I immediately began to regret my purchase of this hair color upon reading reviews from various sources online. I seriously debated taking them back (bought three bubble head pink, turquoise, and wild red) and getting similar colors in another brand. Thankfully, I decided to try them out despite numerous negative reviews.
The results of the wild red color jamz were AMAZING. I used this color to dye my husband's hair. We did not follow Beyond the Zone's directions. It is awesome and the color is VIBRANT. Here's what we did:
1. The night before we dyed his hair, we bleached it using blue bleach and sensitive scalp 30 volume developer. He has dark blonde virgin hair so we didn't have to lift it but 2-3 levels to achieve a pale blonde color. It took 30 mins (roots last) to apply and we let him sit under a shower cap until the hair was the desired color (checking every 10 mons or so). We then rinsed the bleach out with a neutralizing shampoo twice and conditioned it twice with a purple conditioner. We put a dime size amount of leave in conditioner in his hair.
2. The next day we colored with the wild red color jamz. Upon opening the squeeze bottle I was seriously worried the wild red was more magenta than fire engine red like the color swatches at the store had suggested, so I mixed a half a bottle of wild red color jamz with a quarter size dallop of adore's jet black semi perm dye in an attempt to make it darker.
3. I started to apply the wild red in small sections of 100% air dried hair with a tint brush. I made sure to get as close to the scalp as possible and throughly saturated the hair. I then combed the color through with a fine toothed comb and wiped any excess back on the piece of hair I combed through.
4. Once I was done applying the color in the previously stated manner, I then clipped the hair up and threw a shower cap over my husband's wild red soaked head.
5. My husband left the dye and shower cap on for 4-5 hours then rinsed with warm water until the water ran clear. He conditioned but did not shampoo.
6. The color is FABULOUS. The color swatches at the store were not quite accurate, but the color is absolutely awesome (regardless) and we were incredibly happy with the vibrant results. It was supposedly a fire engine red color but it turned out a vibrant crimson red. Definitely red, not pink. I'm not sure how much the black dye contributed to that though.
Don't pay attention to Beyond the Zone's directions about applying the dye (follow the patch test though). The hair should be totally air dried prior to application of this dye.
Leave on as long as possible if you want vibrant, longer lasting results. I like to leave semi perm dye on the hair for 4-6 hours, sometimes more.
For best results, use on pale, bleached hair.
Just prior to use, avoid conditioners. Shampoo, air dry, apply dye. If you must use conditioner (we did), don't use a lot.
Work in small sections while applying color and heavily saturate the hair!!! I highly recommend a tint brush and fine tooth comb to get every last hair.
Use some heat from a hair dryer after applying the dye while waiting to rinse it.
Wash dye out with cool water and do NOT shampoo immediately after process.
We will most definitely be buying this product again.