AG Hair Cosmetics Curl liquid effects extra firm styling lotion

No Image

4.7

on 5/6/2017 6:59:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

AG Liquid Effects has been in my styling rotation for at least 6 or 7 years now. Honestly, it pretty much lives at "holy grail" curly girl status for me. That's not to say that I don't like trying other products (as all curly girls do), but this particular styling lotion is a definite go-to! I live in hot & humid South Florida and most products, even those marketed as providing humidity defense, do not get the job done. I've only come across four that actually work well here: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (old formula, which is tough to get your hands on); AG Liquid Effects and AG Plastique (which is a lot like Liquid Effects); LA Looks Sport Gel (works a bit better in Florida winter than summer). Both the Liquid Effects and Plastique are much easier to apply/spread throughout the hair than the Biosilk RHG is. Liquid Effects is a clear, liquid gel which is similar in texture and consistency to Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel and Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt. However, the Liquid Effects provides more hold and humidity protection than either of these two... which is needed in a humid climate.

To apply, I a divide my hair into four to six sections and evenly coat each section with about one quarters worth. I like to hear a "squish" sound as I apply to the section. This lets me know that each hair strand has been adequately coated. I then let my hair air dry until a slight crystalline cast starts to form. I will then diffuse dry to enhance the curl even more or continue to let it air dry fully. If there is any cast remaining, it's easily scrunched out.

One really neat thing about Liquid Effects is despite the product containing no ingredients that should be difficult to remove, it rinses out silky soft in the shower and leaves your hair feeling even more conditioned! It's a pretty amazing product! I hope that AG never discontinues this item (or Plastique)! Highly recommended as a go-to for Curly Girls!

on 10/1/2016 8:44:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I am on the 3rd bottle I think. The re-purchase made my review this long time staple. I don't use it for curling though. It is a gel and its very, very firm hold. My hair is naturally curling so I actually uses it to stretch my curls so I can wet set them into waves. I recommend it for either of these purposes, as a wet set styling lotion, say like a Lottabody Set Lotion, or as a curl stretcher. Provides the most amazing shine to hair. Like a serum with hold.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I bought this when I stopped using silicones and sulfates in my hair...this does contain a water-soluble silicone for you CG's reading this, so it's safe to use if you're sulfate-free!

This is not a lotion. It has the consistency of liquid soap, but don't let that weird you out...it's holding power is AWESOME. It is crunchy when it first dries but it quickly goes away leaving you with soft, defined curls. This is one of the only products I've ever actually been impressed with (most products just get the job done....this is quite impressive.) I just use this+leave in conditioner and I've had more good hair days than I've had combined in the last 10 years. This is also great for second day hair! Just scrunch some in after misting with water and my hair looks great. Will def repurchase if Ulta has another sale.

Popular Styling Products