Essie Bordeaux

4.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

A lovely, wine-red jelly with magenta-purple undertones, opaque with two coats. I was surprised to like this so much, especially considering jellies don't typically give me high expectations, but it really is a very trusty, beautifully vampy dark red. It isn't so dark that it looks black from afar, but it definitely shifts in darkness depending on the lighting.

The formula is thin, easy to work with and very decently pigmented, but you won't get by with one coat alone. It's glossy, dries quickly, and resistant to chips with a top coat. If you're looking for a gorgeous red nestled just between 'classic' and 'bold', this may be your color.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Beautiful color. After two coats, it appears blood-red in bright light. It dries fast, which is nice, but that also makes apply a bit unevenly. Definitely worth it, though, because though the color is very dark, it actually fully dries!!! I've had so many bad experiences with dark nailpolish that required so many coats to actually achieve the dark color that they ended up never fully drying, so I'm pretty stoked that I was able to get such a dark, rich color with such little effort. It's also super shiny even without a top coat (couldn't find one by Essie at the store I was at).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A beautiful deep wine polish that was super easy to apply. Fully opaque in 2 coats. Topped with Essie's Good to Go top coat it stayed chip free for over a week.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had to do three coats to get a good even coverage but like mast of these kind of colours it was a tiny bit patchy... tiny though and that's just me being picky.
I don't like the brush I felt like it was too small so doesn't give you the nice even line at the base of my nail and also it would bend to one side whilst I was painting.
Really nice colour though. I'm a plum shades fantatic and this is a nice lush deep plum. I just wish it was easier to apply

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is a dark red "jelly" color, meaning it is not totally opaque. I really needed 3 coats to get the bottle color and to even out the streaks.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I love Essie polishes and I grabbed this shade as it was on sale and I love the colour.
It's that beautiful vampy blood red that makes nails look glam.
I figured there wouldn't be a problem with applying the polish as it's a dark shade (Essie's pastel shades tend to be very streaky) but I was wrong.
The formula is runny and if you're not careful, it can easily 'run' to the sides of the nail.
This one requires patience and a steady hand.
I give it four lipsticks because I love the colour so much and I love Essie polishes, but I think there are other better formulas in a similar shade.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is an absolutely beautiful vampy color with incredible color payoff. After two coats you're left with opaque and shiny nails. The bad? It does apply goopy so you need to be very careful and patient when painting your nails. Also, when it gets to the middle of the bottle, due to its gel quality, it makes it nearly impossible to get any product out of the bottle and when you do it's super goopy. For that reason alone, I would not repurchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I'm going to clarify some things about this nail polish for those of you confused about what it actually looks like. A lot of people are posting pictures that look entirely different in color, and that may be confusing!
Depending on how many coats you use, you will get different results. With one coat, the color is much more of a blue-toned red. The more and more coats you put on, the darker the nail becomes, ultimately turning into a dark, vampy ox-blood nail.
You can get more than 1 color out of this bottle, and that in itself is great for whatever occasion you want to get ready for! :)

The color is great. I love how vampy it becomes and it is definitely a high-gloss polish. Although, I took off one lippie because it achieves this high-gloss shine by being gel-based, sometimes making it difficult to put on an even coat without streaking. Regardless, as long as you put on more than one coat, your nails will look flawless.

Great product! Favorite Essie nail polish yet!

I always go back to this colour. I have very pale skin and this colour works great with that. Two coats suffice. It's my go-to winter shade. Been through a number of bottles already and will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I don't like this color as much as I do 'Skirting The Issue' which is (to me) the same but darker than Bordeaux. I'm not in love w/this color, but maybe it'll grow on me. Swatters' review below got it just right in terms of color & consistency. While 'Skirting The Issue' isn't the easiest to apply (both colors being jelly), 'Bordeaux' gave me greater anxiety trying to get the color even. It balds very easily, but @ least the formula didn't seep into the cuticles - that's what I love about Essie formula: it's smooth & rich textured.

EDIT 10/9/14 -
Three coats of this is more to my liking than 2 coats - comes out much deeper & vampier but not black looking.

Popular Polishes