L'Artisan Fragrances L-eau de Navigateur

No Image

3.5

Notes: coffee, spices, woodsy notes, floral notes, rum, resin, incense, tobacco and leather.

This fragrance opens with the familiar aroma of coffee, however, it is enhanced by smoky vetiver. A floral or citrus note lightens the impact of the two top notes, creating an interesting juxtaposition of smoke and floral, light and dark, earth and air. The scent is similar to Eau des Iles, but it is fresher and a tad sweeter. I ask myself if there is jasmine in this composition, because there is a faint indolic facet in the accord. It is a very pleasant fragrance, but not as rugged as Eau des Iles, the Artisan seaman is much more groomed. A well-crafted blend of coffee, vetiver, tobacco and flowers leads the scent into the dry down. Lasts six hours on my skin.

on 11/13/2009 7:10:00 PM

I've come to suspect that there are some aromachemicals, or perhaps "accords," or artisanal EO's that are being used by a few different perfumers. L'Eau de Navigateur is based on one of those.

Geodesis has a room fragrance (which I use as a fragrance), Wood Coffee, that uses somethingalso in LEdN. The accord is back-of-a-man's-neck, right at the hairline, or behind the ear where it's a bit funky on Sunday morning before the shower. It's a kind of musk combined with a bit of smoke or smoky wood (probably the latter). There's a little dry gourmand in there, a little coffee.

Anyway, Navigateur is NOT Navegar -- they are different fratrances. Navigateur has nothing sweet in it. It's not bad, but it's most definately Man Funk. As such, it's a near hit, but not quite for me, and I have to admit, spicy Gingerbreadgirl has hit it on the nose in her review. Kind of a log cabin, not frequent bather, smoky woodfire, coffee brewing scent. Geodesis seems to be going out of business, or disappearing anyway, but if you can find their Coffee Wood, you can essentially get Navigateur for 1/4 the price.

on 5/25/2008 3:23:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I get no flowers or coffee, but strong civet notes in the first off. Dry down shows wood, resin and leather with that taint of fresh body, but ultimately, itís warm myrrh and resins. Very nice at final dry down, but I have to wait through the body notes and that's not my favorite passtime. I'll pass. EDIT: Seems to dry down quicker in winter. I'm liking it very much now and thinking about a decant. Goes to show that seasons affect scent as much as chemistry.

on 3/31/2008 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Coffee, vanilla, woods....a little too masculine at first. It very quickly becomes a softer coffee-vanilla fragrance, but I don't think it's as good as Ava Luxe Cafe Noir or Neil Morris' Cafe.

Ashtray, pipesmoke lingering, odeur de man who doesn't bathe much but isn't afraid of the piney aftershave. This is what my Uncle Jerry's cabin would smell like if he ever stopped bathing. Golly Ned. The absolutely retchtastic ashtray smell backs off a little bit, as does the BO - L'eau de navigateur kind of pulls itself together at the end, but you can still smell the humanity. Oh, the humanity.

on 8/6/2007 8:40:00 PM

My opinion of L'Artisan has steadily been going up each time they release something new. Although this one has been around for a bit, when I first sniffed L'eau de Navigateur, I became convinced that these guys are one of the best (and most consistently good) perfume houses out there, period. LdN joins a long list of favorites for this perfume lover - and it ranks rather highly along with Dzing!, Bois Farine and Tea for Two as my fave L'Artisan. The fragrance starts off on a smoky, sweet yet light-as-air coffee note. I don't know how they do it, but only L'Artisan can take potentially heavy notes like smoke, tobacco, coffee, or vanilla and turn them into a light veil of scent that suggests, rather than oppresses with its presence. With drydown, the spices emerge softly and blend beautifully with sweet, vanilla-like myrrh and tobacco notes. It's a gorgeous scent for sure, sexy as heck and very urbane. It's perfect for any woman who likes her scents a bit more dangerous, a bit darker, and a lot more interesting than 99% of fragrances on the market. This, I understand, has been discontinued in the small bottles, but you can still get large ones from any L'Artisan boutique in NY and from The Perfume Shoppe in Canada.

on 10/13/2006 9:37:00 PM

Leather, woods, coffee, incense, a little salt, a pinch of myrrhe- L'Eau de Navigateur is dark yet crisp, dangerous, but elegant at the same time. Even though this is a man's scent, I actually feel very comfortable wearing it as the fragrance is so original and well-composed that it does not smell typically male. The first time I sampled this, I did not know what to expect- as the fragrance bloomed, I was so delighted I had a smug look on my face- I was in on the secret of the perfect unisex fragrance at last. Staying power is decent for an EDT. As the day wore on, I found myself at the gym and as I spun on my bike in spin class I caught adorable whiffs of Navigaueur and the time just whizzed by. I must have this- it is a fragrance that literally makes time fly and makes working out fun. I am never sharing this scent with my husband- it is too good.

on 5/24/2006 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Back in the eighties, there was a men's cologne you could buy in the drug store, put out by Jordache. It came in an indigo bottle. This smells just like it. Strong wood scent, some balsamic notes, and an undertone of animalic sexuality that -- on a man -- would be quite sexy. It is not as raunchy as some other fragrances (Rose Poivree comes to mind). It smells like James Bond after a fight with the bad guys -- men's cologne, tobacco, black tie, and a bit of sweat. But it has all been done before, and this tempers my enthusiasm.

A warm, smokey, beautiful coffee fragrance with a touch of woods, incense, and leather. This was the definite winner of all the newly available scents at the L'artisan boutique in SoHo, New York City. As far as coffee fragrances go, I think I like this even more than Bond New Haarlem, which has a strange masculine musky accord that sometimes bothers me. Although the L'artisan website proclaims L'eau de Navigateur to be "une affaire d'homme," I don't find it too masculine for a woman to wear. In fact, I found it to be lovely and deep on my skin. I've never backed away from something because I was told it wasn't for girls anyway. *grin* This would be stunning for fall/winter, and I plan on purchasing a bottle around then. (Unfortunately only the 100 mL size bottles are available.) Notes according to the L'artisan website: cedar, coffee liqueur, myrrh, leather.

L'eau du Navigateur is woody and smoky, darkly resinous. I also detect carnation, and some vanilla. It is defintely unisex. To boost its femininity, and make it wearable in all seasons, it is easily layered with all florals, especially rose, which turns it into a beautiful smoky feminine scent. I think for a man it would be wonderful if layered with lavender, though, it is perfectly lovely by itself.

Popular Fragrances