NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Straight
NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

2.9

Mica, Nylon-12, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane / Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491)

on 10/10/2017 4:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I've had high expectations of this product due to the fact I love NYX and it is such an affordable powder. The fact is that I have combination skin with a very oily T zone which I try to calm down. Well this product didn't keep me matte for 3 hours. I had to blot like 2 times during 5 hours. You can even see it on your finger that it has not a completely matte finish. So for me it's a big no. If your skin is kinda dry to normal give it a try it will probably work for you but I would definitely not recommend it for combination to oily skin like mine.

I bought this to replace my much loved but no longer available Flower Powder Foundation. I live in Canada where the Flower line was discontinued, but I was in LOVE with the coverage and feel of their powder foundation. It gave light to medium coverage but sort of blurred my pores.

This foundation appealed to me because it is available in some extremely pale shades and because I like to forego liquid products on occasion without compromising coverage.

While this definitely can't completely replace my beloved Flower Foundation, it is a close second. The shade I got matches my pale skin really well, and this product works great using the included sponge for medium coverage, or as a light setting powder with a brush. My skin has been extremely oily this summer and this foundation keeps me matte most of the day, with a slight touch up about five hours into wear.

I love that it is not completely flat, there is a slight sheen, almost indiscernible, that makes for a very natural finish. Lovely product, I will repurchase for sure.

on 4/29/2017 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

EDIT: my current use for this is on days when I just wear Roche posay tinted sunscreen on my cheeks and I can just dust my T zone lightly with this. (Sometimes I use a mattifying primer). I tend to be dry on the cheeks and oily on the nose. I am not sure it holds up much better than my regular powder, but I am trying to use up what I have. IMO, powder foundation tends to run a little light, so I go slightly darker. If it looks cakey, and you have brushed off excess and applied on well moisturized, exfoliated primed skin, then I cheat and spritz with Cinema secrets moisture spray.

------------
Original review:
I am NC 30-35, asian, olive combination skin. I forgot I owned this. It's wasn't as easy to color match as the liquid version. When I first bought it, it was cakey (applied with sponge, both wet and dry). After reading about Wayne Goss's powder under foundation technique, I tried this more recently using a dense flat bottom stipple brush. (The rationale in my mind was if WG got better coverage and texture using regular powder under liquid foundation, perhaps I could get a bit better coverage on my problem areas using powder foundation under liquid foundation. The order was primer (a drop of Curel hydra therapy is what Ive been using recently as both moisturizer and primer); then this, applied Very lightly and buffed; then regular liquid foundation stippled on with a drop of Curel mixed in; and then finishing powder. It takes longer to read this than to apply; but because it's buffed out, you wnd up with less product on; solid medium coverage that lasts and doesn't oxidize. there is a bit more coverage than with regular powder, so I don't recommend this all over the face - just on problem areas. I marked would buy again because I believe it is good enough for me to repurchase, but given the fact that I have so accumulated a bunch of foundation and powder foundations that I'd like to use up, this seems unlikely.

Note: i do have a preference for the liquid version of this product- easier to match, simpler to work with. My foundation of choice is cinema secrets foundation palette 3, but the SMNF liquid is very acceptable.

on 5/18/2016 7:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I was looking for a powder foundation to lighten up my routine for the summer but sadly, this isn't it. The powder gives light coverage when used dry, and light leaning medium coverage when applied with a damp sponge. It's certainly not enough coverage for someone like me who suffers from rosacea and broken capillaries. On application it can be a bit cakey, though it does settle down well enough. It feels oddly heavier than my normal liquid and cream foundations despite being a powder. On my oily skin it barely lasts 3 hours before starting to break down and fade away entirely. I thought a powder foundation might be less hassle, but since I would have to touch up so often, it is actually more work than it is worth.

I've also tried using it as a finishing powder to add a bit more coverage to my blotchy cheeks. In this way it works well enough, although it does tend to cake on top of liquid foundations so I only do this sparingly. It still does not provide much oil control when used in this way, and it has a very powdery appearance.

Overall this just didn't suit my needs. I think someone with overall better skin that is neither particularly oily nor dry with less noticeable pores would probably get better results.

on 4/19/2016 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Limited color selection that tends to lean pink and applied highly cakey on my dry skin. Did not enjoy this and would not recommend for anyone with dry skin with golden undertones.

This would probably work for normal/oily skin with neutral or cool undertones.

on 9/1/2015 9:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like to have a pressed powder compact handy for quick shine touch ups and occasionally to set my under-eye concealer. Grabbing the package off the shelf I had not realized it was powder foundation; but I'm glad I bought it!

While applying with a damp sponge there were a few spots I had to blend with my finger to remove a powdery film. Otherwise it was blendable, afforded an even and light finish, color was good (light-medium worked for me). I waited for it to set expecting a mask-like look to set in - never happened. Brightened up my look a bit.

I've only used a similar product by LancĂ´me, which was cakey and dull and made me look sick. By comparison, this product is an absolute godsend.

The finish lasted all day.

on 8/18/2015 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I wouldn't call this a powder foundation as the coverage isn't there. However, it's a great if you're not looking for huge amounts of coverage. I can even out my skin tone with this but definitely need to use concealer. Somehow, this powder makes my skin look really good even though the finish looks like I haven't applied any powder. It doesn't even leave a smoothed finish but still it strangely makes my skin look good! Also, the oil control is the best I've ever had with a powder. This is a major plus for me as my forehead usually starts looking oily in an hour. It also definitely won't make your skin look flat - just matte!

on 7/28/2015 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I love this powder (Medium beige)! I have used Studiofix (C4) for the past few years and can say I will not go back. This compact is matte and sets right in. The coverage over concealer and/or foundation is perfect. I have combination skin and acne prone (this did not break me out) The price also helps :) Def a must try...

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Love the idea of powder foundation for a quick makeup in the morning. This actually looked good on me, not too flat, but I broke out every time I wore it. The last time I tried it, I wore only the powder, just to see if that was the cause. Three hours later, I had little pimples all around my face. Wish I'd kept the receipt, because I can't use it now.

on 7/17/2015 9:52:00 PM

Unfortunately I bought this in the wrong color. My complexion is a light/fair with pink undertones. I bought this on the Ulta website in Nude. It certainly looked like it was light with pink undertones on the site but unfortunately in reality it is very yellow and definitely does not match my skin at all, at least not as a powder foundation. I decided to use this as a light dusting powder as the coverage is really nice. That is one thing that I hate about buying foundations/powders/concealers online as the shades are never true to life. Well at least for me they aren't. Pigmentation is very good and if I could find this in my true color match, I would definitely repurchase!