Maybelline Expert Eyes Twin Brow & Eye Pencils

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Rhus Succedanea (Rhus Succedanea Fruit Wax), Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Lanolin, Ozokerite, Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Silica, Ceresin, Talc, Synthetic Beeswax, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Zinc Stearate, Sorbitan Stearate, Polysorbate 60, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT, Butylparaben, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77400 (Copper Powder) (Bronze Powder), CI 77000 (Aluminum Powder), FD&C Blue 1 (Blue 1 Lake)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Used this eyeliner in the early 90's. Had to soften it with a cigarette lighter before applying. Not surprisingly, it didn't stay put throughout the day. I wish I could go back in time and give myself any other current-day eyeliner, like some kind of time-travelling makeup fairy.

I was using this along with the equally crappy Maybelline Great Lash, so there was a whole lot of smudging going on.

I can't speak for the brow pencil. I'm sure it's ymmv. The price is right.

The eyeliner, however, needs to be launched into the sun if it feels like it needs a flame to do its job.

To dry and hard to apply I would not repurchase

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This very reasonably priced set of brow/eye pencils are an old drugstore standby that isn't terrible, but certainly isn't great. If you're balling on a budget and can't afford more than $5 on a makeup item, this is fine and passable and won't ruin your makeup or anything crazy like that, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't better options available that don't cost but a couple more dollars.

The main issue, for me, is that the darkest shade of these is still rather warm/reddish and not suitable for matching with very dark brown/black hair unless you don't mind having noticeably lighter brows than your hair. Personally the best look for me is a very dark, ashy brown that could pass for black. This was more of a medium reddish brown that looked okay in person but showed up pretty warm-toned in pictures.

The formula is not bad but a wee bit patchy. It's not waxy or greasy, but it wasn't completely even. After running a spoolie throughout, it looked considerably better. It stayed on my brows all day and didn't wear off weirdly or anything.

As an eyeliner, this didn't show up especially great in the waterline and maybe wouldn't be so good on the upper lash line because it's kind of a stiff consistency more suited for brow pencils. I didn't try it on the upper lid but if it ends up being a rock star, I will revise my rating.

For me, this was just kind of a middle of the road type product, kind of old school and dated, seeing as there are so many great brow products flooding the market even at the drugstore. It would be fine in a beginners makeup kit or if you're working with a tight budget, but the slight patchiness and warm, too-light color selection means I most likely won't be repurchasing.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

In my opinion, this is the BEST eyebrow pencil anybody could want! I've tried lots of brands and types, but This is definitely the best in my experience.

On normal to dry skin it stays put really well and doesn't smudge easily. Looks just as good on oilier skin and stays put pretty well as long as your eyelids are freshly washed, clean and dry. Either way, if you use a sealer, it doesn't matter what skin-type you have, it stays put.

For sealer I slick some "Fruit of the Earth" clear aloe gel over my brows after applying the pencil. It WILL NOT run or smudge if you do this, even if you sweat. The gel is great for your skin, clean, natural and doesn't show except for a slight, silky shine on your brows, which I think looks nice.

Wipe off any excess on the skin around your eyes because it CAN make your bare skin appear slightly shiny.
A word of warning, though! If you get caught in a light rain or mist, or humidity, no big deal! It stays put just fine! But if you get soaking wet in a downpour, the aloe gel can get in your eyes and it's irritating. Really irritating : ( though it hasn't actually HURT my eyes.

If you think you might get caught in the rain, just skip the gel, this brow pencil has good staying power. I like sealing it with the gel because if I accidently rub or touch my brows, it won't smudge. It really is a good sealer. Bring a hat in case it rains and it isn't an issue!

Maybe there is another gel out there, aloe or otherwise, that would'nt irritate eyes, but I've used this gel for years on my skin and in my hair, so it's always on hand and I've never looked for anything else!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have been using these religiously for years, but a few tricks are necessary to get them to work well.

The consistency is very dry, hard, and waxy. NOT creamy. (The thought of someone using these on their eyelids makes me cringe.) Because of this, though, the staying power is fantastic. Lasts through swimming, sleeping, everything. Usually lasts 24 hours on me. Impressive.

Because of the difficult consistency, this only works for me with a few little tricks. The pencil MUST be kept very well sharpened. Most sharpeners these days have a little barrier that the tip of the pencil runs into, which grinds off the tip and keeps it from fully sharpening. So frustrating!! I make sure to use an old sharpener that sharpens fully to a thin point. Also, it helps to first run one light swipe of lightweight lip balm very lightly through your brows to make the pencil glide on better. This helps keep the pencil from dragging as you apply it, so it applies smoothly in even strokes instead of skidding and leaving clumps of color. (I'm pale and my brows are sparse, so I have to put this on carefully in order for it to look natural.)

Dirt cheap - about $3.50 for 2 in shops, and even cheaper online / eBay.

The blonde color is a nice taupe / grey / light brown with no orange or red tones.

Love these!!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Been using these a lot to do my eyebrows with and they work really well, only thing is you have to keep them sharped because they work better. This pencil stays put all day and does not come off very easily (love/hate that) it doesn't set all weird which gives me plenty of time to work with it and do what I need to also they are very affordable and easily accessible I have even found them at dollar tree before. Its a must try and one of my HG products.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have this in the blonde shade (I have light-medium brown hair), and it works and looks great! It's so easy to use--much easier than the mascara-wand type or "liquid"-type applicators. This has a fair staying power, but I find when wearing this that I take care not to rub my eyebrows. But I just discovered something! Just for Men Mustache & Beard coloring! You mix a bit of the two tubes together, apply, and then rub off in five minutes. Lasts for a week or two. I used this on my red-headed cousin this weekend, and she's ecstatic! Her eyebrows had been nonexistent, and she now has nice looking eyebrows without doing anything!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Where are you people finding these? They were deleted in Canada a decade ago. I still have a lot of them (or the short stubs, because they require frequent sharpening) because I used to buy them in the twin packs when they were on sale. I use them now and again if I am in a big hurry. They are wax pencils and they are all that existed in the 50s and 60s. My mom used them since the 1940s. The reason I still have so many is that I rarely used them since I discovered eyebrow powders that are superior for my sparse brows. They don't look pencilled on. However, some history and nostalgia - these used to come in many shades - blonde, light brown, medium brown, dark brown, auburn, black; those are the ones I recall. I used the light, medium and dark brown at various times for the brows and dark brown or black for lining the eyes sometimes. Again, this is all there was for eyeliner as well. In grade seven, at age 13 when most girls started using makeup, only eyeliner was allowed in school. And eyeliner was this pencil. This was the first beauty product I owned, besides a pale pink lipstick.

I have used these little dual brow pencils for many years and still use them today. I have found another pencil (finally and it is made by LA Colors - See the review I left for that one as well) that is easier to apply and has great staying power, however I will still use these for when I want to get the best definition and staying power in hot weather. They are made with hard wax and sharpen to an immaculate point for the best definition you can get with an eye brow pencil. I have reddish brown hair and light/medium skin, so the blonde pencil is perfect for me if used with a light hand. These are a little pricier than the LA Colors, but still a lot better price than the high end pencils that do not perform any better than these do!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I wish these worked for me, but sadly they didn't. The quality itself is great, just like it is with most of Maybelline's products. It's just that it pulls red on my face, which is a huge no-no for me. I'm an NC35 with dark brown hair and eyebrows, so you can imagine how horrible I looked with orangey red brows. :P

What's interesting about this is that Maybelline isn't the only company that does this; many of them put a bit of red in their brown and/or dark brown eyebrow pencils. I guess it's because so many women have a bit of red undertone in their hair, and perhaps these pencils are designed so that they soften the face while accentuating on the red.

But for the rest of us, all hope is not lost. If you're like me and have absolutely no red in your hair whatsoever, you might try New York Color (NYC) Kohl Brow/Eyeliner pencil. It's super cheap, only $1-2, and blends great.

*I almost hate to give this only 2 lippies because there's nothing wrong with the quality whatsoever, but maybe this review can prevent someone from wasting time and money on it if their hair is like mine.

Popular Brows Products