L'Oreal Casting Creme Gloss

3.4

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a great dye, but you do need to be very careful how to use it to obtain a good result

First off, it is not a semi-permanent dye. Lasting 28 shampoos and using a peroxide-containing developer means it is a demi-permanent along with things like L'oreal dia richesse, Garnier herbashine, Ion etc
Because it is a demi-permanent, it may never 100% wash out of some hair types

Secondly, it seems the results also depend on the porosity and prior treatment of the hair

This review is for PLUM and DARKEST BROWN (300)

The status of my hair before colouring was this - 24" long, 0.5" of virgin roots in dark ash brown, 12" of brown-black (1c-2) previously coloured hair, and 12" of darkestbrown (2) hair with some old highlights (4). (I did not properly consider the porosity of the ends, given some parts have been bleached, keratin treatments etc)

I wanted to fix my roots, and colour the lengths of my hair a dark muted purple. Shade 200, ebony black was the perfect colour for my roots but given that apparently this dye tends to come out darker than the box, I went for 300, darkest brown

Given I'd be applying 2 different colours, one of them would need to be on longer. I decided to let the purple be the one to go on first, thinking if left longer it would just stay purple, rather than leaving the dark brown on longer, as there were reports of going black.

The scent of the colour is pleasant, there is a lot of it, and it's not hard to apply. No burning of scalp or eyes, being an ammonia free colour. It does make the hair very tangled though, so it's hard to comb though. I did the lengths of my hair in PLUM first, timing the application over 12" of hair to (in theory) get an ombre effect. Then I put the dark brown on my virgin roots and let it sit an entire 25 mins (instructions said 20)

As I started washing it out, I was amazed at how silky my hair felt - even before conditioner!

The results were
Colour -
300 darkest brown, for 25 mins, on virgin roots, came out slightly darker than the box but only very slightly. Which was great, because that's what I wanted. It definitely isn't black. Next time I will go for the 200 ebony black and leave it for 15-20
however...
PLUM, used on my previously coloured, older ends came out....BLACK. Really black, with a purple undertone visible in the sun. Now they are darker than my roots which is not ideal. So I definitely made the wrong choice in leaving the purple one on longer on my more porous ends!!!
Condition -
WOW. My hair felt amazing after using this...far better than any other dye including ammonia free ones. My ends are usually dry and somewhat strawlike, and frizz after blowdrying. After using the Casting Creme Gloss, they felt soft, silky and didn't frizz at all
My hair was super shiny

So my advice for using this dye is
- Plum is darker than the colour given on the box, and will become super dark if left too long
- hair porosity affects results
- go 1 shade lighter for virgin hair, 2 shades for previously bleached/treated hair, or older hair ends of long hair

I will be using this again to create black-purple ombre extensions

on 1/18/2015 1:01:00 PM

I started dying my hair with casting creme gloss about 1 to 1 and a half year ago, and I was honestly really pleased with the color.

I had really boring kind of dark blonde/ light brown hair, and I was sick of it. So I decided to dye it in the color 600 light brown.. But it wasn't light brown it was DARK BROWN! Not the color on the box at all, but I was happy with it.

I dyed it every 2-3 months for maybe like 8 months, but last summer I stopped (I think it was July) because I wanted to try out the blonde side, but my hairdresser said that my hair would be way to damaged if I didn't let color fade, or "wash it out"

So I waited about a couple of months, and I really wanted to dye it blonde. Until I heard the price.. 3-4.000 DKK (like 600-700 USD)... okay I'm 15, I don't want to spend that much money on hair!

So I decided not to go blonde, but I didn't dye my hair darker instead.

Now about 6 months after I dyed it with casting creme gloss 600, the color is gone.

But because the color is based on red pigments, the reddish glow/sheen is still in my hair when I'm in direct sunlight or in a photo with flash.. IT LOOKS TERRIBLE!!!

I'll insert a picture of my hair when it was freshly colored.

So yeah, the color washes out but you'll have a sheen or a glow in your hair forever (unless you cut it off) from the pigments the color is based on, and it can look quite horrendous

on 11/1/2014 11:01:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I tried shade - darkest brown. I wanted dark brown hair but it was black. But I like it and color is very strong .. its almost passed 2 months but my hair color looks very nice ! I would buy again this color !

on 10/25/2014 5:23:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I tried Shade 3, Darkest Brown.

Firstly, my hair is now Blue-Black. Not brown. Black.

Second of all, this is a PEROXIDE dye. They claim it will wash out in 28 washes, but now that I found out that it has peroxide, it may not actually wash out. Other users have noted that it does not wash out.

So now, I may have to get my blue-black hair stripped professionally.

I am truely, truely shocked by the inaccurate advertising for this product and absolutely outraged

My hair had gone a gross seafoam-y grey after experimenting with purple dye on my platinum blonde hair. I just wanted to get back to a natural blonde shade. I used Casting Creme Gloss in 8304 Sweet Honey and I got a beautiful rich golden blonde color. It looks pretty much like the box, except not quite as warm - but this was because I had a very ashy base. I adore the color and I'm super happy. I will probably continue using this.

One box is enough for my fairly thick and medium long hair.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I recently bought the L'Oreal Paris Casting Creme Gloss in 1021. I applied this to my hair yesterday following the instructions given very closely. Once i had rinsed, conditioned and towel dried my hair I noticed that my hair was much more shiny and soft, although i didn't notice a huge shift in the colour of my hair I'm actually quite pleased with the overall end result.
I would recommend using a leave in conditioner or hair masque once you have towel dried your hair after rinsing it as it definitely helped keep the ends of my hair soft.

on 6/3/2014 6:00:00 PM

I am an iranian/english girl with dark-ish hair and generally dark features. I bought this hair dye a couple of days ago, after wanting to re dye my hair due to a bad dip dye which I had grown to hate.
So far, this product has proven to be dissapointing- the dyeing process was fine, and I had no reactions (I didn't allergy test but I would 100% do so!) The issue is that my hair was previously beautiful, and it was filled with different tones and natural highlights which I adored. The colour on the box appeared to match my hair but to my dismay now that its been dyed, my hair is BLACK. The colour turned out nothing like that on the box and my hair is jet-black. Whatever you do, don't leave this dye on for 20 minutes! Leaving it on for less will achieve a much better results and I'm so upset because I've lost my beautiful hair:(

Furthermore, this stuff does not ever come out even though it says it lasts 28 washes. I've used it before, and seen other reviews, and it does not ever come out. I wouldn't use this brand to achieve dark brown hair, the results are poor and I really dislike my hair at the moment. It's drab and looks like a wig, there are little highlights and I look like a goth. I'm planning on now buying a product to remove this rubbish hair dye. What a waste of money!

My hair does feel soft, but not much softer than before, and although I've got a lot of compliments on my hair I really really hate it. Worst mistake ever!

Positives: soft (ish) hair
Negatives: never comes out, damaging, appears BLACK not dark brown, looks like a wig.

on 2/17/2014 2:22:00 PM

I got one of the "Glossy blondes" series, number 1021 "light pearl blonde". It claims to be particularly good at getting rid of yellow tones in your hair and adding shine.This made my roots quite golden! :( Not full-on yellow, but definitely far from ashy.

My natural hair colour is a medium dirty blonde which lightens very easily and i never had to use bleach to lighten it. Hair dyes do the job just fine at lifting my roots, and my hair doesn't turn yellow easily. This was pretty dissapointing.
I would even have prefered it if it didn't lift the colour of my roots as much, AS LONG as the results were ashy! But no!
On the positive side, it smelled quite pleasant, didn't make my scalp itchy at all, it left my hair soft and the lengths are quite shiny. But all that is useless if the colour is so off! To anyone who's looking for a trully ashy blonde i recommend Garnier colour sensation 111. It's half the price and the only dye that makes my hair as ashy as i like it to be. I don't know why i risked it in the first place. The girl's hair on the packaging looked lovely, so i bought it like an idiot.

on 12/28/2013 3:29:00 PM

this review is for iced mocha and iced latte shades. i have used both on different strands to give my hair a bit of depth.

i would not recommend it as it ruined my hair. the colours are much darker from what was shown on the box with no shine to it at all.

it left ashy undertones on some hair and gold undertones on the roots.

i went to my hairdressers today and she said that she had never seen my hair to be this dehydrated ! she recommended to wait for couple of weeks before she does anything to fix it.

also, this dye is permanent not semi-permanent as it says on the box, it will take ages for it to fade away..

I realise Casting is semi-permanent, as it fades out over up to 28 washes, but it claims to cover up to 50% grey and as I have considerably less grey than that I thought I'd try it anyway. I used to use it years ago to jazz up my dark brown hair but that was when I had no greys. Recently, I've tried both the medium brown and the chocolate shades. On both occasions I noticed that overall my hair came out considerably darker than the box depicted for about three washes then faded somewhat, but my roots were noticeably lighter. I also noticed the greys faded considerably within several washes and some greys never took the dye at all, despite me being extremely careful to cover all my hair. My hair felt rough and dry immediately after rinsing thoroughly and had that familiar chemical smell. The conditioner is lovely though and my hair felt full of body afterwards. To summarise, I would only use this very occasionally if it is on special offer just to jazz up my hair colour when I fancy a change from my usual Nice n' Easy semi permanent in Dark Brown, and even then only if I have little grey to cover (I use permanent colour every six weeks, using a semi-permanent in between to cover my roots and refresh my colour). The Castings colour range is more exciting than Nice n' Easy. But on me the results are disappointing.