Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Shine

Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Shine

4.4

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love YSL waterproof mascara and was excited to try their lipstick. Saks gave me a free sample that is just too cute! The YSL container is beautiful even with the sample. I love the lipstick color is displayed on the outside of the container so you know right away which color. I received #49 free which is a coral color. This is not a color I would ever wear, but free, I thought I would at least give it a try at home. In public, it is just not the right color for me. I would not recommend #49 unless you are very pale.

The smell is amazing. It is a light fragrance that is cross between mango and orange. Keep small children away since they might try to eat it. I have sensitive skin and this does not cause any problems. I end up applying this all day long because I just love the smell of the product. As it hits your warm lips, the smell just flushes into your nose and makes you whisper to yourself yummy... but it does not taste anymore as good as it smells.

The product glides on very nicely. It is very oily and shiny. I would consider this product more of a lipgloss than lipstick. I applied on bare lips and it felt like it was just going to glide right off. While it did not glide right off, it does transfer to glass rims and people. After the shine comes off, your lips are nicely stained by the color, which I personally like. I also like the fact that the product in the container stays put. Other lipsticks that are glossy tend to break off and then you have to use a brush to apply. This is tough product. I leave screwed it all the way open to see if it would budge or break off, nope. I prefer to apply this after I line my lips. That seems to help it not glide off my lips.

This does keep my lips moisturized all day long. Make sure to exfoliate any dead skin cells before applying. The product almost feels like it is massaging my lips all day. The color is not long lasting, but somehow the product still continues to moisturize when it appears to be gone.

The color selection is limited, I did not find a color that I really like. To be honest with you, the price of the product is not worth it. There are better lipsticks out there for half the price. Okay, you won't get the fabulous smell, but that is okay with me.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is beyond beautiful as the experience of applying it is a dream! It is silky, deliciously textured, and has a light scent which is not over-powering. It doesn't irritate my sensitive lips, either. For me, everything else which I tried previously to this product, went out the window. I purchased the YSL Dangerous Pink 112 which is vibrantly between a pink and a red, making it incredibly versatile for a whole range of events and occasions. In fact, I would go as far to say that it is my HG lip gloss which I am able to wear throughout the year.

I first wore this while on a luxury yacht cruise throughout Tasmania where I was drinking champagne and having canapes. Later into the evening, I unfortunately developed food poisoning from a lunch at the markets, so I was sick almost 12 times on the yacht with another few times at the MOMA gallery event. My makeup (mascara) was running down my face from tears, my hair was a mess, but my lipstick held up for at least 6 of the 12 times. It actually freshened my face and added colour back into it. Anyhow, I continue to wear this product and LOVE it. It is a saver which will get you (literally) through anything and your lips will still look fabulous!

on 1/16/2017 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

YSL has such gorgeous packaging. It's probably one of my favorites among all the high-end brands. The Rouge Volupte Shine lipsticks on my vanity look like glimmering jeweled treasures in the sea of black and white packaging that most of my makeup collection seems to be housed in. Not that black and white is bad at all, but these lipsticks really stand out from the crowd.

If you've ever tried the YSL Tint-in-Oil treatment and desired more pigmentation out of those, then the Rouge Volupte Shines would appeal to you. The formulas aren't really that similar (the Tint-in-Oils are like an oil/non-sticky gloss that initially has a super wet-looking finish, while the Rouge Volupte Shines are like a slippery, highly pigmented lip balm), but I find that as they dry down they both leave the same moisturizing satin stain. It's a very forgiving formula that is easy to apply and looks great on the lips no matter what - and also leave your lips feeling healthy and moisturized afterwards. You can go sheer or pack on the layers without any problems. Lasting time is about a couple of hours for the shine to disappear but the resulting stain lingers for several hours after that. And of course, the brand's signature mango scent is present here, although I didn't find it to be as strong in this lipstick as some of their other ones.

This is a nice lipstick, and I appreciate its comfortable, hydrating qualities, but I feel like I'm almost more drawn to the packaging than the contents itself. It's a great formula, but if the exterior looked crappy I would never dare to spend $37 on it.

I've coveted a YSL lipstick since the day I graduated high school (which is also when I started to become more interested in makeup). The sleek gold package, the YSL emblem (is that the right word?...y'all know what I mean), and the gorgeously silky texture. My two best friends used to spend our university spares in the YSL department in the Bay; it was both a gift and a curse that the Bay was a 5 minute walk away from the downtown-centred university. After almost 4 years of eyeing this product I finally bit the bullet (but not the lipstick bullet..oh god no...) and bought my first YSL lipstick. Here is my mixed review on it:

Pros:

1) Texture: the texture of this product is like a silky, moisturizing lipstick, suspended in oil. It most definitely feels slightly oily on the lips, but I can overlook that. It's not like 'I just finished eating KFC greasy' but rather like a vaseline-like greasy. This glides evenly on the lips because of the texture and sinks into your lips (especially if they are dry like mine always are). It's also to be noted that while the lipstick is verrry balm-like, it somehow retains its shape even after you twist it back down. Sometimes after your done applying lipstick, it can change shape and scrape extra off to the sides of the dispenser. I'm not sure what kind of magic YSL is doing here..but I love it! This product also does not bleed on the lips

2) Application: easy to apply which is surprising given that the formula is so emollient and slippery. One swipe of this specific colour gives me very decent payoff and I can build up the colour. The finish is a beautiful gloss..

3)Formula: That being said, this product is clearly not matte or satin, but rather a gloss that slowly leaves a stain. I absolutely love this because it means that the longevity is there. I can't speak for more neutral or light colours, but pourpre intouchable (#2) stains the lips for a few hours (even with food breaks in between).

4) Packaging: Like..i mean...do I need to talk about how gorgeous the bullet is?! All that aside, the actual dispenser-tube is also gold in colour and very sturdy. The lipstick itself is incredibly heavy and feel expensive. I also HATE HATE HATE (!!!) when the lipstick does not retrieve all the way back into the dispenser/lipstick holder (Revlon HD lipsticks do this) thus causing you to either : A) have the surgeon-precision to put the lid back on without mucking up the lipstick or B) You f*ck up your pristine lipstick. The entire YSL lipstick is covered by the metal holder, thus you'll never have this problem.

Con:

1) Packaging: Ironically, the highlight of YSL is also the demise. The packaging get scuffed up like crazy and gets scratches all over it. This personally has not happened to me, but I've seen the tester lipsticks at Sephora and The Bay and they do not look pretty. Because of this, I have to leave the lipstick in the box it comes it. Not a huge problem, but it just becomes an extra step.

2) Texture: Somehow even though this lipstick is suspended in oil, it leave my lips very dry. Perhaps I have an aversion to one of the ingredients...i don't know, but the formula needs to be worked on. This has also happened to me with the YSL tint-in-oil.

3) Application: if you have crusty-dry lips PLEASE (x100) exfoliate and mositurize prior to application. Unfortunately this shade along with 90% of the other ones, clings to dry patches and emphasizes the sh*t out of them.

4) Colour range: the colour range is crap. It caters predominately to lighter skin tones as the colour being mentioned (#2) is the only deep one. I also have this in corail incandescent and I end up looking like Dave Chappelle in his coke skit. Not a pretty look. Unfortunately many of the colours are incredibly bright and very peach/coral toned.

5) Price: This really deserves a two categories because at at $45 CAD price tag, I expected wayy more. It's a big hit to the ol' wallet. With this $$ I could have gotten 5 Maybelline lipsticks (which I enjoy very much).

6) Perception: the colour range, like I said, is not that great, but to add fuel to the fire, Sephora does an incredibly horrible job at showing an accurate picture of what each colour looks like. Furthermore, the colours look slightly different in the tube versus the lips. You're probably thinking, " you probably have very pigmented lips." and NO I don't. My lips have ZERO pigmentation, and even then the tube colour is different than what is on my lips. Make sure you go to Sephora to test each colour and don't blind-buy...also, go outside to see the colour since the lighting in Sephora is garbage.

Overall: Is it worth it? NO
Do you need this in your life? NO
Would this make a nice gift for you or someone else? YES
Do I use it everyday? YES. The colour #2 actually compliments my yellow-based skintone very well and is flattering with 99% of M/U looks.

Verdict: i'm still on the fence. Yes this is nice, but it's not a must-have or a HG lippie.. My best advice to you is to go to sephora, swatch the colours you like, go outside, then make your decision based off of that. Like I said, the colour range is a bit off, so this line of lipsticks will not flatter everyone (I would say over half of the colours do not flatter my NC25 skintone..).

on 8/17/2016 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have #16, a pretty, sheer orange. I just dab it on, and wow, tons of color, albeit sheer. I have pigmented lips and this looks like a lovely soft stain. It does fade a bit, but I only dab it on; I still have color at the end of the day on my lips. It is great for summer, will see if it works out for me in the winter.

on 5/14/2016 3:58:00 PM

This review is for the new oil in stick formula released spring 2016. Shades 44 (Lavaliere Nude) and 47 (Beige Blouse) both nude, MLBB! In fact they are pretty much identical! what can say, I needed them both in my life! 44 being just a fraction paler than 47.
To me these are just heaven in lipstick form, I find them to be very well pigmented for a balmy/glossy lipstick. Staying power isn't magnificent but that's to be expected with this type of formula and it certainly makes up for it in other ways! The older I get (34) the more I try to steer clear of matte formulations in lipstick form - I don't find them to be very flattering on my fairly thin lips and don't like anything that's accentuates those pesky fine lines around the lip. These are just beautiful, they have a lovely plumping effect, the colour glides on so smoothly, I find them to leave a very even and flattering stain to the lip once the juicy, glossy effect wears off. Honestly I can't rave about these enough! The packaging is divine! I own A LOT of lipsticks and YSL packaging takes some beating.
My one and only gripe about the lipstick if I was being really picky is the scent - im not a big fan - I can't decide whether it's mango, melon or peachy in scent - however, I'm not keen. I get over though as formulation, shade range and packaging make up for it.
I can't imagine anyone disappointed with these lipsticks.

on 5/12/2016 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I have this lipstick in #8 (a pinky color) and I absolutely love it. The sheer formula is really nice and looks fantastic on the lips. #8 is the perfect "your lips but better" shade for me and it goes with every makeup look. It doesn't last a long time, but no sheer lipsticks really do. It looks beautiful when it is on though. Even when it's gone, it leaves a pretty stain on the lips. The packaging is gorgeous, that goes without saying. I think it's worth the price. It adds a kind of beautiful sheen I haven't seen out of other sheer lipsticks I have. I'm definitely looking to get some other shades. I think an orange shade would add a really nice fresh tint to the lips.

on 5/5/2016 12:19:00 PM

I purchased #15 Coral Intuitive. The color is soft peach. It is quite sheer so I have to apply multiple times on my lips in order to get full color. Unfortunately, it does not last long, either.

The fragrance is quite noticeable. Nice mango smell at first. But I get bothered by it when I eat. It is just too strong for me. The packaging is super high quality.

This is a nice lipstick. But I am not loving enough to repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the Rouge Volupte Shine oil-in-stick #43 Rose Rive Gauche.
I exchanged Bobbi Brown's Soft Rose lipstick for this as the BB lipstick can be rather drying and emphasize my lips lines.

The Rouge Volupte shine lipsticks are much more forgiving. Yes, they're not as creamy or pigmented as other lipsticks so it's a trade off.
I can't wear anything long wearing anymore because they make me look older plus the drying factor.
At least YSL lipsticks have that luxurious packaging so I don't mind taking it out in public to re-apply my lipstick.

Rose Rive Gauche is described as a smoky rose according to Sephora and it's fairly accurate. It does have coral undertones which is the perfect combination for me.
The Oil in stick lip products are supposed to be made of 65% oils and within four weeks, I should see my lips looking visibly healthy and more nourished.

I've learned not to buy into the marketing ploys but rather, how does this lipstick make my lips feel and look?

Does it make my lips looks dry and aged? No and that's an important consideration for my nearly 50 year old lips.

Does it look like my lips but better? Yes, most definitely and this was the primary reason why I bought it. I want that 'my lips but better' look for the spring/summer months when I wear less makeup. I love wearing it with Dior's 773 Paradise lip gloss for a bit more colour and oomph to my lips.

Is it worth the $40 CAD? That's all subjective and how much you're willing to spend on a lipstick. This is probably my absolute limit for a lipstick and I'd spend if I knew I'd wear the colour regularly. (one lipstick deducted for the steep price)

I'll probably use this lipstick rather quickly compared to others because I'll be applying it more often because of the sheerness.
A worthwhile investment for the look it gives me.

on 4/9/2016 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I absolutely love this lipstick! I got #44 (Nude) and it is light pinky-nude color, looks amazing and lasts long enough - about two hours. I love that these lipsticks are very creamy and moisturizing, the best formula ever!
The cons - very expensive ($45 incl. tax, in Canada) and it smells pretty bad. I am not sure if it's supposed to be melon scent or other, but for me it is very unpleasant an way too much. I wish it was lighter scented or no scent at all.

Popular Lipsticks