MAC Ebony Eye Pencil

No Image

2.6

HORRIBLE! I have a MAC addiction and have more items that I care to talk about but this was the biggest waste of money I have spent. It is dry, impossible to apply, and not worth your time.

on 3/21/2012 12:08:00 AM

This was the first black eyeliner I ever purchased and it sucks!!!

The girl at the MAC counter did my make-up for me and I guess because I told her I was a make-up newbie she gave me the "beginner" pencil. The conservative black, as someone else very aptly described it.

It's not black, it's grey. The formula is really dry. I would've thought that if you were giving a newbie a pencil to dry you'd provide them with a pretty slick formula and something with a lot of pigment (like Smoulder) so that they had something easy to work with. It's products like this that scared me off doing eyeliner for such a long time - but so glad I've gotten over it now though.

If you're a make-up newbie and you're looking for a black pencil that will stay on your waterline and also work pretty easily on the upper waterline I would stay away from MAC completely - UNLESS it's one of those time when they have Feline available. Otherwise go for BeneFit Bad Gal Waterproof Eyeliner (don't get the non-waterproof one - awful), Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Liner in Onyx or By Terry Crayon Kohl Terrybly Colour Eye Pencil in Black Print. My personal belief is that a good black eyeliner pencil is one of the staple products you should spend a bit more money on. It will improve your look - good pencils really don't wear off - and it will save your eyes because a good, soft waterproof pencil can line the upper lash line neatly without the need for you to stretch your eye.

on 6/26/2011 4:32:00 PM

I needed an eye pencil and headed to MAC because it was my favourite brand at the time. Back then, I didn't know the difference between the 3 kinds of eye pencils they had (Powerpoint, Kohl, Pencil), so I just bought the first one I found - Ebony Eye Pencil. It was a really bad choice. I don't have any black pencil in the other MAC formulations (powerpoint or kohl) but I'm sure they are way better than this one (I have Powerpoints and Kohls in other colors).

It's not a terrible product - I have definetely used much worse - but the quality is lower than most drugstore brands I've tried (except for Avon Color Trend eye pencil, the worst in the world). It's a medium/soft pencil, with a fairly intense color (not VERY intense though), but it smears like crazy. I don't have oily eyelids, but this stuff transfer to my crease in minutes. If I use it to line my lowder lid, it will make me look like a racoon in less than half an hour. I've tried everything to keep it from transfering to my crease (applying eyeshadow primer, face powder, powder eyeshadow, anything to make my lids drier) but nothing helped.
If you want an eye pencil for your waterline, this is a waste of money too - the color doesn't show up there enough to be noticed, and the little color that shows up will disappear in minutes.
As for the packaging, another problem: after about a month, the paint started to peel, showing the wood that is underneath it... so not pretty.

I won't give it a lower rating because at least it delivers some color and is not dry (my biggest pet peeve in eye pencils). But you can definetely find something else at the drugstore for a lot less $.
I'm trying really hard to finish it because I don't like to waste products, but I'm dying to use it up soon.

on 2/13/2011 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I am a GGG and I really like this pencil! I have decided I like it because I own all the Mac Kohls and while they are beautiful, they are very soft and I guess my eyes are moist and within a couple hours the Kohls smudge and drip on me. The Ebony pencil does not. It is a nice shade of black. I sharpen it very fine to create a precise line and it stays on for abou 5 hours.

on 12/6/2010 8:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

This was a good easy to use black liner. I probably won't buy it again because I'm into the whole safer option thing now. Even if I was still going with mainstream commercial products, I would opt for ELF's Brightening liner & save a ton plus get better results. This was just okay for me.

on 5/4/2009 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

did not like it at all.
i prefer to use my rimmel khol eyeliner to this one, thats how much i dont like it.
thank god i didn tbuy it, it was a present. mac khol smudges very badly, and not only htis, the black was very black. blacker than my eyelases, it just didnt look right with my skintone.
i also didnt like how it wasnt very smooth, it kinda took a few strokes to make the pencil draw into my eye, and even then it would be hard to get an even application because there would be times when it would draw properly, and then a second later it wouldnt.
i didnt like this particular khol.
i do like other colours in the MAC khol range though.

I'm not too happy with this eyeliner. I like MACs Kohl liners way more then this one. I have to run it on my eyeline more then once and it just easier to grab one of kohl liners.

on 12/31/2008 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I recieved this in a sample size in the Adoring Carmine kit. The one that came with Belightful powder and Bare Slimshine and the small Zoom lash. I was surprised because it was not listed as one of the items to recieve. I was skeptical to use it because I felt as a MUAer, that I had graduated from pencil liners, now that I use fancy gel liners and eye liner pens. But, I was pleasantly surprised by this product. I worked well, gave a smooth line, smudges easily, if you want to and does not run or move. I tried Smolder, but it never stays in place. It would always move and look messy by the time i got where I was going and I would have to adjust it or take it off completely, especially on the waterline. But this pencil did not do that, it stayed put and acutally stayed on my waterline!! It was called Black Funk, but I could only find Black Funk in the holiday sets. So I call MAC Pro and they told me Black Funk is the same as the Ebony pencil, just under a different name. When my sample size is gone, I will definitely purchase Ebony in the full size.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Surprisingly this sticks to my inner rims fairly well (how much can I really ask a color to stay on a self cleaning part of my body...ya know?) and doesnt affect / get all over my contact lenses. Didnt notice any huge difference between this and Engraved Powerpoint....

on 3/27/2008 11:38:00 PM

I love this eyeliner. It's easy to smudge for a smokey eye and it stays on quite well.