MAC Prep + Prime Natural Radiance

3.1

on 2/27/2016 10:40:00 PM

I bought this product when I was just starting to get into makeup and thought that the most expensive products were the best. After using this product on and off for over a year, and in that time trying different primers- I can say I am 99% disappointed in this product. When I use this product, I find that my foundation doesn't stick to my face at all and has usually come off within an hour. I would NOT buy it again and find it is a total waste of money.

After finally breaking up with MAC's P+P SPF 50 primer -- the original formulation was HG for me, but the new one is yucko -- I fell in love with the pink Radiance.

Fills pores, prevents settling into lines, feels light and blends very well.

Pros: Light, smooth, foundation goes on beautifully overtop. Gives a dewy, natural effect (which I love).

Cons: Provides little mattification (I must blot about two hours after applying my makeup); no SPF, which is a bummer for me as I try to wear SPF 24/7 and I'll have to add another product into the mix in the summer which is always dicey.

Summary: Will repurchase as my go-to primer. Wish they would add an SPF to make it gloriously perfect!

To Read all 14 Reviews, Login or Join

Although I was not completely disappointed by this product, I expected more. After using it, i did find that my skin was a better canvas for make up application, but it did not deliver in terms of its purpose as a primer. The redness in under my nose was still there and nothing was "blurred".

I liked the slight glow it gave my skin, but i feel that it was a bit pricey for a 50ml product. My make up definitely did not last as long as i thought it would, whilst using this product.

on 9/19/2015 9:29:00 PM

Love this product - it's not greasy and doesn't feel slick. I use this as a moisturizer/primer because it's so hydrating. I have a sensitive combo skin and it's a great base for foundation.

I use the Yellow shade and I love it!

on 6/7/2015 12:51:00 PM

I purchased this in Radiant Pink and I apply this literally right before I apply my foundation (the primer is still "wet" when I apply foundation) and I find that I can see the difference in my make up when I wear this as opposed to when I don't. I wear Estée Lauder Double Wear and it comes off way too matte on my skin when worn alone with Benefit Porefessional or Urban Decay Pore Perfecting primer so I purchased this to add a little radiance to my skin, I don't apply this to the "V" highlighting area on my face as anything radiant seems to make my pores more visible so I apply this to my forehead, down the bridge of my nose, cheeks and chin. I've been using this for a few months now and it hasn't irritated my sensitive skin (YAY), some products burn my skin and I suffer a lot with breakouts and this primer hasn't had any negative effects on my skin. The texture of this is kinda in the middle, not runny but not overly thick either so it's easy to apply and I can't smell any fragrance when I apply this product.

Although I'd recommend this product I'm not 100% sure whether I'd personally repurchase this as all I find it does is make my foundation appear more radiant (as the name of the product suggests) which is great for some people but for me it doesn't pro long the wear of my foundation (although the foundation I wear is long wearing anyway so you might notice a difference if you don't wear the same foundation as me), it doesn't help disguise my pores and it doesn't dim down any redness I get around my nose and sometimes on my cheeks and chin. Once I use all this I think I'll look for another illuminating primer that isn't so expensive as I contour and highlight my face so I add luminosity to my skin after I've set my foundation anyway but for those who prefer a more natural look to their every day make up then I think you'll see a difference when you apply this as the foundation I wear is full coverage and I can still see the difference.

I'm actually not sure if I will repurchase this. It seems to work pretty well with the MAC Pro Longwear foundation that I'm using. I don't get very oily which is really great, and the dry patches I have do seem to be more hydrated. The downside of this product is that it doesn't seem to sink into my skin. I definitely don't use too much, just half a pump for my whole face. I make sure to blend it in evenly. Still it doesn't seem to sink in very well. It gives a nice glow (even though the shimmery particles are pretty big and noticable) . At least until I apply my foundation. Then, it just seems to dissappear. Too bad. When I use it with a foundation not designed for hours of wear, it makes me even oilier than usual and seems to make my foundation slide off. I love MAC but this is not a winner.

I think this is a wonderful product ! It lubricates well and after application you get a nice glow. You don't need much product to apply it over the whole face. The make up really lasts longer! But i also find the product expensive and I find it unfortunate that the glow of the primer is disappears after the application of foundation.

on 10/6/2014 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I loved the old formula of prep and prime SPF 50 so when that was reformulated I decided to try this version. Big mistake! It felt greasy going on and my face was sparkly! Not a subtle shimmer, very VERY sparkly glitter all over my entire face. My concealer, which normally goes on flawlessly and never creases, looked cakey and creased big time! But worst of all: a couple hours later I was at work and my face started burning! I looked in the mirror and my face is red and splotchy and I'm starting to get little bumps!! This stuff is absolutely horrible! Thanks to this product my face is sparkly, cakey, red and blotchy and burninggg!!!! :-( I can't wait to get home and wash it off!!!!!!

on 9/3/2014 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

This was like putting Crisco with pink glitter on my face. My foundation looked horrible over this. I looked like I hadn't showered in a week...so greasy and gross.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I used to really love this primer, but recently was wondering why my foundation oxidising so terribly (becoming darker throughout the day), so I thought I would try stop using this primer, as primers are usually the biggest culprit for darkening foundation, and un fortunately this was the product doing so. The primer does give a beautiful glow to the skin, but a lot of foundations I have tried react badly to it, Max Factor PanStik being the worst, it literally goes about 2 shades darker, the Bobby Brown Foundation Stick doesn't react to badly, going about half a shade darker, Mac Studio Fix Fluid, being a disgusting foundation to start with doesn't seem to go any darker or worse with this primer. Maybe stick with Mac Foundations when using this primer. I would recommend something like the Smashbox primer instead.