Hairprint

Hairprint
HairprintHairprintHairprint

3.1

The ingredients are water, baking soda, mucuna pruriens, sodium carbonate, carbomer (a thickener), hydrogen peroxide, diatomaceous earth, manganese gluconate, and ferrous gluconate.

on 1/11/2019 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Hairprint’s products are terrible. After using the hair dye twice and shampoo + conditioner for more than 2 months, I am completely dissatisfied with the products. 1) The prep hair washing completely dries the hair out thus making the hair strands nearly impossible to separate for proper application. 2) The mixture is extremely difficult to apply thoroughly in the allotted time of 6 minutes. 3) The whole process takes tremendous amount of time and makes a horrible mess. 4) Even if you carefully follow the instructions, including using baking soda to make the hair more porous, the results are rather poor. The roots and the bottom layers of the hair turn brown but the top layer gets dyed to a pitch black. Since using Hairprint’s products, my hair has become unmanageable and impossible to style. I would definitely not recommend Hairprint. The products do not work as they claim.

on 1/2/2019 11:16:00 AM

I do not care for this product. Try as I might, I cannot get it out of my hair. I have tried piecing out sections of hair and turning the water on full blast with no luck. In turn, my hair needs to be washed sooner (I am a 1-2x a week person). The product is also really thin and does not lather, so I will run through this product pretty quickly. I am going back to my $8 Hugo Naturals.

on 12/28/2018 12:20:00 PM

I am 66 years old and have been coloring my gray for since I was 43. While I have a lot of gray, I have not gone completely gray and would have a bit of a skunky look if I did not color my hair. My gray is also course and my hairdresser says that coloring it conditions my hair to be more manageable.

I gave Hairprint three tries and am done with it. The time it takes to apply is definitely a deterrent and I have one stubborn spot on the crown of my head that does not completely cover and fades rapidly. I had my hairdresser apply this as I didn't think I could do an adequate job on my own. Prior to trying Hairprint he was using an organic color product but was willing to try Hairprint for me. After comparing the ingredients I feel comfortable that the product we were using prior is just as pure as Hairprint and it is far easier to apply and covers better.

Happy to try it but could not recommend it based on my experience.

on 10/28/2018 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

HORRIBLE PRODUCT - destroyed my healthy brown hair and turned it into straw. Dyed my hair pitch black even though I ordered brown. Dont walk, RUN from this product. SO ANGRY!!!!!!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Diagnosed with cancer at a young age, I try to stay away from toxic crap. I also have allergies to all kinds of scents both natural and chemical. I assumed I would never be able to dye my hair. I am beyond grateful for Hairprint. I was 50% grey and had never dyed my hair before - now I have no grey and beautiful natural highlights that I haven't had since my 20s. I'm 45 years old and people are mistaking me for being in my 30s, which I don't mind at all.

I reread directions, scoured reviews, communicated with customer support many times, and used a lot of trial and error in application methods. Hairprint was not easy to use at first and faded fast. But I've been using it for six months now, have gotten the hang of it, it lasts for 6-8 weeks, and my hair looks so good. Even my Dad commented how great my hair looks. I don't think he has ever commented on my looks in my life.

At first I thought this product is only for those seriously committed to natural, toxic-free ingredients - why else would you go through all the hassle? But it is the most natural looking dye I have ever seen. If you don't want to look like you dye your hair and you have a high tolerance for trial and error, use Hairprint.

Here are some tips I learned along the way:

CLEANING

In the beginning I lined my bathroom with plastic drop cloths and needed them as this stuff got everywhere. I also bought a box of disposable gloves - no way would one pair provided work. Do this too when you start out. Now that I have the hang of it, I put a towel across the sink, one on the floor, and I take down my shower curtain. No more need for plastic cloths, I know better how to control the application. I still get a few dabs on the wall or tub but it wipes off easily. I also only use the one pair of gloves provided and rinse them between stages.

During the prepare stage, I use the 5 minutes to set up all the products in a line, have a good pair of scissors for cutting open the packets, and have a trash can right next to the sink. I cover the surfaces with towels, get my timer set up. It is a bit like prepping for surgery but it keeps things cleaner in the long run.

I have an entire old set of towels and wash cloths dedicated to Hairprint and don't worry about how gross they get. I throw them all in the wash when I'm done.

During the 15 minute resting time, I don't drink a nice cup of tea like the Hairprint videos show. (No way am I risking going into other rooms and getting this stuff on furniture.) Instead I use the time in between to clean up and prep for the next round - I clean any skin where Hairprint got on to, I wash bowls, wipe any dots of dye from the tub, and keep things tidy and lined up for the next step.

APPLICATION

This took forever the first few times and I was rushing against the six minute clock. I have since watched youtube videos on how to dye your hair. Although they are not Hairprint videos, it helped me learn how to more quickly and effectively apply product and divide my hair.

I don't use provided brush for application. I just use the pointed end to divide the hair into each segment as I go along. I bought a rubber spatula / spoon just for this purpose. Scooping and slathering with a spatula saves time and is less messy than the provided brush. It also makes mixing easier.

I had long hair. I get a haircut before dying. It is just easier to do when there is less of it. My hair is a few inches shorter because it is easier to apply Hairprint on shorter hair and the cut looks great too. (It is still shoulder length in the front and a bit longer in the back.)

I mostly just do my roots now as the length says covered and it is only the new growth that I need help with.

I use Hairprint on my eyebrowns and apply with a Q-tip.

COLOR LONGEVITY

The first many times the color washed away very fast. I've become religious about the following and not sure if it is any one or a combination of these that have made my color last 6-8 weeks now:

I went from being a daily hair washer to washing 1 - 2 times a week now. I have thick oily hair and never, ever thought I could get away without washing it daily. But I was wrong. It was a training process. Yes, I looked slightly gross sometimes for the few weeks it took me to wean myself from daily washing, but it was totally worth it. My hair looks great for days without washing now and color stays.

I only use Hairprint shampoo. I tried many other shampoos that are void of Hairprint "don't use" ingredients. None of them helped. Hairprint shampoo does not make my hair volume or shine look as amazing but it is a trade off I'm glad to make to go from 50% grey to no grey. It is extremely expensive, but now that I only wash my hair 1 - 2 x a week, it lasts quite a while.

I don't use heat on my roots ever. I never use a curling iron anyway, but I have stopped using high heat on my hair dryer except for underneath or on the ends. I only use cool on the roots. And in the summer, I get away with out drying much at all.

My hairdresser recommended I put a cap on my head during the 15 minute sitting time to create more heat, which should open my pours and help the color penetrate.

I wash my scalp very vigorously with the prepare stage shampoo. I think it also helps open the pours more to accept the color.

Lastly, a note that as an extremely chemically sensitive person, I have no problem with Hairprint. I smell zero odor. It just smells like nothing to me.

LONG LIVE HAIRPRINT!

on 8/13/2018 4:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Warning! Hairprint damaged my hair and almost all of my once healthy silky waist length hair broke off the day after I used their supposedly safe non toxic product. Hairprint removed all of the essential oils in my hair and the little bit of hair that is left on my head feels and looks like straw. It has been one of the most devastating experiences of my life. I am embarrassed to be seen in public. Since it happened, I never go out of the house without a hat. I have even had to wear hats in business meetings. People whom I know are shocked when they see me. It will take many years for my hair to grow back to the length that it was before using this horrible product. I sincerely hope that no one else ever has to endure this very trying experience.

The first time I used this product my husband told me it was the best color he had ever seen me use. He said it looked really natural.

One day we were discussing hair dying at work and I mentioned something about this product when my male boss exclaimed that he never realized that I dyed my hair. My co-worker explained that it was the point dying one's hair to not have it noticed. He said he knew this, but his mother and two sisters dye their hair and it was completely obvious that they did so.

So I count these as two wins!

The color doesn't completely cover my grey hairs (I'm about 50% grey), but this is exactly what makes it look so natural. The dyed grey hairs sparkle and change color in the light making it look like they grew in with the soft brown color.

It is true that the product takes time and is a mess to use. My husband teases me about the look of the bathroom when I'm done, but he likes the results so much that he just laughs. Over the years I've learned strategies to control it a bit better.

I have long hair, so I do get a bit of a reverse ombre effect after a few years of use. I did recently change shampoos and it seems to have lessened the effect. I don't think anybody notices the ombre but me. If you cut your hair regularly, those more absorbent ends would just be cut off.

A non-toxic product like this out weighs any application inconvenience every day of the week. Love it!

on 5/29/2018 3:03:00 PM

This product is for people who are willing to put the time and effort into a true eco product. Kinda like growing your own salad- so worth it if you get the point.
I bought this product for my mum who had been after so many surgeries and chemical toxic overload in hospitals we needed to start from scratch. About 80% of her hair had turned white.There was no choice of using anything w even a hint of chemical. Option was Myhairprint or go white.
Now, 4 years later most of her hair is light brown again with natural shimmers, it has regrown to full strength and density and I personally believe not using any toxic shampoos, chemicals on her scalp has benefited her overall recovery and beauty of her skin.
It looks natural and the thick coarse hairs which I learned are mineral depleted, have softened and feel like baby hair.
Is it messy? Yes. So are all hairdyes. The big difference is you don't use your optic nerve using these. You don't destroy the water and soil it's going back to and your hair looks more natural than some salon "paint"- job. Is it worth it? YES!
There simply is nothing else out there that comes even close to it. We use morroccomethod shampoos in between her dyes and now she only uses 1/3 rd of the package per dye. So one package lasts 3 colorings every 3-4 weeks.
I think that's pretty good. As a bonus you get truely 100% edible and organic.
I used it even on my dark blonde roots and it restored the hair. But beware and really cover your hair well with shea butter where you don't want it to go.

on 3/25/2018 12:15:00 PM

I've been using this product for a couple years quite happily, and I'm actually shocked at how many negative reviews are on this site, so I had to chime in.

First, I should say that, even though I love having brown (as opposed to grey) hair, I am not willing to use the traditional chemical treatment. I have tried henna/indigo mixtures and even though I am a patient and accurate person, the overall effect was unacceptable in terms of color. So I have left my hair grey (the whole front of my head around my face) up until finding Hairprint.

The first time I used this product, I found it to be pretty messy, and impossible to apply in the way the video instructions suggested. However, with adequate protection of my bathroom sink and floor with 5 old towels, and a messier application style (than shown on their videos), I have worked out my own method which works well every time.

I absolutely love the results. The color is so natural, and nice and chocolatey like in my youth. I also like that the grey hairs get covered in a natural, slightly un-uniform fashion. That is, some of the hairs still glitter a tiny bit even though the overall effect is brown. I could probably do a second application, but I personally hate the perfectly uniform results of chemical hair dye.

My hair feels a little different; smoother and silkier. It's subtle, and it took me a couple rounds to be sure.

I also love how it grows in. The effect here is natural too. There is not such a hard line between my colored hair and my grey roots like with chemicals. Of course, I may have more tolerance for grey roots than others.

These days, I use half a package every month or so to touch up the roots. This makes the price fairly reasonable for me. It also makes the mess reasonable.

Honestly, it's only one more application procedure than the chemical dyes, and the foamy nature of the product, while messy, probably makes it easier to apply and reach all of the grey in the comfort of my own home. So my attitude is: "this is what it takes" to have brown hair under the conditions that I require.

So bottom line, if you are like me, and neither chemicals nor henna are an option, but you really want to have brown hair, then this can probably work for you. Follow the instructions as best you can, and understand that there's a learning curve. Tweek your process along the way (keep notes so you remember from month to month how to do it faster, and less messy). This is how this system can become sustainable.

One last thing I want to say is that the first time I used this product, a shocking amount of hair fell out. I did not attribute it to the product because I do have a thyroid condition and I thought that all the extra cleansing and rubbing probably just aggravated what was already in place to fall out. Interestingly enough, the amount of hair loss during each repeat has not been anywhere near as severe, and seems to drop in quantity every time.

Oh yes, one more thing...the activated product permanently stains towels and clothing, so I recommend wearing some old black clothes during the procedure. I am careful to remove splatters from any surfaces quickly with a wet cloth (and hydrogen peroxide if needed). I have NOT found, however, that it permanently stains my face, ears, neck when I am messy with my application. I do wear the gloves, but I am not meticulous about wiping from my forehead, ears, etc. I DO notice that for the first couple days the color seems darker. I **think** this may be due to some of the product clinging to the scalp, making the hair appear overall darker.

I hope that this review helps others who are considering the product.

I have been using this product for two years, and I’m still not satisfied. My roots are never covered, and I look like I have a reverse hombre. Technical support is not helpful. They just defend the product. When I complained that my roots were light, and the rest of my hair was black, they told me my hair was dry and more product gets absorbed at the bottom. PS: I only do my roots and the products does not come into contact with my hair at all until it is rinsed out. They claim you need to buy all of their products for the color to work because virtually every other shampoo and conditioner on the market contains polyquats, which they claim blocks the product from penetrating the hair. The products they sell you are north of $25 per, and they are terrible. It’s a conditioner is like nothing. The shampoo is very drying. I stopped using their products, and got the best results using Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo two times before coloring my hair. I don’t know how they can claim it restores your hair to the natural color, when you can see it washing down the drain when you shower. My natural color is not pitch black, either. They tell you to cover your ends with a thick coating of Shea butter or coconut oil, and then use the product and make sure that you don’t get any of the Shea butter anywhere else on your hair. How much time and effort do they expect people to take? I mentioned to customer service that there are a lot of similar complaints online. She just said that’s because they don’t call customer service to sort out their issues. They only post positive reviews on their website. Someone should start a class action lawsuit about this product restoring your hair to its natural color. That is a baseless claim. The little bit of coverage I do get does not last more than a couple of weeks, and I don’t even wash my hair more than once a week. After two years, I am certain that all of my previously dyed hair has grown out, and this is all their product.