Garnier Nutrisse Permanent Creme Hair Color

Garnier Nutrisse Permanent Creme Hair Color
Nutrisse Permanent Creme Hair ColorNutrisse Permanent Creme Hair Color

3.9

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Recently went from 'Naturtint' in 5N to Nutrisse in shade No.50. I made the change because as much as I loved the concept of a very natural/ammonia-free hair color, even the mildest of shampoos would strip the color out of my hair within weeks of applying, revealing all my greys! Nutisse is definitely longer-lasting and fits that middle ground, natural yet not overly so to render the dye ineffective.
I go through one box each time and use disposable rubber gloves (the kind you can pick up for around a dollar at bargain stores), not the ones that come with the color as they are shaped awkwardly and end up making a mess. I usually leave in for 40 minutes to get good coverage on those greys and then rinse repeatedly, shampoo and condition. No issues with color run or fading!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 9/11/2018 3:35:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I have porous, wavy medium /thick dark brown to black hair.
I tried a couple of the Nutrisse shades for at home balayage (Cool Tea 51 and Cool Brown B1. Reviews below.

9/2018 : Nutrisse Cool Tea 51 "Medium Ash Brown" (2 stars)
Four years ago, I did a sucessful and subtle at-home balayage with Nutrisse ULTRA Cool Brown B1 "Ultra Lightening Browns for Darker Hair" (5 star review below). However, it was discontinued last year. I bought the regular (non Ultra lightening) Nutrisse Cool Tea 51, which Garnier linked to as a substitute for the B1 on their website. The color and shade description on the box did look similar.

I did the same thin streaks technique as before, going even a little chunkier. But the result was barely noticable on my (virgin) very dark brown hair. Unlike the B1, Cool Tea 51 does not specify "Ultra Lightening", so this might have been the reason why it didnt lighten as well.

Cool Tea also did a poor (25%) job of covering the two small areas at my temples that are graying right after using it. Then the small amount of color it did deposit all but vanished in a few weeks. (In the past, the now discontinued B1 ALSO had the same result, so I ended up using a small amount of dark brown Loreal Feria IIRC, which covered everything nicely).

Overall, I can only give this shade 2 stars as it did not do much. (1 star for the bearable smell).
________
(Note) 1/2017
I'm still hoarding two boxes of B1 ultra Lightening that i bought a couple years ago for fear that this would be discontinued.

Garnier still sells Cool Brown B1 with newb packaging On thier website, the shade got a lot of bad reviews. Many people were complaining that either it did no color lifting, or that it left brassiness or "hot roots" (when oots turn orange-y/bright due being overprocessed because of the heat from your scalp). Guess I'll be holding on to my two old boxes. (Maybe they tweaked the formula)?

(Oct 2018: Garnier customer care told me not to worry about the product expiring.)
According to Salley Supply's website, unopened hair color has a long shelf life:
"Hair color products used to have freshness dates stamped on them. Some still do, but manufacturer testing has shown that the shelf life of hair color is almost unlimited if the bottle has never been opened."
--------
9/2014 : Nutrisse Ultra Cool Brown B1 (5 stars)
This Nutrisse Cool Brown is part of a small collection of "Ultra Lightening Browns for Darker Hair.

I wanted very subtle highlights and was hoping to find an at-home hair color that would not look brassy or orange on my very dark brown hair, which has a lot of red undertones. I hadn't colored my hair for many years, but I found it fairly easy to use.
I used it for at home bailayge (p). I applied it to tiny sections (10-20 strands) at a time with the edge of a brush, concentrating product on the ends, and diffusing it up with my (gloved) fingers upwards until it got 1-3" away from my scalp. The result was subtle highlights that added dimension, and no roots (it was completely unnoticeable as it grew out). The color result was a nuetral chocolate tone with a hint of gold and red (pretty close to the box color). It was only a shade or two lighter than my natural color, which is exactly what I wanted.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Firstly, if you have thick hair, even if its short, GET 2 BOXES. My hair is collar bone length but really thick, and a box was enough for my roots to be saturated, but I ended up with an ombre and had to dye the mids to ends again the next day. BUT, that being said, I bloody love this stuff!! I have been salon hilighted ash blonde for.... 7 years?? A couple of ombres in between.. but my god it was so expensive, and the regrowth always looked shocking!! Im a natural level 7 light ash brown.. I bought this in the colour Light Crystal Brown, and my hair is a gorgeous red-brown and looks so healthy! I look so much healthier, and I feel so free knowing that I will save about $100 a month now!! Super happy customer :)

on 1/8/2018 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral

Ok wow I'm still recovering from the heart attack this stuff gave me today..... I've been coloring my own hair for 20 years and have never had a disaster. I've used many different shades from many different brands. Today was just not my lucky day!!!

I used shade BL26, Auburn Black. I have very long, naturally dark brown hair and I keep it somewhere around that color but I'll choose shades with more golden or red or ash depending on what I'm in the mood for.

When I mixed this in the bottle, it turned a bright vibrant peach/coral/pink color. I was concerned but applied anyway. My hair processed to a hot neon vibrant pink color. I was running around the house panicking asking my husband what should I do?!?!!! I let it process 25 minutes because it seemed to be getting darker.

It took at least 15minutes of heavy water flow to get the pink and purple to stop bleeding out. When dry, my hair is a deep purple magenta color. It's not hideous and my husband says it's pretty cool, but it's not black, or brown, or any variation of those. It's a deep grape purple. I'm going to try putting another brown dye on top of it to get more depth and brown. I'm not I to the purple hair....

My hair feels great, very soft, smells good, and I lost no hair. But holy crap seriously, purple!?? Lol wow I don't even know what to say..... The price was cheap and the packaging is great. I loved the nourishing oil included and the conditioner was great. But dark grape purple?! It's literally 5 shades different than what the box shows! Seriously.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This review is for 66 True Red. I have light skin (fair with yellow/warm undertones), brown eyes and my natural hair color is level 2 Darkest Brown. My hair naturally lightens to medium brown with strong red tones during spring & summer. My hair length goes down to my lower back. It is very thick and diversely textured. I have kinky curly hair wisps on my temples & around my ears. The top of my hair comes out straight, then gets progressively curlier as it grows. This means the porosity of my hair varies wildly depending on the location. In other words, my hair is resistant to dye jobs in general. I started dying in September of this year because I'm getting noticeable gray & white hairs coming in around my face and top of my head. I'm not ready to look like an old lady, plus I've developed a fascination for becoming red head in recent months. I have used three other box dyes prior to this review, but I am choosing not to review those products as I've since learned techniques to preserving color that I didn't know then. My hair condition is exceptionally healthy; dye jobs are the only *harmful* process I do.

I dyed my hair using two boxes of this product on December 7th. I did not deviate from the instructions included with the product. I have to say I didn't care for the conditioning treatment included with the dye. It left my hair feeling dry & brittle. All the other conditioning treatments I've used (Feria, L'oreal preference excellence, & ColorSilk) left my hair feeling soft silky & very shiny looking. I did my entire head as the previous box dyes I used either didn't take or washed out completely. It had been exactly five weeks since I had dyed my hair before using this one.

I didn't notice much difference immediately following the process. A few days & one shampoo later, I took a photo of myself standing outside.

We live in the mountains & right now we have about 2 ft of snow on the ground. The outdoor photo looked great. It really looked like I have red hair, but indoors under normal lighting, it looks like I have brown hair with red tones.

It is now three weeks later and the color is faded a little, but is still very noticeable. I can tell because my virgin roots have come in & you can see the stark contrast from the dye job. Now....in all fairness the lasting power might have more to do with my hair care routine than the product itself. I waited a full 72 hours before washing my hair. I also started washing & rinsing my hair in ice cold water, & I decreased my shampoos from every other day to every 2 or 3 days. I use a color safe shampoo that contains sulfates. Yes, I said it. Do your research; sulfate free shampoos do not decrease the bleed of your dye job compared to sulfate shampoos. I always let my hair air dry so that didn't change. I don't believe in heat styling or heat styling products. I just use a leave in conditioner. Despite all this effort, I still saw my color bleed as soon as water hits my hair, but from everything I read, all red hair dyes will do this. Warm water will definitely make your color bleed faster; that one I learned from personal experience.

If you have dark brown hair like me and are looking to just enhance your naturally red tones that all brown hair possesses, you will likely be satisfied with this product. If you are looking to become a true red head in all forms of lighting, this probably is not the right product for you.

I will be trying L'Oreal Hicolor in a couple of weeks. If that won't make me a true red head, I give up!

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Bought garnier nutrisse in auburn brown. Have used this many times and had good results. This time, not so much. My hair is brassy looking and after 4 intense shampoos still have a red stain on my towels. Wont be using this again. Btw my friend uses the same color and she told me Monday that she left it on half the suggested time and it's still harsh red looking. If you've changed the formula, not a good choice.

on 8/20/2017 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Ive used many shades of this, but my favorite one is the 913 Natural Light Neutral Blonde, This is the color i use now and have used many times previously, it leaves me with a really nice light beige blonde and doesnt fry my hair. This product is one of the cheapest haircolors thats usually at the grocery store and I really like it , I just wish you got more product, other than that i really love it !

on 8/12/2017 10:47:00 PM

I've used this for years before I started getting it colored at the salon. This week I decided to do it myself again. Big mistake! Something has changed in the formula and I knew when I applied it that it looked different. It was a reddish orange color. I used the same color I always used (535 Med Golden Mahogany Brown). It previously gave me a nice warm brown color with auburn highlights. Now my hair is very red. I hate it and I'm glad this stuff doesn't take long to fade. I won't use it again.

on 7/25/2017 1:41:00 PM

I used medium dark brown at the weekend. I do not usually buy this brand, but was tempted by the advert. A huge mistake. It has wrecked what was silky smooth hair. Now it's dry and frazzled! I've tried a few rescue conditioners and give it a little bit of softness but it's still pretty bad. Now I'm contemplating having a few inches cut off, I've been growing it for 4 years, not even using hairdryer or straighteners in that time. Now I'm sad that I fell for the advertising.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've only recently starting colouring my hair myself and bought shade #50 Medium Brown. I figured this would be a safe bet as I'm only looking to cover some annoying greys that crop up along the front hair line. Previously I had my stylist color my hair but it is way too expensive and the color just doesn't last like these box dyes do. So, a couple of boxes (I have long thick wavy hair, and lots of it) do the trick and I can usually get them on sale so it's a no brainer from that perspective. I should probably use 3 boxes to get my hair fully saturated and at $6.99 CDN / box (sale price) it would still be cheaper than going to the salon. The dye itself is not horribly stinky, and if you get it on your skin it comes off pretty easily and doesn't leave a stain behind. This completely covers my grey and gives my hair a deep rich warm brown color which blends in well with my natural brunette color. There is a warm undertone to this which is fine as it is very close to my natural color and therefore most people are unaware I dye my hair at all. They also include a generous sized tube of color conditioner that leaves hair beautifully soft. I have not experienced any dryness, breakage, or other negative results from using this product and will continue to use it on my hair.

Popular Hair Color Products