79%
package quality

price range

Reviews

22 days ago

Like the reviewer below stated...these are NOT discontinued, and are still being sold pretty much everywhere that carries Maybelline. I just bought 2 packs of Blonde a few days ago. I love these brow pencils, and have tried this in 3 shades : Medium Brown, Light Brown, and now Blonde. I like Light Brown, because it's not too dark, but since my hair is currently a light blonde, I decided to try a lighter color. Both Light and Medium brown are *very* warm toned, which a lot of people may not like. Blonde is perfect for light blondes who don't want overly dark brows. I would describe it as a light neutral taupe, and very natural looking for my ash toned brows. I think these work best for shaping and filling in brows that aren't super thin. The texture is great, not overly stiff, but not too creamy. Having to sharpen these is a little inconvenient, but I can overlook that for the low price point ($3.25). I will repurchase!

About reviewer (12 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Curly, Other

a month ago

I’m not sure why the product title here says it’s discontinued, these are always at Walgreens and target etc., and on amazon. I’m in the us, maybe they are d/c somewhere else? Anyway the velvet black is the best eyeliner I’ve found. It stays the longest and looks the blackest. Yes, I use the lighter trick, I learned it from some older girls when I was in high school in 1979 lolz. I have used A LOT of different eyeliners in my life, and the fact that this is so hard is the key, once it “sets” on my eyes, it stays put and doesn’t smear like softer liners do. I also believe that the melting causes the black pigment to look blacker. As others have mentioned a very sharp sharpener is key, I get the ones that are round, and all metal and usually say “made in Germany” on them somewhere, those seem to be the sharpest. I should also mention that the 80’s were my really formative teen years, and I like a *very* lined look, bordering on punky so YYMV

About reviewer (2 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

a year ago

I bought blonde, light brown, and medium brown. The color payoff on my brows is amazing. It's not an eyeliner as advertised but honestly just bought this for my brows - didn't expect a $2.90 pencil to do any good as an eyeliner anyway. I love all the different shades I bought. Blonde was more of a pale cool ash brown (almost borders on grey) - just a heads up as it's not really blonde or gold/yellow at all. Light brown seems the most neutral and medium brown has a hint of auburn that looks amazing without being overly red. These are great value and easy to use (it's my first time trying a brown pencil). Can't beat this value will definitely rebuy.

About reviewer (170 reviews)

Age

SkinSensitive, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

2 years ago

Always come back to this! Perfect match for my light ash colored brows. Formula goes on really well.

About reviewer (4 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairSilver, Straight, Medium

1.0

3 years ago

Used this eyeliner in the early 90's. Had to soften it with a cigarette lighter before applying. Not surprisingly, it didn't stay put throughout the day. I wish I could go back in time and give myself any other current-day eyeliner, like some kind of time-travelling makeup fairy. I was using this along with the equally crappy Maybelline Great Lash, so there was a whole lot of smudging going on. I can't speak for the brow pencil. I'm sure it's ymmv. The price is right. The eyeliner, however, needs to be launched into the sun if it feels like it needs a flame to do its job.

About reviewer (33 reviews)

Age

SkinDry, Fair, Neutral

HairRed, Wavy, Fine

2.0

3 years ago

To dry and hard to apply I would not repurchase

About reviewer (14 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

3.0

3 years ago

This very reasonably priced set of brow/eye pencils are an old drugstore standby that isn't terrible, but certainly isn't great. If you're balling on a budget and can't afford more than $5 on a makeup item, this is fine and passable and won't ruin your makeup or anything crazy like that, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't better options available that don't cost but a couple more dollars. The main issue, for me, is that the darkest shade of these is still rather warm/reddish and not suitable for matching with very dark brown/black hair unless you don't mind having noticeably lighter brows than your hair. Personally the best look for me is a very dark, ashy brown that could pass for black. This was more of a medium reddish brown that looked okay in person but showed up pretty warm-toned in pictures. The formula is not bad but a wee bit patchy. It's not waxy or greasy, but it wasn't completely even. After running a spoolie throughout, it looked considerably better. It stayed on my brows all day and didn't wear off weirdly or anything. As an eyeliner, this didn't show up especially great in the waterline and maybe wouldn't be so good on the upper lash line because it's kind of a stiff consistency more suited for brow pencils. I didn't try it on the upper lid but if it ends up being a rock star, I will revise my rating. For me, this was just kind of a middle of the road type product, kind of old school and dated, seeing as there are so many great brow products flooding the market even at the drugstore. It would be fine in a beginners makeup kit or if you're working with a tight budget, but the slight patchiness and warm, too-light color selection means I most likely won't be repurchasing.

About reviewer (274 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinNormal, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Fine

EyesGreen

3 years ago

In my opinion, this is the BEST eyebrow pencil anybody could want! I've tried lots of brands and types, but This is definitely the best in my experience. On normal to dry skin it stays put really well and doesn't smudge easily. Looks just as good on oilier skin and stays put pretty well as long as your eyelids are freshly washed, clean and dry. Either way, if you use a sealer, it doesn't matter what skin-type you have, it stays put. For sealer I slick some "Fruit of the Earth" clear aloe gel over my brows after applying the pencil. It WILL NOT run or smudge if you do this, even if you sweat. The gel is great for your skin, clean, natural and doesn't show except for a slight, silky shine on your brows, which I think looks nice. Wipe off any excess on the skin around your eyes because it CAN make your bare skin appear slightly shiny. A word of warning, though! If you get caught in a light rain or mist, or humidity, no big deal! It stays put just fine! But if you get soaking wet in a downpour, the aloe gel can get in your eyes and it's irritating. Really irritating : ( though it hasn't actually HURT my eyes. If you think you might get caught in the rain, just skip the gel, this brow pencil has good staying power. I like sealing it with the gel because if I accidently rub or touch my brows, it won't smudge. It really is a good sealer. Bring a hat in case it rains and it isn't an issue! Maybe there is another gel out there, aloe or otherwise, that would'nt irritate eyes, but I've used this gel for years on my skin and in my hair, so it's always on hand and I've never looked for anything else!

About reviewer (13 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Fair

HairSilver

EyesHazel

3 years ago

I have been using these religiously for years, but a few tricks are necessary to get them to work well. The consistency is very dry, hard, and waxy. NOT creamy. (The thought of someone using these on their eyelids makes me cringe.) Because of this, though, the staying power is fantastic. Lasts through swimming, sleeping, everything. Usually lasts 24 hours on me. Impressive. Because of the difficult consistency, this only works for me with a few little tricks. The pencil MUST be kept very well sharpened. Most sharpeners these days have a little barrier that the tip of the pencil runs into, which grinds off the tip and keeps it from fully sharpening. So frustrating!! I make sure to use an old sharpener that sharpens fully to a thin point. Also, it helps to first run one light swipe of lightweight lip balm very lightly through your brows to make the pencil glide on better. This helps keep the pencil from dragging as you apply it, so it applies smoothly in even strokes instead of skidding and leaving clumps of color. (I'm pale and my brows are sparse, so I have to put this on carefully in order for it to look natural.) Dirt cheap - about $3.50 for 2 in shops, and even cheaper online / eBay. The blonde color is a nice taupe / grey / light brown with no orange or red tones. Love these!!

About reviewer (158 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinNormal, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Straight, Medium

EyesGreen

4 years ago

Been using these a lot to do my eyebrows with and they work really well, only thing is you have to keep them sharped because they work better. This pencil stays put all day and does not come off very easily (love/hate that) it doesn't set all weird which gives me plenty of time to work with it and do what I need to also they are very affordable and easily accessible I have even found them at dollar tree before. Its a must try and one of my HG products.

About reviewer (55 reviews)

Age19-24