Diptyque Hiver - 2014 Holiday

No Image

2.0

The "Resine" candle is the one that smells like balsam. (Balsam is the sap from certain shrubs and trees like pine.) "Hiver" means winter, and all descriptions I have come across describe this as smelling like cold north winds, snow, roasting chestnuts... It is not as powdery as their Opoponax candle, and the chestnut note is faint when it burns. Still, if you're a fan of Feu de Bois and not particularly Christmasy, this would pair with it nicely.

My favorite from the collection is the Epice candle, which smells like Feminite de Bois to me, especially with their online exclusive Benjoin candle (heaven!) and a mini Choisya. Resine is nice, but I prefer the usual Cypres candle.

on 11/12/2014 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Proceed with caution, my friends! This is described as having a balsam scent. I adore balsam candles & go through Bendel's Silver Spruce candles like crazy - they are pure balsam. I was going to buy Hiver, sight-unseen, due to the description, but thank god I went into Space NK to check it out. This is a cloyingly-sweet, headache-inducing candle, IMHO. I couldn't detect any balsam, just a super-sweet (gardenia?) scent that I didn't care for. If you want a perfect balsam candle, order Silver Spruce from Bendel's. (NO association with Bendel's, yada, yada, yada.) This particular effort by Diptyque doesn't work for me, but if you favor really sweet-smelling candles, this one could work very well for you.

However, I DID love another Diptyque Holiday candle, so do see my review of Resine :)

Popular Candles