NARS Cosmetics Velvet matte skin tint

Filtered by eye Color : Green
NARS Cosmetics Velvet matte skin tint
Velvet matte skin tint

Methyl Trimethicone, Alcohol, Water, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Lauryl Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Isododecane, Dimethicone/Peg-10/15 Crosspolymer, Calcium Carbonate, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Triethoxycarprylylsilane, Aluminium Hydroxide, Trimethylsiloxysilylcarbamoyl Pullulan, Hydroxyapatite, Tochopheryl Acetate, Rosa Multiflora Fruit Extract, Ascorbryl Tetraisopalmitate, Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, [ /- Titanium Dioxide (Cl77891), Iron Oxide (CL77491), Iron Oxide (Cl77492), Iron Oxides (Cl77499)]

on 7/29/2016 8:11:00 AM

Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint is surrounded by the most conflicting information I have ever encountered. Some say it's a super sheer BB-cream while others insist it's a heavy, full coverage foundation. Half of the users praise its blendability while the rest states its not blendable at all. Even the sunscreen in it gets mixed reviews (too low according to Paula's Choice, although it does boast a quite high UVA rating). I can only stand for my opinion on it, which is the following:
- No, it's not a tinted moisturizer. As such, you would be (theoretically) able to use it generously on its own without prep, with your hands, but without being overly precise. The finish would be sheer. Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint is far to thick and saturated to use like this, and the end result would be something heavily opaque and mask like.
- I employ a Real Technique brush for application; still it takes effort not to get swirls and streaks in the finished result. Quite a lot of effort I would say, even with the help of fingers.
- It does have a velvety finish IF and WHERE you manage to get it even. I use the shade Finland, which is a wonderful, creamy ivory. Impressively, it stays that way - no oxidation in sight!
- Staying power is great indeed and goes beyond almost everything I've tried. The formula grabs on and basically doesn't let go (when tested without primer on a hot July day in Capri). I do think this Nars launch is suitable for oilier skin types, however, there is a propensity for the dreaded "polka dot pores". The product also sets into pasty "C"s around the nose if you're not particularily careful.
- Alcohol. Second ingredient but first hand conflict in the skin care community. The jury is still out on whether denatured etanol is harmful for the dermis. It never causes irritation on me, but if this is a concern for you, Nars Matte Tint may have to be avoided.
- Chemical sunscreen. If used mainly as UV protector, you would have to use so much of the product it wouldn't look acceptable.
- Smart and neat looking packaging, superior to heavy glass bottles and messy pumps.
I found it difficult to unequivocally bash this foundation. It clearly has plenty of strengths, but these are followed by some down sides that are hard to neglect. Maybe in the end it comes down to expectation; someone looking for a light, ultra skin like moisturizer with a tint would be disappointed, while a light handed and meticulous MUA-member that hearts the matte and don't mind the foundation to show a bit would treasure this creation.

This is a good product for those with oily skin but without any blemishes or spots as it just doesn't provide enough coverage, even with multiple layers.
And the worst part is how quickly it oxidises. I purchased the lightest shade, Terre-Neuve light 0, and within 5 minutes it turns orange.
I wouldn't purchase it again, especially for the price ($65 in AUD)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I typically use NARS radiant tinted moisturizer as an HG product rather than foundation, but recently I've been having some skin issues. I purchased this because I heard it was a very similar product but with more coverage. That is very true. The color range is identical, so your tinted moisturizer color will be the same in this product. It goes on very nicely and it has light to medium coverage that's definitely build-able. It is exactly what I needed when my skin acted up and the tinted moisturizer wasn't doing it for me. It gives a very airbrushed but natural look, and in my experience it wears very well. I've seen some reviews saying it cakes or creases but it did not do this for me. I also have some dry patches that foundation always clings to, and I did not have this problem with this product. I would say it is a step up in coverage from a BB cream but without the often cakey foundation quality.

on 2/29/2016 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I bought this at Sephora in the shade Seychelles.

I find this shade to be a tad bit too orange but I can work with it when using this with my full face makeup routine.

Even though this is labeled as a matte "tint" this can be officially called a foundation. I use MUFE F&B and this has way more coverage than that. One layer covers a lot. Of course if you want something full coverage then this is not for you.

This foundation has a satin finish. Not too dry, not too luminous. The formula isn't so matte that it's hard to blend. I had this issue with L'Oreal Infallible, MUFE Mat Velvet, and KVD. It's a creamy texture. It also doesn't go on too patchy.

I apply this using a flat top kabuki brush from elf (called the powder brush) but I may go over it with a beauty blender just to smooth it out a little bit more.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was looking for a product to even out my skin for every day wear without having to apply foundation. This tint has a lot of coverage and melts into my skin when I dab it in with my fingers (which I rarely do as I am usually a beauty blender user). The two colors I have tried (Alaska and Finland) have yellow undertones and match my skin perfectly.
I also found you don't really need a primer, it looks and wears pretty much the same with or without.
As for the oil control, I'm very oily - oil usually peaks through in about an hour into my morning. I believe while using this product I probably produce the same amount of oil but somehow it doesn't collect as a shiny film or sits on the surface of the makeup but instead just mixes in nicely with the texture of the tint and I don't appear as shiny as I usually do. Which is all I can really ask of a skin product.
Overall, very happy and purchased a full size.

I have combination skin- dry nose and cheeks but oily forehead and chin and always find it difficult to find a foundation to accommodate this! I picked up a sample from Space NK and was matched to Greonland (I am matched to mac NC20).

I apply my usual moisturiser and primer then this tint with a stippling brush and was instantly impressed by the results, evened out skin tone, matte flawless skin, its a light coverage that can be built up and I used less than a pea sized amount. My mistake at first was setting the entire face as this was too drying so now I just set my undereye area/anywhere I have concealed and it looks lovely.

I find this controls my oil quite well and stays matte all day and doesn't accentuate my dry areas, by the end of the day I still have my makeup on and will just touch up my forehead with powder if I need too, but otherwise really impressed with this!!

The only downfall is that it has SPF 30, the smell is really unnoticable in my opinion but the SPF is great for the day and protecting your skin however I haven't tried it when I have flash photography so not sure how I will look in pictures but when I do I will update you!

Video Reviews & Tutorials