Clinique Instant lift for brows

Clinique Instant lift for brows

3.8

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Not a bad brow product at all! What I like is this can be a multi-use tool. You can (or at least I have) use the light shade to highlight the inner corner of your eye, which makes getting that area more defined (my eyes are small, so even if I use my pinkie finger, sometimes it is 'too much' product, this remedies that). Can also use the darker shade as an eyeliner. Applies smoothly and no tugging. More of a natural look with this, I think. Might be good for beginners. The cap on both ends is secure, yet not hard to put the caps on or remove the caps. Twist-up, so no sharpening required, which is nice.

I bought this after receiving a makeover (my skin changing like crazy lately, pre-menopause, I guess..?!), and am definitely am happy with this purchase. I heavily debated the question 'would you repurchase?' and I came to the conclusion that if I was heavily debating it, then probably would not... But I am happy with it and I think I will definitely get my use out of it!

on 5/6/2016 12:57:00 PM

I have this in '02 Soft Brown' and for me it's pretty much covered what it claims to. This was something of an impulse buy after I lost the entirety of my make-up collection in a house fire (dramatic much?) and I was just looking for something to put my face on with for the immediate future, however I've actually been quite impressed with this and I'm still using it.

The brow colour is a soft taupe based brown when applied with a light hand and builds up easily to much a much bolder darker shade. I've had no problems with oxidising or any orange hues coming through the product which is sometimes a problem with blonde to light brown brow products. When applied with light to medium pressure it looks mostly like a powder but has a more waxy feel, although if you decide to really go for a strong brow and pack it on it will come up looking much more like the wax-type pencil it actually is. The sharp edge of the pencil wears off quite quickly but it does mostly maintain it's shape and you do learn how to work with it. You won't be able to recreate super thin realistic brow hair strokes like with a pencil you sharpen yourself, but this is really good for filling in everything without looking obvious.

I have quite full brows and choose to just shape and extend them a little more and then very lightly fill them in so they're even. I'll admit it took me a few tries to discover the best way of applying this pencil, but I think it looks best when applied lightly and slightly blended out with a finger/spoolie/old toothbrush. I use a few soft strokes at the front of my brows, blend, and then sweep the pencil through the rest. Honestly this definitely looks better applied softly. In my opinion it's made more for fluffy, natural looking brows and not for applying with a lot of pressure. I think applied too heavily this would look waxy and harsh.

As for the highlighter end, I think it runs a tiny bit dark for fair and light ladies, but it's perfect for anyone light-medium and beyond. It's a gold based highlight so would be fine for deeper skin tones without the risk of that 'ashy' effect that silvery highlights can have. I think it looks really pretty and helps you look put together with minimal extra effort. Like the pencil, it's best applied and then tapped in at the edges or you risk an obvious line.

Overall staying power of both sides is pretty decent. Unfortunately it stays much better when applied with more force, so you trade off a little of it's clinging power in order to get the best look. But I still think it stays well throughout the day and is moisture-resistant. It won't stay after a shower but you'd do okay if you get caught in the rain. It doesn't quite meet the 'smudge-proof' claims, as it blends when you're applying it and can be wiped off pretty easily, but honestly I think it does as well as most similar products.

The only negative for me is the packaging. The double ended pencil is great. But for some reason with mine both ends have become loose and at one point the whole stick of highlight fell out. I think this is simply because over the time twisting the automatic pencil loosens everything and I can't think how that would be avoided but I'm not super impressed that this happened.

Overall I would buy this again. It's not quite my very favourite ever simply because of the packaging and because you can't quite imitate drawing on fine brow hairs. However I do think it's very good and matches it's price so it's worth trying out, especially as it's two products in one. I've used this everyday for 6+ months now and I've still got just under a centimeter of brow product left and about a centimeter and a half of highlight.

To Read all 34 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/18/2016 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

If you have thin, patchy brows and you are bad at filling them in, or don't want brows that look really bold or dramatic, this is the product for you. I have this in the lightest shade, even though my hair is a medium brown (fairly dark). This is more of a neutral taupe shade than a light, warm blonde. The texture of the pencil itself is nice too. It's not waxy, hard or dry. It's easy to apply and behaves more like a powder. It seems to be long lasting, although I haven't worn it in extreme heat or humidity yet. I haven't used the highlighter, because brow highlight isn't something I want or need, but overall I'm very impressed with this product. This is the fastest, easiest, most natural-looking fix I have ever tried for my sparse brows. This makes them look done in a normal, polished, non attention-getting way. I will rebuy for sure.

on 3/17/2016 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Unlike many of the other reviewers, I really like the brow part of this, and really dislike the highlighter. I wish you could get just the brow part - the highlighter is way too shimmery and pale for my liking. The brow pencil/crayon is a bit stiff, but I find it applies easily and it lasts well on me. I have the blonde shade, and I have light brown hair, and anything darker would look awful on me. The shade in the stick is misleading - I would never have thought this would work for me, but it's just about perfect. It looked like it would be way too light, and too ashy, but it's great! What I have is a GWP size, and I haven't a clue how old it is because I didn't try it for a long time, convinced it would not be the right shade. Well, I was totally wrong! I would buy this again, but would really like to see clinique ditch the highlighter, and sell just the brow pencil.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

The highlighter was good. The brow pencil part was not so good. Color faded and was hard to apply.

I hate this pencil as strong as I love Clinique's superfine brow liner. I would never have bought this product in the first place, but they didn't have my favorite one, so I had to give it a try.
Pros:
- Double sided liner. Brow pencil and highlighter in one.
- Highlighter side is not bad, it helps sharpen the brows and almost visible (at least on my skin)
Cons:
- Very hard to apply. Lead feels like marble with same capacity of drawing the line. It's nearly impossible to draw something with it (I've tried several pencils, they all were the same)
- you have to press it hard to get some pigment over your skin and then lead crushes.

The worst brow pencil I ever tried.

I am always on the look out for makeup that is compact for travel and easy to use. Wanted something for my brows that didn't require carrying a powder and a brush. Tried the Anastasia brow pen, but that didn't work well at all. Saw this on Paula's site and, Love!

I use soft blonde which, contrary to Paula's assertion, does work well with my light auburn/light brown hair. The package calls it a "crayon," and that's basically what it is - narrow, softer and more waxy than eyebrow pencil. It glides on well, but can make thin wispy lines and avoid harsh edges, easy to blend. Twists out of the tube with a snap on cap to close. Other end of the tube has a champagne-y coloured highlighter which is OK - a bit too shiny and dark for my tastes; I'm more of a Benefit High Beam gal. But it's handy to have one available in the same tube.

Price is kind of high for the amount of product provided, but the convenience/performance is such that I'd repurchase. Have not had problems with it breaking, but I don't twist too much up at a time and always twist it back down into the tube before capping.

on 4/17/2015 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I can't say I am extremely impressed by this. Yes it's very handy you have the highlighter at the other end, and it does give a nice finish, but frankly, you can achieve this even with a shadow these days, without having to pay 16.
I was going for the darkest shade (black/brown) and it's a good job they didn't have it at the counter so I went for shade no. 3, which frankly is dark enough for my colours. I agree with some reviews that it can be too obvious so you need to be light-handed when you apply it.
The highlighter is a nice addition, it does give a lift, but I think you can have a more subtle effect with an eye shadow.
I am not entirely sure if I will actually buy this again, or I'll stick to my Rimmel one which was much cheaper and more subtle...

I just bought this product today and came home now to apply it, first things first it doesn't look like it's going to last very long, the colour is nice but I don't like the texture or the waxy looking build up it gives me and for $38 at Myers it's kinda expensive for a produce that I can only see lasting me 2-3 weeks

on 5/27/2014 8:45:00 PM

I can't say I'd buy it again right away, but it worked great for a recent tropical vacation. I was looking for products to do double-duty if possible, with staying power in hot and humid weather, but natural looking in full sun, so when I saw this at the Clinique counter I was intrigued. And who could resist an instant brown lift? The SA sampled the product on me and I liked how my brows looked very much, and the highlighter made them look brighter and lifted. On the trip, it performed well. My brows didn't slide off or fade away, and looked as natural as I wanted - not too much of a made up look, so I was very pleased. The colour was perfect - not too grey or taupe-y, but very natural colour. The highlighter was easy to swipe on - I also used it in the inside corners of my eyes, so it was great for quickly doing that too - and overall this complimented a minimal makeup look while adding a pretty glow. (posted a few pix) However since being home and I've noticed a few things that make it less than amazing overall.

The brow crayon slipped out of the tube and fell on the carpet. I was taken back by how short it was - this is not going to be a long lasting product. I wiped it off and I popped it back in, but ew. The crayon is on the thick side and wobbles a bit in the tube, so it's hard to get fine strokes, or finesse a light application. And the highlighter crayon applies kind of dry and obvious, so it has to be blended with a fair amount of pressure, which I don't need to put my eye lids through. Today I skipped it in favour of my Anastasia brow makeup - not sure why, except I think under florescent lighting (instead of gorgeous Hawaii lighting!) I wasn't happy with the look as much - maybe it's just me.

However if I was heading back out on trip, I'd grab this item for it's staying power, and dual functionality but as an everyday use item I may not repurchase, it's not a good enough value.

Popular Brows Products