AVEDA Salon Hair coloring

No Image

2.8

on 4/18/2019 10:22:00 PM

I stumbled upon this site after spending a good part of the last year with hair that is suffering — and all this time I never in a million years thought it could be the Aveda color itself that was causing it!!

All my life my hair has been — as my mother called it — my crowning glory, but after a year with Aveda, it exhibits all of the issues that people have mentioned here: straw-like, breaking off, dry, weak, thin. I thought it was my health or the water or something else.... but it all makes sense now, it started when I switched to Aveda!!

Ugh. Even my hair that’s not even at my chin is severely damaged. It’s going to take a couple of years to get back to my long, luscious locks. I feel betrayed :(

on 3/19/2019 2:41:00 PM

I disagree with the person who suggested that all negative Aveda reviews were written by the same reviewer. I am my own person - loved my local Aveda salon and stuck with it for 3 years before finally conceding that the color had destroyed my hair. I stuck with it, I really did! First my scalp would itch like CRAZY and I'd get sores; I thought I was getting acne or something until I read other, similar reviews). Next, my hair started falling out. Not clumps, just a LOT of hair each time I'd wash or brush my hair. I stubbornly blamed it on pre-menopause. Finally, it just became SO dry, like straw.

I eventually had to admit the Aveda color was just bad for my hair. I know it's not the case with everyone but that was my true experience.

on 3/16/2019 11:38:00 AM

Hair color damages my hair every single time. I only have this experience with Aveda color. Hair breaks at scalp and frays horribly. I won't wash it for 2 days, and it will still break all over my head. I've tried Matrix color (with a different person/place), and it's fine. Returned to Aveda because I like my stylist. One session with Aveda and my hair is back to feeling like broken straw. Bad bad bad.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

The UK flagship Holborn salon is always a joy to visit; it's pleasantly busy, not too overcrowded, well laid out and the staff are always welcoming and friendly, offering delicious teas and hand massages. I really wanted to get on with Aveda colour due to its organic and plant-based properties, yet am going to have to let it go as it's just not delivering the same kind of rich, dimensional colour I had before I used them. My colour constantly looks very flat; you can hardly see it (I paid £135!) and unfortunately I have lost a lot of hair since using them. Checking old photos I noticed my old hair colour was way more rich-looking, dynamic, alive, layered and dimensional, and since using Aveda, it has turned to straw with a colour that resembles dirty dish water. :(

on 7/22/2018 9:11:00 AM

I just had my hair colored at an Aveda salon three weeks ago. I noticed after washing it that it felt like glue when I applied shampoo. I thought maybe I needed to wash out some of the products the stylist had applied, since she used several products after washing it. It didn't feel great, but I was hopeful that whatever was on it would work its way out. Not so. The next time I washed it, one week later, it felt even more glue-y when wet and was absolutely straw-like after showering. To make matters worse, a TON of hair fell out. I freaked out when I realized that my hair was chemically damaged. Feeling a little better that I'm not the only one who has had these issues, but I will certainly never use Aveda color again. FYI, I've had my hair colored regularly for the last 8 years and NEVER experienced anything like this.

on 6/21/2018 12:40:00 PM

I came to this site because I was looking for some input on some questions I had for a little grey coverage. I started to notice the negative reviews from "different people" were WORD FOR WORD the exact same review. I do love Aveda. Its great & makes my hair feel amazing. Beware of fake reviews. Never had my scalp "burn" for weeks. What a joke. I dont work for Aveda. Im a REAL PERSON who is not an idiot when they see fake reviews.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

My sister recommended the Aveda hair colour salon in our town. I have fine healthy hair with no grey and I am 64. My hair is long. My hair has never been the same since the salon visit. From the very first time I washed it after the initial blonding it felt coated. It began falling out almost immediately, especially after I washed it. I had it coloured a year and a half ago and my hair actually matts when I wash it. The hair shaft is thin thin thin almost like the product ate it. It is dry dry dry and no amount of conditioner is helping. If I gently tug my hair several hairs will fall out. Hair everywhere.

I will never ever use this product on my hair again. I will be forever growing it out. My hair actually has the texture of candy floss now. I have no idea what is in this product all I know is it is touted as all natural. I don't know what component is all natural but it caused considerable damage to my hair. I have no idea how a product like this gets on the market.

I will be running back to L'Oreal after this like my hair is on fire..........literally!

on 8/26/2017 1:57:00 PM

8-26-2017
Hey all- heads up (no pun intended): L'Oreal has always been my color. No issues whatsoever with L'Oreal on my hair; how long it lasts, (very well), or the luster it creates. Yesterday however, I went to Aveda for a trim, and thought I'd save time by also getting a root color refresh. Aveda said color should remain on for 30 minutes. Within 10 minutes after application, close to 👉extreme burning of my scalp👈 started. As my stylist left the floor during processing, I was on my own. The pain level was right on the brink of me jumping up for color removal, and only slightly subsided at the 30 minute completion point. Although I've got no visible damage to my scalp yet, (20 hours later)---I would NEVER recommend that anyone else even take the chance that they might go through the pain that I felt trying Aveda hair color, (and believe me, I'm no Sissy Chick:). Consider yourself advised!
Hope that helps.

on 7/24/2017 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

7 years ago I began getting my greying natural blonde hair dyed a nice coppery red at my local Aveda salon, and while I was happy with the color, it seemed to fade pretty fast -- the stylist told me this had to do with my hair porosity. It was pretty expensive to keep up, but I stayed on until that stylist left, then switched to a non-Aveda salon which also used organic hair color which -- hallelujah! -- persisted much better. Fast forward 5 years to spring 2017: my "new" stylist has moved, so it has been several months since my hair was last color-treated. I return to Aveda for a roots touch-up with a stylist I trust, and my scalp burns for weeks!! She cannot explain it, but says some people just have sensitive scalps. That may be the case, but something has changed in the past 5 years, and I don't think it's my scalp. Too bad, because this experience, combined with the exorbitant prices (especially when my favorite was promoted to master stylist), has driven me away from Aveda salons for the second and probably final time.

Starting 7 years ago I began getting my greying natural blonde hair dyed a nice coppery red at my local Aveda salon, and was happy with the color and the experience, except that the color seemed to wash out pretty fast -- the stylist told me this had to do with my hair porosity and I accepted that explanation, as I didn't know any better. It was pretty expensive to keep it up, but i liked it enough to continue until that stylist left and I then found a non-Aveda salon which, to my delight, also provided organic hair color which persisted much better. Fast forward 6 years: my stylist isn't working out anymore, so I return to Aveda for a roots touch-up with a stylist I trust, and my scalp burns, for weeks!! Giving Aveda the benefit of the doubt, I ask my stylist about this next time I'm in, and she cannot explain it, only attributes it to some people (including one of their own Aveda stylists who also cannot tolerate it) being more sensitive -- quite rightly, she says she will not apply this to my hair again. Something has changed in the past 5 or 6 years, and I don't think it's my scalp. Too bad, because this experience, combined with the exorbitant prices (especially when my favorite was promoted to master stylist) are driving me away from Aveda salons for the second and probably final time.