NARS Ita Brush

4.6

on 5/18/2015 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This review is for the long handled version of Ita. Yes this is a beautiful brush and is very finely made, as are all the Japanese brushes, however do I consider this an essential ? Absolutely not, I bought this for the Kevyn Aucoin contour powder and this brush picks up way too much powder, hence I am wasting this very expensive make up item. I tried it with the Nars Dual Intensity blush, I liberally misted the brush with water and it worked very nicely, using dry with the same blush not so much. I will continue to use the Ita for the wet application of the Dual blushesI but I don't think this is going to really make much of an in road in my already bloated brush collection. I bought mine on Ebay for $26 and this is well crafted however at the $55 retail price it is really really overpriced. So far my favorite brush for contour is the Wayne Goss #2 brush which is sold on Beatylish.com. Happy contouring !

So I have been thinking about purchasing this brush over and over again over the years. I did not want to spend 50 (inc.P&P) on a brush. However it made me throw away all my other contour brushes. This is great for contouring, it takes it to a whole new level!

And some people say it's for professional people who do contouring however I think this is best for beginners as it gives you a precise line to work with and you do not have to worry about nothing.

One thing that annoyed me is that the bristles shed a little bit but have stopped after a few washes. Overall I'd say this is a bit expensive but worth the money and the hype!

on 2/15/2015 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I purchased the Ita brush after watching a ton of youtube reviews on it (I have the long handled one). I was looking to find a new contour brush that was precise, thin, and slightly more dense to use with some of my less pigmented contour powders in order to get better color pickup (basically the opposite of my fluffier contour brushes which are good for dark contours bc they don't pick up a ton of color)... I have to say, the Ita from NARS definitely does not disappoint!

This brush makes contouring a total no-brainer; due to its flat shape and thin style its virtually mistake proof and you will always get an even line. If you over contour (IE pick up too much color), its super easy to buff it out and away simply by wiggling it in an up and down motion. I love the thin body of this brush which for whatever reason makes application easier as well. This isn't the softest brush around IMO (its Goat hair) but that's what I was looking for in this, so that's definitely not a con for me.

This is a very unique brush and no other brush out there performs the same - I have tried a couple of the so-called dupes for this (Everyday Minerals Itahake, the brushes that come in Benefit blushes and the "throw away" brushes that come with most blushes) but they don't even come close. While some may find this pricy (think it was $55) its worth the investment trust me!

on 1/15/2015 3:14:00 PM

I bought this recently and have used it a few times. I have not had any problems with shedding as this is a common complaint people have with this brush. It is really easy to contour with. It is a cool brush, cool concept. I had been lusting over the brush for the past year until it was recently restocked. I didn't even care about the hefty ($55 USD) price tag. A lot of other similar brushes have come out on the market that are supposed to be dupes, I haven't tried them so I don't know. I have also heard that many people use the benefit (hoola or other brushes from the boxed blush or bronzers) and that is suposed to be similar just with a shorter handle. I looked at the brush that came with my benefit rockateur blush and it was similar in shape and thickness but I just didn't use it to contour. I would not repurchase Ita as it is super expensive and I hope to take care of it and have it last me years like the rest of my brushes. I would recommend if you have the extra dollars to spend and are able to get your hands on it (I have heard it is almost completely sold out again) otherwise find a more inexpensive alternative as they are readily available.

on 11/17/2014 1:48:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This brush is a game changer for contouring. I've held off on contouring for as long as I remember because it seemed complicated, but it seems like every makeup brand is coming out with a coutouring palette so I thought I'd give it a shot after viewing Jaclyn Hill's how-to vlog (not affiliated) using the Ita brush.

The Ita makes contouring a breeze. Is it a must-have? I'm sure a similarly shaped brush would get the job done just as well, but the bristles on this brush are dense and soft and make blending easy-peasy. I bought mine during a F&F sale so the extra 20% off made it more affordable.

I have the newer long-handled version of this brush, although I'm sure a shorter handle wouldn't hurt its utility. At first it seemed a little delicate since the long handle is attached with what seems to be two strands of string, but it's actually quite sturdy. The only thing I would change is I'd like a handle made of a lacquered wood instead of rubber, because it's a lint magnet and will show every smudge and fingerprint.

Right now I'm using my Ita with the Sleek FaceForm contour palette, but I'm looking forward to trying other contouring products with this brush. I also own the NARS Yachiyo brush and it's held up really well, so I think the Ita will also be worth the investment.

If it matters to you, my Ita brush was made in China.

on 8/29/2014 2:18:00 AM

Absolutely a dream to use when it comes to contouring my cheekbones. However, excess powder and dust stick to the rubberized handle like crazy, so I wiped the crazy coating off with alcohol (the handle is now a shiny black)

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I've contoured with many brushes saying that "this brush does this..that brush contours like that"....etc, etc, etc.. and honestly having paid almost $60 bucks (including tax) for this brush, I can truly say that this brush does it all. It helps contour with such ease and precision that it's impossible to make a mistake with this brush. I'm talking about the smaller ita brush of course (the 21) and it makes contouring such a breeze. I bought a dupe of this brush that looks/feels almost identical to the real authentic nars ita brush and I have to say that both do the job extremely well. If you can buy a dupe of this brush out there somewhere, I'd suggest buying it because $60 bucks is a lot to pay for a single brush, but just like pokemon...I gotta have them all...pertaining to brushes of course...so yes, if your wallet can afford it then definitely splurge on this brush because you won't regret it. It's absolutely fantastic and makes contouring so easy. With this brush you can easily achieve a sharp contour or a nice bronzed look.

No way...I can't believe I paid so much for this...Buy E.L.F because worth it.

on 7/17/2014 2:43:00 PM

This brush is VERY pricey. From what i understand it used to be cheaper (Around $35) i paid $55 for it, but it was worth it. I've tried to contour for years and i never could get the look. I received this brush and watched Jaclyn Hill's video on how to contour (i'll put the link to her video below)
And i totally have a sculpted cheek now.
I just wish i wouldn't have wasted my money on all the other brushes that didn't help me contour.
I absolutely love this brush.

on 7/7/2014 8:58:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I always sort of knew I didn't *really* understand contouring. Like, I've contoured hundreds of times, but it never really felt right. It doesn't help that I am super fair and the tiniest bit of contour on me can look crazy. Well, when I saw the advertising for this brush, and the dozens of good reviews, it took about 3 minutes for me to purchase this thinking maybe it would make things right. I underestimated just how easy application is with this brush, and how perfect the results are. It's designed in such a lovely shape that it kind of just fits where it should go, and voila. Perfectly defined cheekbones. Oh, and a defined jawline. And shaded sides of the face and forehead. It's also small enough (if you kind of squish the bristles together) to do the nose as well. It's easy to blend with, but it's not always totally necessary because the bristles deposit just the right amount of pigment while blending simultaneously. Magic.

Video Reviews & Tutorials