extremely steep price, then it is definitely worth trying. I have found that people's opinions on this product are quite polarizing. So far, I think it's pretty great, but perhaps after wearing it longer, my opinion will change. Despite the homely packaging, smell, taste & steep price of this, I'm still giving this 4 lippies, because the lasting power makes up for all of that. Well, I don't know...maybe not the price. It is so expensive! :-( Anyhoo, I will update in a week or two to see if my rating still holds up.

*********************"UPDATE************************
Well, it's been about a week since I made this review & I am sad to say, my lips are a peeling, raw mess since I used this stuff. I have always had extremely healthy & soft lips and I have always taken good care of them. Just earlier today, a small piece of skin on my bottom lip peeled off & it is slightly raw underneath. I must say, I'm feeling quite a bit of discomfort at the moment. I'm trying not to smile, so my lips don't crack open any more than they already have. Ouch! This kind of thing has NEVER happened to me before & I'm really regretting ever trying the stuff. Yes, it has amazing lasting power, but if it destroys your lips in the process, then it probably isn't worth it. I'm really bummed out about this, but I won't be touching the stuff ever again. I'll just be over here nursing my poor lips back to health. 😔