Revlon Norell

Filtered by skin type : Combination
No Image

4.1

I suspect I sampled the new formulation - I don't know if the lettering was vertical or horizontal but it was at a retail store and the bottle looked quite new... Anyhow, the opening phase of Norell to me was very similar to those of L'air du Temps or Wind Song, which on me are dry green florals. It dried down to a not-unpleasant though barely-detectbable base on me in about an hour. I'll take a pass on this one and just wear my L'air or Wind Song when I'm in the mood for such a scent. No Sale on the reformulation, but will update if I come across the vintage in my travels.

on 1/30/2009 2:45:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Lovely vintage-style perfume. It starts with that slightly metallic edge aldehydes impart to fragrances, with floral notes and an unobtrusive base. It falls into my 'tea party' fragrance category: perfect for tea parties, afternoon weddings or church. Y'know, somewhere you'll probably wear a skirt but not a full formal. Somewhere you want to smell nice but not turn heads with your fragrance. The waiter is the only one who leans close enough to sniff you and he looks pleased. That kind of fragrance. This is a tea party fragrance with quiet class and elegance. I like it more than I thought I would for a fragrance of this era. Lovely.

on 1/27/2009 12:04:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

First, I would like to thank the lovely ladies on here that recommended it, and helping me get the courage to try it. Thank you!! I'd also like to give a shout out to The Bombshell Manual of Style, which is what planted the seed of "must have norell" in my head. I bought the version by 5 star, which bought it from Revlon. I have never smelled the original but my mother went crazy when she smelled this, telling me how all of her mothers glamorous friends would wear this, my sin, and arpege. she said to me "Elizabeth, it smells old, but it smells glamorous. Bring it back, baby!"
And honestly, I do FEEL glamorous wearing it. It doesn't smell completely unique, and the bottle cap is a bit cheap, but there is something about it. Every time I get a whiff of it I just want to swoon and sashay. I've already had 4 ladies ask me what I was wearing, and when I told them their face went from puzzled to knowing, to excited. I'm in love with it. They say :This feminine scent possesses a blend of green florals, oakmoss, amber, musk, jasmine and rose. Whatever it is it's a winner for me. It was 19 dollars for the 2.3 cologne, not EDT.
I can certainly see why some would not like it, and honestly since I bought without smelling it, I thought I would not like it either. It isn't very trendy or sweet. It's really mature but not in the old woman sense, but in the doesn't smell of cotton candy and latex sense. I thought my boyfriend would despise this, because it's so different from my usuals (fracas, princess, insolence, etc), which he doesn't notice or comment on anyway. He FREAKED when he got close to me, it's like he was a blood hound smelling steak, he would not stop smelling my neck and asked me what I was wearing. He said it smelled delicious and familiar, he couldn't quite put his finger on it (probably his mom when he was a kid). It's just that my other perfumes cost in the 80's and this cost in the teens, and this one gets reactions.
Faye Dunaway used this. My bombshell manual says this scent is good with eyelet, charmeuse, and strapless white gowns.
I might make this my signature, I just wish it would stay strong all day. (or maybe my nose is just used to it.) My next bombshell scent I will try is L'heure Bleue.

on 4/16/2008 2:29:00 PM

It's amazing that there are reviews of this fragrance...I thought people essentially forgot about this!

Norell always reminds me of growing up in the 70's. This was my mom's fragrance for every day, so it completely reminds me of my mom. And that's not a bad thing because she was always elegant, fashionable and quite the hottie back in the day.

This fragrance is very well blended, and settles into this smoky amber moss after it's been on the skin for a while. I also like the carnation in this. It worked so well on so many women in the 60's and 70's. This is a classy, elegant fragrance to me. I could see it standing up to current fragrances.

on 4/4/2008 6:08:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This has been my HG, signature fragrance for decades. I know, I know, never admit your age, but I began wearing this when it came out.
I've had people stop me in stores, elevators, at work, and ask what i'm wearing. Even had a guy wonder why my husband let me out the door wearing it!
I always spray it before my adult kids come home cause this is what they grew up with me smelling like.
My new sig. frag is Seringa by Floris of London, which is a bit lighter, but doesn't have the staying power of the Norell.
I am not able to say it's different from the 60's, don't remember that well. I do like Joy, but don't wear it frequently.
Even if it's an old perfume, it is truly worth a try and I like to see younger folks try the oldbies, just as I try the newbies.

on 11/24/2005 2:59:00 PM

As another reviewer opined, it is difficult to believe that this complex, slightly spicy fragrance was introduced in the 60s (most sources say 1968). It has a 40s - 50s vintage air to it, and I can almost see myself in a simple, chic Norell outfit when I'm wearing it. It's not my most favorite fragrance - but its elegance makes me feel very sexy, and men seem to love it on me. I've just switched to it as my primary winter scent for private times and going out, having splurged on the shower gel and body lotion. It is NOT a daytime scent, unless you are in a business where sensual appeal is part of your job description :-) As to those who think of this as a 70s fragrance... for me that would be Halston. Norell is too too 50s in its intent.

on 7/4/2005 2:21:00 PM

I wish I loved this because I see it often enough. But it is one of a group of perfumes whose commonality I haven't yet distinguished that go painfully sharp on me. Hairspray is one aspect of the sharpness, bitter is another. Generic thick perfume accord without distinuishable notes, it leaves me literally touching my tongue to the back of my teeth at the dry-mouthed feeling it's bitterness on me induces.

Others love it, and I have to believe my problem with it is a matter of individual chemistry. I had a small bottle which I gave a roomate, and she smelled quite pretty in it, slightly tuberose-y if I recall aright. But for heavens sake, GET A SAMPLE of this before you buy it. I got my small bottle on sale and was still very irritated.

on 12/7/2004 11:42:00 PM

I can hardly believe there are reviews of Norell after all this time. Norell is one great scent! It is elegant and refined just like the designer's clothes in the 70's. I have always had the most wonderful complements when I wore this. Unfortunately, the quality control is not the best anymore. You can get some very poor stock and then you get the bottle that is delicious! Just like the wonderful parfume I remember. I wish they would reintroduce it with the full line of products again. If you can find it...try it. You may be very happy you did.

on 12/7/2004 11:37:00 AM

Norell is the smell of the late 1970's for me. It takes me back to skipping school, hopping a bus to the city and shopping all day. There was one huge department store that smelled of Norell the minute you opened the big gilded doors. It was like entering heaven to me. Nothing has ever come close. I ALWAYS keep a bottle of this on hand and love. love love it!

on 9/20/2004 8:45:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I really like Norell, it's not what I usually go for in that it's classified as a sharp flowery fragrance. However, I've never found it to be too much of anything. On me it's very soft and lovely and what I'd describe as elegant and I think it smells expensive, which it sure is not. I also love beautiful perfume bottles and I think the Norell bottle has a wonderful Art Deco look even though it came along after that period. I always appreciate it when a fragrance and it's bottle are a perfect match and Norell is.

Popular Fragrances