Japonesque Retractable Lip Brush

4.4

on 5/28/2016 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love retractable lip brushes. This lip brush from Japonesque is designed well. It's elegant and functional. I have the one from Real Techniques but unfortunately it has a separate cap that falls off in my purse, so I can only use it at home.

When you pull open the Japonesque brush, the synthetic brush head pops out, and when you push it closed, a little round door closes over the bristles to protect them in your bag. It's cleverly self-contained.

If you're wearing a nude or a pale lip color, you probably do not need a brush at all and can apply lipstick straight from the bullet. But with dark colors, using a brush gives you a more polished and sophisticated look. The brush head is long and somewhat squared off. In my experience, this shape is very good for precision, especially when using deep shades such as bright red and dark burgundy, which are notoriously unforgiving colors if you make a mistake. Some of the lip palettes I've owned over the years did not include a brush, so I like to have a good portable brush.

I have Cinema Secrets brush cleaner, which dissolves anything, but in a pinch, regular liquid hand soap works, too. Because the bristles are synthetic, they dry quickly.

While most lip brushes seem to come in black cases, this one is silver and that makes it easier for me to find when rummaging in my purse. The brushed finish does not show fingerprints.

I paid $14.50 for this brush at Ulta, and I feel that it is reasonably priced compared to other lip brushes on the market. I like the sleek design. It's sturdy enough to tote in a bag, and it's less expensive than department store lip brushes. (It is more expensive than the Real Techniques lip brush, but as I mentioned, the design of the Real Techniques lip brush is not as travel-friendly.)

I would definitely buy again. In fact, I plan to buy a couple of back-ups.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse

Very good value for money, fantastic for travel. The brush retracts and a little cover slides over the hole, no worry about losing a cover. When you want the brush to become available, just give a tiny push and it comes out of its hiding place...Pure genius! The brush is extremely fine tipped, I use it for spot coverage of freckles, discolorations, even tiny spider veins. You could even use it to cover just the specific area the size of an "o", that's how accurate it is. I have 3 of them, one for undereye shadow coverage, another for spot dabbing my La Mer crème foundation (see my review) onto spots, and a 3rd one in case (God forbid!) they ever stop making it.

To Read all 5 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my first Japonesque brush purchase. I really love this brush. My lipstick application is is very even and I love the fact that the brush retracts so that I can carry it with me. I would definitely would purchase again.

on 4/4/2010 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love this, with only one small complaint. The size of the brush is a little long when extended out, and it feels like I don't have great control. But, as the reviewer previous to me said, it allows me to very precisely line and fill, which I love. I love the packaging, and the squared shape so it doesn't roll. This is my first Japonesque brush, and I would repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I'm on the fence with this. It's very convenient and small, perfect for travel. The small brush is made of synthetic fibres which should allow for a rich colour deposit, but it's unfortunately not the case. I have to really pack on the colour on the brush to get a good deposit. For me, it's just easier to directly apply my lipstick directly. However, where this brush really stands out is in how fine a line it can create. If I want to put my lipstick on closer to the edge of my lipliner, this makes it a piece of cake! If I want to correct a line or perfect it, this does the trick! I probably won't buy it again if something happens to it, but it serves my purposes well.

Popular Makeup Brushes