La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Face Fluid TINTED SPF 50+

3.7

Aqua / Water, Isododecane, Isononyl Isononanoate, Alcohol Denat, Cyclohexasiloxane, Octocrylene, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Titanium Dioxide [Nano, Titanium Dioxide, Isocetyl Stearate, Glycerin, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, BIS-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Propylene Glycol, Silica, Cassia Alata Leaf Extract, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Iron Oxides, CI 77891, Titanium Dioxide, Disodium EDTA, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dodecene, Drometrizole Trisiloxane, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Isopropyl Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Isostearyl Alcohol, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone, Maltodextrin, Phenoxyethanol, Poloxamer 407, Poly C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate, Propylene Carbonate, Terephthalydene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid, Tocopherol, Triethanolamine, Parfum

I read great things about this tinted sunscreen and, because I was trying to get double-duty out of a product for an upcoming trip, I decided to try it. Thank goodness I tried it out on my face before I packed it for traveling!

It's very thin coming out of the bottle, and the bottle, when shaken, sounds like a can of spray paint. Applying it was easy enough and it did give me a nice, satin finish with just a hint of a glow. Fast-forward two hours later on a warm, humid day and I still looked good. Then I got a case of the Oompa Loompas...

At three hours, I turned orange and greasy. The skin on my face was at least three shades darker than my neck and the rest of my body. I could hardly wait to get home and wash my face. I had such high hopes...oh, well.

It made my forehead totally break, i have read lots of good things about it so i gave a chance but cant use again.

Nice sunscreen.

It is runny but actually sinks in your skin lightly and you can't feel it. Usually I think of sunscreen as overly thick. The SPF level is great.

The problem I have is with the tint of the sunscreen. It gets splotchy for me. It makes me orangish. Also, compared to regular sunscreen I can buy from CVS it is extremely pricey.

As a brown-skinned Indian person, this is the best sunscreen I have ever used.

***Please keep in mind that Anthelios sunscreens are formulated differently in Europe and the US. The European formulation is far superior and contains the top-tier chemical UV filters Mexoryl SX and XL (ingredient names: Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid and Drometrizole Trisiloxane). These filters haven't been approved for use by the FDA in the US, so the American version of this sunscreen is a 'watered down' version of it and contains more dated filters like Oxybenzone, Avobenzone, etc. - and furthermore, Mexoryl SX and XL are photostable, meaning they won't degrade when exposed to sunlight, while Oxybenzone and Avobenzone are hardly photostable and will require continuous application every two hours if you want to maintain the protection. So get the European version of this if you can, otherwise don't waste your money***

Now that we have gotten that out of the way, this tinted sunscreen is just wonderful. This is a mineral sunscreen that combines both chemical and physical filters for maximum protection. It doesn't clog my pores, doesn't break me out, it isn't greasy upon application, it doesn't leave a white cast on my brown Indian skin (although I do wish the tint could be a little bit darker so that it could match my skin colour better - perhaps La Roche Posay could look into releasing a darker shade?) Furthermore, as I mentioned above, the photostability of the Mexoryl filters is the best part, because there is no way I can find the time or energy to continuously re-apply sunscreen every two hours.

It is a bit complicated to apply though because it is very runny and watery, but you'll get used to it. My one gripe about this product is that it makes me look a little greasy at the end of the day, but it is nothing compared to the greasiness I experienced when I used other brands.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

I have tan IV skintone. The tint was fine for me but it left behind an oily residue. Most of all it did nothing to prevent UV tanning and I ended up with lots of pigmentation marks. I no longer wear sunscreen without at least 5% zinc oxide, but the challenge is finding one that does not leave a white cast.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I am a South Asian woman and most sunscreens gave me an ashy gray skin tone. This is the one and only sunscreen that does not do that! My must have !

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my errands and gym sunscreen. Perfect with lightly filled brows and a tinted lip balm. The tint in this won't take down major redness or cover any huge imperfections, but kind of takes the edge off a bit of a bare face. Goes on feeling a tad greasy but sets nicely, also hasn't broken me out. One lippie off for the fact that if you inspect closely, you can see streaks on sunscreen on your face if you didn't really work it in, which seems a little high maintenance for pretty much nonexistent coverage.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I had the light, un-tinted Anthelios fluid for holiday, so when I ran out of my Clarins UVHP+ BB I thought as this was half the price I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately, I think I was expecting too much in terms of coverage.
On the plus side the last Anthelios I had gave excellent SPF protection, really great, so whilst it's UK winter and I can't comment on that factor in this review, I've no doubt this is similar. On the down side, the colour is a very strange sandy one on my fair skin, any coverage (very light to none) doesn't last, and I get very oily by mid-day from this. It has also clogged my pores a little which I experienced with the other un-tinted Anthelios light.
I'll be going back to the Clarins UVHP+ BB if I can find it anywhere in the UK, as whilst it's too dark for my skin tone really, it gives amazing coverage, keeps my skin radiant all day without making it oily and holds up fairly well on the SPF side.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Provides a nice sheer tint that helps to even out my complexion (NC42). After applying, it gives a satin-matte finish that just becomes really greasy looking at the end of the day.

Makeup does go well over the sunscreen and I like the high SPF factor. But sometimes, even after vigorously shaking, the formula can go on grainy. Also the liquid nature of it can be messy.

Overall, I liked the product but I wouldn't repurchase it; I don't like how there's alcohol in the formula (bad for sensitive skin) and the formula is not matte enough for me.

I bought this based upon various reviews; so far I love it. The tint goes with my NW20 complexion; it makes my combination skin look shiny, but after setting with Bare Escentuals powder foundation (a light dusting ), I'm good to go. I love the fact that I am protecting my skin whilst looking better. I am not sure this will work in colder months because of making me look a little tan,but will see. Actually I have L'Oréal sunscreen for the face with the same active ingredients, and as L'Oréal bought La Roche Posay, doesn't surprise me - that will most likely be my fall/winter protection!