Map of the Heart Pink Heart v.6 Eau de Parfum

on 2/22/2019 12:53:00 AM

The Notes

Top: Shiso Leaf Accord, Neroli Oil and Base Oil
Heart: Narcissus Absolute, Jasmine Absolute, Broom Absolute and Orris Butter
Base: Sumac Accord, Pipe Tobacco Accord, Cistus Absolute and Australian Sandalwood

Pink Heart opens with one of the most distinctive opening accords I’ve sniffed in some time......straight up pipe tobacco. I kept smelling something sweet and didn't know what the note was until I read the notes and saw pipe tobacco listed and BAM I instantly could detect it. It’s initially very tart, with a sharp, blackcurrant-like fruitiness (or it could be cherry) that has a syrupy richness to it. Contrasting this purple tone is a thorny, green quality that gives a juicy impression of verdant leaves, similar in style to the intense, jungle-esque greenery of Olfactive Studio’s Panorama. Oh and I should mention the dark current of black liquorice that brings a lovely anise-like sweetness, because that’s in there too. Then to top all of that off, Pink Heart brings a fizzy, powdery texture into play, adding effervescence and softness. It all certainly makes a statement and it’s safe to say that Pink Heart draws one in with its intriguing, off-centre opening, leading one to want to explore further.

Sometimes a mind blowing fragrance such as this comes along and challenges one’s nose by simply not smelling like anything else. Pink Heart is one such fragrance and while I get hints of other, familiar things, the composition in its entirety feels very new, with lots of fascinating contrast and texture. It’s a perfume of layers, built on tiers of bold colours – stripes of olfactory nuance that come together to create something wonderful and beguiling. I think you should absolutely sniff it and I’m very happy to concede that I was completely wrong about Map of the Heart, and if Pink Heart is anything to go by, they are a fascinating brand with heaps of substance. It's listed as unisex but smells totally masculine to me because of the tobacco note but I'm sure a woman could pull it off too. I'm all for a person wearing whatever scent they like no matter what gender it is marketed to. This perfume reminds me a lot of that old Donna Karen scent Black Cashmere.