Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

4.3

Peeling Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 8/16/11

on 6/9/2012 12:33:00 PM

This did not work for my skin. It made me break out with cystic acne and now I am left with about 6 acne marks/scars on my face. In which I am now trying to fade with no luck.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I started using MUAC 30% Glycolic Acid peels after a life-time of disappointment in acne treatment.

I've used dozens of skin care lines, OCM, Retin-A in cream and gel form, internal suppliments, professional facials (sometimes with peels), anti-biotics, and sulphur masks.

[Mini Rant/Word to the wise: Research your actives before plunking down an obscene amount of money for a product. If a ingredient is not in the INCI, then it's likely marketing maurading around in a lab coat. Also, I don't trust research that isn't peer reviewed, or is sponsored by the company hawking the product.]

My skin before I started using the peel:

Oily
Active acne that wouldn't budge. I've had some of these spots for YEARS.
Lots of scars
Sallow complexion
Lots of huge pores

I started using the peel once a week, each week adding a minute until I hit the max reccomended time.

I've been using this peel now for about 8 weeks, and have noticed a dramatic improvement. The first couple of weeks I still had active acne, but my complexion looked almost dewy and I noticed a few shallow lines start to disappear.

By week 3 a noticable decrease in active acne was noted, and my pores had started to become less noticable.

Week 8 was during my cycle and instead of the vicious breakout that signals the start of my period, I only had THREE! count them THREE! smallish pimples that cleared up in a couple of days. I'm so happy I could tap dance!

Sometimes I will be a teeny bit pink and tender the day after I peel, but nothing serious. I also have not experienced any visable peeling (which I wasn't expecting since this particular peel at this strength is considered a chemical exfoliation and not a true skin peel).

This week I did my first TCA 12.5% peel, and I'm waiting for the peeling to finish before I can gauge if there is any initial improvement.

On top of that I've changed my daily routine to:

AM: Skin Actives: Salicylic wash (very gentle) Vitamin C in the AM, UNT tinted sunscreen
PM: Skin Actives Salicylic wash, and "Let's Make Collegen" serum

I still have damage to repair, but my active acne has slowed down to a couple of minor pimples per month and clear up quickly, and the fine lines I was starting to see are slowly vanishing. I can live with that!

A word of caution. I've seen a lot of folks on the internet saying they started bang out the gate with 50% Glycolic or 30% TCA with no former peel experince, and seemingly very little knowlege about the chemistry of their skin, the mechanism of what they are doing, or why a chemical peel is able to do what it does.

Please do your research.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and a current chem student, which gives me a bit of a unique perspective. When done properly, there is no reason why anyone (who's skin condition is suitable for this treatment) can't benefit from doing a home chemical peel.

Do a skin test prior to any unknown peel type (this includes changing brands), or change in strength. If I have a bad reaction to XYZ peel type/brand at 8%; I can't imagine what it would be at 18%.

Increase the strength of your peels SLOWLY, and be sure to use sunscreen every single day - whether you leave the house or not.

on 4/2/2012 5:27:00 PM

After having this done in a salon as a birthday treat to myself last year I went online looking for more information and found the at home peel. After reading all of the reviews I decided to give it a shot. I'm on week 5 and decided to write this review after a slight reaction. Weeks 1-4 were fine and I usually went a minute or two longer. The tingling is what I'd call a cool stinging sensation and not painful. I just fan myself with a magazine for a little cool air. About day 2 after each application my skin starts to 'purge' (nothing major just some blemishes) but then clears up within a day leaving my skin feeling nice and I think it looks 'fresher'. Week 5 I got brave and went right from 8 minutes to 12. 2 days go by and I wake up with little bumps scattered across my cheeks and forehead. They were so small you couldn't even see them unless you were staring at my face 2 inches away (which I made my husband do). They did not itch and were not red or painful, I just learned my lesson, skipped this week and will resume at the 8 minute mark next week. Will withhold final Overall Rating until I'm done with sample size.

on 1/22/2012 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

After always reading reviews before to make any cosmetic purchase I feel I do have to let others know about my experience. I am just saying that because is my first time making a product review and I hope it will help anybody on making the decision on getting the product or no. I am on my lates 20'. I do suffer from ocassional acne, which is good for me after what I had to go through when I was 23, my face was full of blemishes that left my face with scars. I do not count with the money to have expensives treatment that may or may not work on me, however after reading the reviews for this chemical peels I decided to give it a try and so far so good. I am on my forth week, I did the test pach the morning I got the peel, which was very fast shipping! And the same night after not getting any skin reaction I applied it all over my face for a minute and half. It sting just a little and I neutralize it with just water. The day after I did not see much of a difference just I notice my face was a little more moisture. The second week I left the peel for four minutes and the next day same result. On the third week I left it for six minutes, I applied a lot more of the peel, next day my skin was glowing, my discolorations seems to be less noticeable because concealer make them almos gone. I am very positive that by the eight week this percentage of glycolic will make my skin look more even. I will update. When I finish with it I want to go for the lactic acid 55% to finally see what happen with the tca 12.5%. If you want to ask me I am going with it just let me know.

on 10/20/2011 10:07:00 PM

I bought the MUAC 40% Lactic acid, the 30% Glycolic and the 15% Salycilic and I rotate among the three.
I believe so far this one has improved the texture and evenness of my skin. Although my main problem are blackheads and sunspots and it is too soon to see any improvements in this area, I am hopeful.
It burns slightly when applied but I feel very safe using it. I started leaving it on for 1 minute and built it up to 6 minutes now.
I believe the sample size bottle is enough for over ten applications which makes this product very cost effective.
Muac customer service is also outstanding, they helped me with all the questions I had before ordering and before using their products.
I recommend and definitely would purchase again.

I ordered a few peels from MAUA over the past year and have had great results with this one controlling my hyper pigmented, acne prone, blotchy uneven skin. For years I have been striving for skin perfection using any and every product from Sephora down to Wal-Mart.
When you try this peel @ 30% concentration only use it once a week. I got a little crazy over the past few weeks and was using it 2-3 times a week and my skin looked as if I had truly suffered a major chemical burn along my jawline. I have been using the MUAC Pomegranate Green Tea Cleanser and Toner, followed by the MUAC Argan Oil. These have helped soothe my skin back into normalcy.
I would also recommend using it as a spot treatment more frequently in tiny areas in between peels to really lift the layers of skin in that area causing trouble.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

During my high school years, I totally suffered from deep, underground, cystic acne. It made my life a living hell. Well, not really, but I was SO embarassed of it! The trials and tribulations of suffering with acne in high school is absolutely the main reason why I am so obsessed with makeup and skincare today. Well, high school came and went, and so did my acne... but I was left with not-so-even, blotchy skin with all different kinds of scars. I have ALWAYS had to wear foundation. I mean, I won't even get the mail without putting on "my face". It sucks!

I personally do not have the money to spend to go to a doctor to get professional glycolic peels and laser treatments. So I searched up and down for something that would help fade the scars and get rid of the blotchiness. I've even accepted the fact that I'll probably never NOT wear makeup at all, but I would LOVE to get away with just a tinted moisturizer!
When I found the MUAC site, I was STOKED. All these amazing products, and for so cheap! I bought a 2oz size of the 30% glycolic peel kit.

Let me start by saying that you do NOT want to leave this stuff on longer than it's directed. My friends and I got a little too tipsy one "peel party" night and she DEMANDED to leave it on for 30 minutes instead of the normal 10 we usually do. Well, her face freaked out and she had little red bumps all over for like a week. She never did it again.

If you follow the directions, make sure your skin is absolutely clean and dry before you use it, and use the proper products after, then this stuff CAN and WILL make a difference!

My pores appear so much smaller, the blotchiness has faded by a LOt, I have virtually ZERO freckles, the fine lines around my mouth from smiling are gone, and little by little it has totally helped to smoothen out even the deeper scars on my face. I don't even really notice them when I look in the mirror anymore. (I've done about 10-12 peels over the course of a year.) I'm totally happy and I plan to keep on using this for a long time. It won't melt your face off with one use, so don't expect it to get rid of ice pick scars overnight. You might not even really peel that much. I don't, but I attribute that to the fact that I have pretty oily skin still. If I do peel, it's generally like 2 days after the treatment, and it's about the same as having flaky dry skin for a day. During that time, you DO NOT want to pick at it. That's like, bringing you back to ground zero. Don't use anything abrasive on your face, let it fall off naturally. When I do the peel, I do it when I won't have to apply makeup for at least a few hours.

A little note, I started with the 30% peel, and have been at that level for this past year. I still feel the tingly burning so I know it's working, but I'm thinking pretty soon I'll jump it up to the next level and see if that does anything dramatic.

All in all, this stuff is amazing. It definitely doesn't smell all that great, but it works, and I'm really loving the results over time. Especially for the price! I still have half a bottle and my friends tap into it whenever they can get their grimy hands on it. I'm thinking maybe I should start charging, ha!

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE BEFORE/AFTER PICS PLEEEEEEEEASE LET ME SEE! I took some but then I lost my phone before I backed it up, so I lost all my pics. I'd love to hear from you pretty girls ! <3 Thanks and good luck!

So I've been struggling with acne for as long as I can remember. I saw a couple dermatologists and nothing they ever gave me to take or put on my skin helped. Most time it actually made it worse! So a friend of my husbands married a dermatologist, she recommended that I buy a G peel off line and use it. She suggested the 60% for my skin (my skin was horrible could not put a finger on my skin with out touching a pimple) Also suggested that I may be allergic to salicylic acid. So I'm using Cetaphil soap cause it so gentle. The first time she showed me how to apply it (the peel), then I took over from then on. The first time I did it it didn't burn or anything. Then after my skin I broke out even more. Then for 2 months I did a peel every 2 weeks. As i did the peels I only saw minimal peeling, every time I would do a peel it would pull out everything in my skin (seemed a never ending) bringing everything to a head. Sometimes scabbing over. But slowly my skin is healing and clearing. Now 4 months later i do one peel a month and my skin is all most completely clear (to me its beautiful because of how it was before) Also every time I did it I would leave it on for 6 mins, after the first time it did start burning you want to scratch your skin! Then I'd wash off with my soap. It was trying, a lot of days not aloud to wear makeup, with a red face, of peeling skin... But for me it was worth it.
*** I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND USING THE 60% UNLESS DIRECTED BY A DOCTOR, AS I WAS.***
If the products your using dont work or make it worse you may consider you may be allergic. I would reccomend the Cetaphil! Just because you have acne doesn't mean only "acne products" will work.

on 3/21/2011 7:23:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Glycolic Peel is the best for treating mild to moderate acne, rejuvenating skin and reducing under eye circles!!
I had been going through a stressful time and a messy sleeping schedule due to which I got mild acne on my cheeks! it started about 6 months back after which i decided to get it treated...i consulted a dermatologist and she recommended that i should get about 6-8 sessions of this peel! though here it says that it's a home kit but i was really skeptical to purchase and use it myself since it was the first time i ever heard of a chemical peel! Which is why i decided to get it treated and it wasn't that costly! I am done with 5 sessions (have one more to go)... this peel is awesome! not only does it give you fresh youthful glow but also treats acne and acne scars very well....the pimples are gone and now i am left with few scars! I would strongly recommend everyone to go for this instead of a facial at a salon/spa! And also under the supervision of a dermatologist! usually what they do is increase the concentration each passing session....they start off with 5% and go on till 30% or 50% depending on the skin!

I love this stuff.

For a while I was paying $$ to have this done at my esthetician's office when I realized I could probably just do it myself. This got me involved in the world of MUAC so be forewarned.

I don't even use it that regularly but I still get great results. It doesn't burn too much, I just fan myself while I wait. Only once did I burn myself around my nose but that was my fault for trying to blast my pores off my face.

Don't do it the day you're going out, do it about 2-3 days before and you'll be looking fresh faced. I also moisturize like the devil right after, something like emu or argan oil. It's sometimes a little itchy but moisturizing definitely helps. Also, I don't use any retinol products for 24 hours before or after... I made that up myself so I have no idea if you need to do that or not.

My only complaint is that I ran out of neutralizer before I ran out of the peel.