September 30, 2014 | 1625 users online

Powder - Larenim Pressed Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2014 10:20:00 AM More reviews by notagoodidea

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Stumbled onto this makeup at Natural Grocers. I wear 3-WM - Bare Minerals medium for color reference. Looking for a pressed mineral foundation that covers, absorbs oil and doesn't contain the crap that irritates acne prone skin like so many other mineral products. Loose powder is just too messy and really isn't portable. I use the sponge provided and this stuff last for hours. Folks, nothing without nasty chemical adhesives is going to stay on all day. Please don't put that crap on your fave. L'Oreal, Avon and Cover Girl are the worst offenders. They still knowingly put lead in their lipsticks.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2013 2:33:00 AM More reviews by Jhulagurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Unfortunately, this product is not good for oily skin. It does not mattify the skin or control any oil whatsoever. It turns to a greasy, oily, cakey mess in less than an hour. If you have dry to normal skin this may work better for you. It has medium coverage, so it is good for covering rosacea type skin tones (I use 2wm). DO NOT use the sponge that it comes with, if you do it will look super CAKEY, chalky and unnatural on the skin. Its best to use a dense kabuki brush with it; using circular buffing motions. Overall, i'm dissapointed that this has not oil control.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2012 11:24:00 AM More reviews by caraspilates

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Love this product! Amazing coverage.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2011 9:23:00 PM More reviews by MaggieN

I have use this pressed mineral foundation for about couple of months total now. I use the color 3WM. For color ref I'm a NC27/NC25 in Mac Studio Tech, Warm Silk in Jane Iredale, Conceal in Tarte Smooth Operator. I like this foundation because it's mineral and it's in a pressed form so it is convenient to use on the go, coverage is medium to full depending on how much you use, it looks very natural on my skin - not cakey or shimmery, kinda matte which is what I like. But the cons is that the pan is very flimsy, the top broke off halfway through using the product and it's not like the drop it, and also there are not many colors selection - they could make a color between 3WM and 4WM because the 4WM looks much tanner than 3WM, and I need to slightly tanner color during the summer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2011 12:53:00 AM More reviews by piecesofpurple

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ya know, it's funny because I'm obsessed with reading reviews before buying a product, but I've noticed as of late that products that I like usually get bad reviews and products that I bought because of the steller reviews never live up to the hype. I've tried countless foundations, especially MMU products and the majority never hold up on the skin. If you happen to have oily skin, get caught in a light drizzle of rain, or you don't have time to touch up your foundation through out the day, 99.9% of mineral makeups will disappoint you. I've tried so many foundations to replace this one and I always end up back to it, no matter what. It holds up extremely well, even if I'm in a pool and being splashed in the face with water! I don't dunk my head, but when water droplets splash me in the face, my makeup doesn't slide off or streak, it simply looks like water droplets landed on a makeup-free face, which is simply amazing. I've tried to stray from pressed powders that contain dimethicone, but I've actually found that pressed formulations that don't contain dimethicone never hold up well on the skin, for whatever reason that may be. Larenim also has some of the best oil control for a mineral makeup that I've found so far. Yes, the makeup can look chalky, but if you have oily/combination skin, it'll warm to your skin rather quickly and look very natural. It never pools up or separates on my skin and the coverage is buildable. I use a flocked sponge for application. I'm NC 15 and 2WM is my foundation shade. I hope this review helps someone who may be hesitant to try this product from all the negative feedback. Also, there's no smell! I have an extremely sensitive nose and there's honestly no apparent smell! Plus, pressed foundations are so much more convenient than lose. It makes application time so much quicker. You can find it cheaper online at other web sites if the 26 dollar price tag turns you off. Also, this makeup hardly transfers, even when I have oily breakthrough, which is such a miracle. I hate having to worry about people kissing me on the cheek and walking away with my pale foundation on their mouth! No worries this, though.

A major downside is that if you're looking for heavy coverage, you can achieve it with this foundation, but you'll rip through the pan very, very quickly because the particle size seems to be bigger. For me, I use about 1 pan a month of every day use for heavy coverage of acne, scarring, and strong redness. So, I'm looking for an alternative and keep this around for days that I don't want to worry about re-applying my makeup.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2010 2:08:00 PM More reviews by grisel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this product for about 5 years. I don't like using liquid foundation or foundation on a stick because it conatins many chemicals that are bad for my skin. Larenim is the only line that I found that makes their foundation in a pressed powder form. I don't like loose powder foundation. This foundation I like because it is made out of minerals it comes in a pressed powder form and it gives my face a beautiful flawless finish! However, if your skin is dry the foundation looks very very chalky, this happens to me especially in the winter months, also if I tan a bit the color looks awful and also looks chalky. That is why I buy 2 different shades 2wm for the winter and 3wm for the summer when I get slightly more tan and sometimes I mix both colors. The packaging is HORRIBLE and cheap it break very easily. But I continue to buy this product because I think it is a great foundation and it is healthy and safe to use

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2009 12:06:00 PM More reviews by akiss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After being diagnosed with perioral dermatitis I invested in this pressed foundation hoping it would not cause any reactions. The smell is a bit disgusting but I can live with it. What I don't care for is that the compact is soooo cheaply made it fell apart right away. Also the product dries my skin out terribly. The foundation that is left in the compact now almost looks like a ragged rock of some sorts. From sweeping the applicator over the product I can clearly see where the foundation was taken from while other areas of the product look like it was never used at all. The coverage is also extremely sheer and doesn't even seem to be noticeable. I should have saved my $24!
Edit: I have thrown away my dior foundation at this time and have solely been using this product with other all natural products and my face is clearing up beautifully. My face was parched as a result of prescription meds and not this make up. I have also started washing the sponge every few days which makes application much easier.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2008 3:26:00 PM More reviews by rrfx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this powder. I'm have clear, oily skin. It goes on smooth, covers my pores without looking cakey, and really lasts! I use 3W as an allover foundation and have found it works well as an under-eye concealer, too!
I've had no problems with smell or reactions, but I wash the sponge and dry it overnight every week or so. Face-oil buildup affects the way it covers and might be the culprit for those who had reactions after a month of good experience.
The hinge on the compact is a little fragile. I've had 2 break on me already. I use them at home now, but it's supposed to be portable!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2008 8:27:00 PM More reviews by Caitsidhe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A good, all-natural pressed foundation. Nice, lightweight plastic case that contains a decent quality sponde applicator separately from the mirror and makeup. The coverage is excellent and it has sun protection from the titanium oxide content. The only con I have is that when I use it under my eyes, it dries the skin and makes the wrinkles more visible. Otherwise, it would be a HG. I didn't notice a smell or increase in acne, as other reviewers mentioned. I've been using it as my daily foundation for about four months now.

Larenim foundation comes in lots of colors for both pale and darker skin tones, and is widely available at Super Supplements, Wild Oats, and Whole Foods here in the Seattle area.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/29/2007 12:31:00 PM More reviews by VikiLyn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Eeeeew! It does stink! I had high hopes for this - a reasonably affordable pressed mineral makeup that I could get at my Wild Oats. The smell was just unbearable though. To me, it smelled like some of the oils that are used to hold it together had gotten rancid. Maybe this is why some folks don"t get the stinky compacts? Maybe this had been sitting on the shelf too long. Anyway, I tried to use it anyway, the color match wasn't too bad (I bought the 3WN, I think... I am using Sunkissed Fair in Everday Minerals now). It did look really dry and flaky when I first put it on, but after about a 1/2 hr looked ok. I like the idea of a compact, but couldn't get over the smell - and it wasn't a great enough product to put up with it.