April 21, 2014 | 1878 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Casting Creme Gloss

rated 2 of 5 on 2/17/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by Markella1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got one of the "Glossy blondes" series, number 1021 "light pearl blonde". It claims to be particularly good at getting rid of yellow tones in your hair and adding shine.This made my roots quite golden! :( Not full-on yellow, but definitely far from ashy.

My natural hair colour is a medium dirty blonde which lightens very easily and i never had to use bleach to lighten it. Hair dyes do the job just fine at lifting my roots, and my hair doesn't turn yellow easily. This was pretty dissapointing.
I would even have prefered it if it didn't lift the colour of my roots as much, AS LONG as the results were ashy! But no!
On the positive side, it smelled quite pleasant, didn't make my scalp itchy at all, it left my hair soft and the lengths are quite shiny. But all that is useless if the colour is so off! To anyone who's looking for a trully ashy blonde i recommend Garnier colour sensation 111. It's half the price and the only dye that makes my hair as ashy as i like it to be. I don't know why i risked it in the first place. The girl's hair on the packaging looked lovely, so i bought it like an idiot.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by alicja86

this review is for iced mocha and iced latte shades. i have used both on different strands to give my hair a bit of depth.

i would not recommend it as it ruined my hair. the colours are much darker from what was shown on the box with no shine to it at all.

it left ashy undertones on some hair and gold undertones on the roots.

i went to my hairdressers today and she said that she had never seen my hair to be this dehydrated ! she recommended to wait for couple of weeks before she does anything to fix it.

also, this dye is permanent not semi-permanent as it says on the box, it will take ages for it to fade away..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2013 8:40:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

I just moved over to Naturtint permanent hair colour, having had bad experiences from mainstream permanent home hair colour including severe dryness and hair loss. I used to use Casting occasionally when I was younger to jazz up my dark brown hair and as it doesn't contain ammonia (but it still contains resorcinol) I thought I'd give it a whirl before finding Naturtint. I realise Casting is semi-permanent, as it fades out over up to 28 washes but it claims to cover up to 50% grey and as I have considerably less grey than that I thought I'd try it anyway. Using the medium brown, I noticed it came out considerably darker than the box depicts for about three washes then faded somewhat. I also noticed the greys faded considerably within several washes and some greys never took the dye at all, despite me being extremely careful to cover all my hair. My hair felt rough and dry immediately after rinsing thoroughly and had that familiar chemical smell. The conditioner is lovely though and my hair felt full of body afterwards. To summarise, I would only use this very occasionally if it was on special offer and even then only if I had no grey to cover.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/25/2013 4:48:00 PM More reviews by eyelinerjunkie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this in Plum to basically replace the brown undertones in my hair with purple ones. From looking on the back of the box I thought that it would be perfect. WRONG! I left it on for the required time (20 minutes I think...) and after a good 10 minutes of trying to wash it out with cold water I put on the conditioner. This was the only part of the experience which I enjoyed. The conditioner is strongly scented and made my hair feel soft.

On the other hand the dye was an ongoing unpleasant experience. Firstly - hydrogen peroxide. Not what I was expecting from a semi-permanent dye. Maybe I was just misinformed but I didn't realise this before I bought and used it. Not ideal but my hair feels no worse for wear. Secondly - colour running. As I said not only did it take unusually long for the colour to even run pink after the initial dye but I was washing pink water out of my hair for over two weeks! The resultant colour wasn't even noticeable enough to have justified using the dye in the first place.

It WAS a shiny extremely dark black-purple which I was ok with. It was by no means what the box had promised but it was acceptable. But after a few conditions (I don't wash with shampoo) it's pretty much back to where I started. A month later and now only in direct sunlight can you tell that purple dye and I had ever come into contact. In a sense I wish that I had the same problem of longevity that others complained about!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2013 6:40:00 AM More reviews by Tara134

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It's an amazing product if you want to go darker but it is not semi-permanent. I used Golwell's color remover three times in a week and I couldn't get it to lighten shade 323 to a level 5 or even 4! My natural hair is a level 6 (very ashy) and at first I tried their level 6 -various shades- just to give a bit of wamth and cover my very few greys. Their level 6 shades don't work on level 6 hair and do not cover grey. Then I tried level 5 but it only darkened my natural without covering the grey. Then I went straight to level 3 which totally and completely covered up everything. Since then I have black hair with a hint of red and lighter roots. I will probably need to have it professionally stripped and then go back to level 6. So, I'd say that their darker shades are permanent and their lighter are probably not that good. At least it didn't fry my hair. Could have been a lot worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2013 8:27:00 PM More reviews by kittenstein

I was really happily surprised with this product. I had dull mousy brown hair and this added a nice rich colour to it! Not to mention it feels so soft after using the conditioner! Feels just like i've had it done at the hairdressers. I after applying the product to my hair I left it on for only around 10 minutes as I was scared it was going to turn black but it came out really nicely. I used the colour Praline brown and would use it again, i'm excited to try out other colours in the future after this experience.

I would recommend this to anyone, but just make sure you are only going a similar colour to your own to avoid mishaps.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2013 12:16:00 AM More reviews by HotPozzum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My go-to hair dye. I have been using this pretty much ever since it was released! I am naturally mousey-brown and I tend to use any of the browns - light, medium, dark, chestnut etc. I have not tried any of the vivid reds/blondes or blacks so not sure how they turn out. Mine always turns out perfect, shiny, healthy with nice long-lasting results. Looks very natural and seems to last a few months each time. I think it doesn't really "wash out" so would warn others against expecting this. The box also recommends you pick a colour lighter if you are undecided as it's usually a little bit dark for the first week or so. I don't mind this but others may. It smells good and the conditioner is wonderful. Gloves are crappy and the texture could be a little bit thicker but I have learnt to deal with this. Box turns into handy stand for the dye whilst you are using it and instructions are clear with pictures. If you are looking for a long lasting hair dye to enhance your natural colour then I would recommend this.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2013 8:47:00 AM More reviews by LaOreja

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Please be aware this hair dye does not wash out over time and I would not really describe it as a semi-permanent. I have not dyed my hair for nearly a year as I wanted to return to my natural colour, but the hair previously dyed with this remains almost the same colour as when I originally dyed it. I used the dark brown shade (perhaps lighter shades are different) and I think it's a bit misleading that this is described as semi permanent. Just be aware of this if you are planning to use it. Apart from that it is a good dye and I was happy with the colour/application etc .

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2013 2:36:00 PM More reviews by kiki725

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I dye my hair an awful lot and recently i have started to use semi-permanent dyes again. I have used loreal casting creme gloss before and i was quite happy so i opted for it again. I had been dying my hair a light blonde colour but i fancied a change so i chose the chocolate caramel colour as it looked nice and rich with a bit of a reddish hint.

Now, as i said i have used LCCG before and the colour i use to call my 'go to' colour is much darker than this colour so i thought it would be ok. WRONG. This shade turned out super dark, almost black at the ends - i do dye my hair often and i never just do my roots and the spread the product through the rest of my hair so i do have colour build up at the ends - so not a good look for me as i'm quite pale. The next morning i had to wash my hair 3 times with anti-dandruff shampoo as i have read it can lighten hair colour - it did help, but i'm still really dark brown.

Now (about a week later) my hair is lighter but there is no red hint and it is still harder than the colour on the box.

I also know, from experience, that this won't wash out.

Would i buy the product again? Maybe, but only for lighter shades. In furture i will leave dark shades to the hairdressers.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/1/2013 9:32:00 PM More reviews by JennyBean13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've used this hair dye twice - in Black Cherry and Plum. I found both to be nice shades, just a bit darker than on the box. Easy to apply, nice smell, not messy, conditioner is great. My hair felt healthy and looked shiny. However this will not wash out. After months, black cherry was still very much in my hair. I didn't really mind but a lot of people would.

So yeah, nice product, but it's not a godsend.