Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Shadow Sticks

3.7

on 10/25/2017 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have never been a cream eyeshadow person until I stumbled on these Sticks. I have every color that matches my fair cool toned skin and absolutely love them! I have hooded eyes and these wear for 12-14 hours without a primer (best without actually) they are easy to apply and blend with finger or brush if desired, and have decreased my morning eye makeup routine to a few simple steps.
I do not care for the shimmer Sticks such as Truffle and Golden Pink, only because of my hooded eyes and they take longer to set on my lid without risk of transfer than the matte shades. The colors are great and would be lovely on a younger person as brow highlight or mobile lid shades- not so much for aging hooded eyes.
Highly recommend these!!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am shocked to see the low ratings for this, but, as I sort of thought when I initially came to review this, I think this is one of those products that varies from shade to shade. I have this in the shade "Stone." I bought this after seeing an older youtuber gal around my age rave about "Stone." I applied this, at first using a light hand, and immediately fell in love. This for me glides right on, so smoothly, and with a light hand, I can get a very light wash of color for a 'no makeup makeup look day.' But then "Stone" can be built up for a darker shade. This actually makes my aging crepey eyelids appear smoother, and that is with no other product on to help this out. I am thrilled. I can't say I will purchase other shades, but "Stone" is amazing. Sort of a greyish-taupe. Just a lovely shade on the lids; looks kind of ugly in the stick form, but on the lids, it works some kind of magic. I would repurchase "Stone" in a heartbeat, and possibly one of the other shades. Great for easy-breezy days and I think this will also be nice for travel. When I am on vacation, I do not want to mess with a bunch of shadows, or worry about palettes breaking, etc. This performs like a champ and is reliable and easy. A great 'workhorse' of a product. Very pleased. I doubt I would order any of the glittery shades, but definitely "Stone" again, and possibly one of the other non-glittery shades. Wears decently; I get no creasing, lasts a good 8 or more hours and then fades lightly, but evenly. (I ordered "Stone" from Nordstrom, because for some reason, I did not see it on Sephora's website.)

on 7/15/2016 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Bought this in the shade Golden Pink after swatching it at Sephora, but ended up returning it within the week.
I will say that the payout was amazing and does not move. I got a cream eyeshadow stick mainly because it seemed like a no-fuss method to getting a glittery eye look. However, the formula was really really dry. Not comfortable for daily wear at all.
Went back to the store and got the Laura Mercier caviar eye stick, which is a lot less harsh feeling with very similar results and price.

on 10/6/2015 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've bought these in several colors over the past three years. I love the convenience of sticks like this - just toss in your purse and go. Apply with fingers when you're away from your brush collection. Laura Mercier and NARS make similar cream shadow sticks.

Long-wearing Claims:

I usually use a primer, but sometimes I don't. I get better results with one, but I have applied some of these sticks to bare lids and they've stayed in place all day anyway. However, I should mention that my lids are not oily. They can get dry. I have combination skin, so I'm oily in the T-zone but not anywhere else. Forehead, cheeks, eyelids can get dry or flaky if I don't use a moisturizer. So there might be more slip and slide on oily lids than on mine. Also, there are certain shades that wear better than other shades, which tells me that the formulation varies slightly or the presence/absence of shimmer alters the product enough to make a difference. If I use Goldstone as a transition color (in between a dark color and a highlight color, for example), it works great. But I had some flaking one day when I wore it alone from lash to above crease with no primer and it looked a bit crusty by the end of the day. It's a shimmer. But Golden Pink, also a shimmer, doesn't flake on me at all. Rich Caviar is a dark chocolate that is relatively creamy to apply and I use it sparingly because it is very deep and you have to blend these quickly before they set, because once they set, you are stuck with that placement. Obviously dark shades aren't as forgiving as highlight colors when you make a mistake. But when I get Rich Caviar on my lids in a nice design, it's my perfect smoky eye that doesn't budge. The easiest shades to work with are the light colors such as Vanilla, Pink Sparkle, or the limited edition Truffle color, a soft beige. The limited edition Greige color wears well and is easy to smudge. It's a shimmer. Applied lightly, it's a cool taupe grey and if you apply more, it deepens to a dark smoky grey on fair skin. It seems as though some of her limited edition colors are stellar and should be part of the regular line, while I think she could forgo some of her standard colors. I didn't care for Iced Blue. It was an impulse buy I later regretted. Golden Bronze is cooler in tone than Bronze, which I found confusing, as the name "golden" suggests it would have more yellow, when it has less.

I think Bone Cream Shadow which comes in the glass pot rather than a stick, is a great base for all of these, and can be used instead of primer. This particular color and formula is crease-free. (Some of the Metallic Cream Shadows wear off in a patchy manner. Quality has not been uniform among the different metallic shades.) I use a brush with the glass pots instead of my fingers, partly for hygiene, partly for ease of application.

So aside from the fact that you have to evaluate these sticks shade by shade for performance and color, I think it's an excellent product overall. NARS developed theirs after Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown sold lots of these retractable eye crayons. Mercier's are called Caviar Sticks. They are ideal for travel because although you can use these with brushes, you don't have to, and there's no sharpening.

$29 per stick is pricey. I recommend testing them at the counter first rather than ordering sight unseen. There have been a few shades that look very different on my skin. I thought I would hate Dusty Mauve, but it's a very pretty lavender pink nude shimmer that was a pleasant surprise, similar to Mercier's Amethyst, as someone else noted. By contrast I thought I'd love Soft Peach, but didn't. So you really need to see them on your skin before you buy or hold onto that receipt.

Unfortunately, Bobbi Brown is not a cruelty free brand. Her company is owned by Estee Lauder. So I've gone looking for alternatives to this product. NARS claims to be against animal testing. Kiko Cosmetics also makes cream shadow sticks. Kiko Milano's website states that they are Italian and adhere to European Union standards which prohibit testing on animals. Peta, Leaping Bunny, Beautypedia are resources you can use to differentiate between brands that are cruelty free or animal tested. Some consumers care deeply about this issue, others do not. Kiko Cosmetics Long Lasting Stick Eyeshadow is about half the price of Bobbi Brown's, in case you're on a tight budget.

on 9/5/2015 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My rating is a 3.5, because I find these sticks are hit or miss, depending on the shade, like many items in the line these days seem inconsistent, sadly.
Pros:
- Portability
- The good shades are really good and last well on the lids
Cons:
- Color range is limited: no lighter matte neutrals or cool shades available
- Creasing after only a few hours of wear
- Most shimmery colors don't apply evenly
- Caps break (tear) very easily, even if the stick is not carried around in the purse, then won't close tight anymore
I find some shades of good quality, namely Stone, Shadow, Truffle and Nude Beach, Golden Bronze, Caviar and Midnight, while others clearly lack, for instance Bronze and Sunlight Gold (neither applies evenly). What's clearly missing from the color range are neutral lighter shades. There is no base shade option for fair, neutral or cool toned skin. By that I mean shades like Cement, Navajo, Ivory or Bone that are offered in the glass pots and have excellent staying power and a wonderful range of shades. But the clunky glass jars, while pretty, are not practical, require a brush because you can't get to the lower half of the content and are cumbersome for travel. The only lighter matte non-shimmery shade offered in stick form is Vanilla, which is distinctly yellow. For the $29 these cost per piece I would like to see better staying power and a better color selection.

on 9/5/2015 4:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought one of these recently from the BB website without seeing the colour in the store - big mistake! The colour called Dusty Mauve (described as lavender online) turned out to be more of a pinky brown (and I already have a Laura Mercier shadow pencil in Amethyst which turned out to be more or less identical!). Quality is good and it does last well - just not the colour I expected. Grrr!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ugh! These are terrible and not long wearing at all. I purchased in Taupe and Caviar. Taupe is not taupe at all but a warm camel color (which I love). Caviar is blackish brown similar to the other Caviar colors in Bobbi Brown's line. The staying power is terrible. Taupe creased terribly and Caviar smudged all over (and not in the sultry, sexy bedroom eyes way). I have better luck with the long wear cream shadows and liners in a jar. They are also a better value in terms of quantity per gram (1.6 g for the sticks, 3.5 g for the jar.

These get a 2 only because the colors are good. If you eyelids are oily, stay clear of these bad boys.

on 7/3/2013 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

NC25 Chinese, oily and hooded eye lids so worst scenario case ever.

I tightline my upper water line every day, and Violet Plum does not smudge on me unlike all the other traditional eyeliners (Milani, UD, TT, Mally, Clinique, and it goes on...). I also like that it's 'fat', which makes it easier for the upper tightlining.

I have not tested to see if it creases as an overall cream eyeshadow or use it as a base for my eyeshadows. For now it's my go to for upper tightlining for a few months now, and for that alone, I'm glad to have found it.

on 6/2/2013 7:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have this is in the brown shade. With a little highlighting color on the brow bone, this is the easiest daytime subtle smokey eye imaginable. I draw it on my lids (upper and lower) and smudge around. Looks like it took 20 min and it takes 3 min. Have extremely oily lids and don't use primer. Lasts all day lookin nice.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Newly released for Spring 2013, Bobbi Brown launched these in 8 shades. I chose Forest, which is a beautiful, dark emerald green. I find the colour similar to Urban Decay Loaded, which I adore. But I was eager to try a quick and easy eyeshadow and these new cream shadow sticks seem to fit the bill. And it certainly does. Bobbi Brown claims it is long wearing (hence the name) but I still have to wear a primer underneath (currently Nars) or it creases like crazy on my oily eyelids. What I do is draw a think line over most of my lid, then use a synthetic brush to blend upwards (I use a Real Techniques small shader brush). I then draw another layer over the top, just along the lashline, very lightly blending this time to intensify the colour along the lashes. This gives me an instant smoky eye. So quick and easy and with the aid of the primer I am getting a good days wear from it. Not too difficult to remove either, so I am now researching other colours to buy. I have tried the Laura Mercier version, but have to say I find these a lot creamier and easier to blend. A good product from Bobbi Brown, and one I would highly recommend!

Update: Summer 2013. Its been a hot and sticky few weeks and unless I have industrial strength primer, these crease. So I guess I shall be saving this one for the fall/winter. Which isn't a bad thing as Forest is such a pretty fall/winter colour anyway!