September 3, 2014 | 1096 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 2:23:00 PM More reviews by michellerodgerscts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this thing!

Let me first say that I was a non-believer. I tried all the dupes...hated most...loved some (namely the Real Techniques Beauty Sponge...and I will always go back and forth between the two)...and the BB is the winner...

The only thing I can say about this in comparison to the others is that this is so much more effortless. The RT Sponge doesnt pick up a lot of product...this picks up less...the RT Sponge blends in liquid and cream foundations and concealers to a flawless finish...the BB is just even more flawless. I have literally done myself and clients half with the BB and half with the RT Sponge...and in my personal and professional opinion, the results are the EXACT SAME, the BB just takes less time.

Other than my Revlon Color Stay Whipped...I use sponges for all of my foundation/BB cream/CC cream/tinted moisturizer/ Concealer application...and I will probably never go back to a brush. This is an amazing and long lasting product. If you can purchase on Amazon it is also really cheap. I was able to purchase two of the black pro BBs for $23.50 with free shipping.

To clean I use either Tone Body Wash, Trader Joes body wash, or my Nubian Heritage black soap bar. All of these clean it very thoroughly. I then leave it to dry in its container lid.

Go get one ASAP!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 2:17:00 AM More reviews by franneh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

What can I say... this little beauty sponge lives up to all the hype. Doesn't waste as much product, easy to use, and blends like a dream. Don't buy the dupes, guys. Just go for the real thing. You won't be disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2014 6:40:00 PM More reviews by BeccahH

Hmm, I couldn't really find a satisfactory dupe for this. I bought the double pack from Sephora last year, but I'm still on my first one. I wash it immediately following use with Dr.Bronner's soap, every time though. I do like this for blending out an old fashioned cream concealer contour as well. The tip of this sponge also blends out my under eye concealer nicely. I have tried using it with powders, like the creator said you could, but no! I do not recommend using this or any other sponge with powder makeup.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Ah, the beautyblender. It's become one of those things I can't live without, but it definitely has some issues I wish they'd fix.

First of all, a confession: I almost never use this wet, and when I do, I just spritz it with rosewater. I don't run it under the tap and let it puff up like you're supposed to. I find that a)I am lazy and this takes less time, and b)the sponge soaks up more product this way, giving me nice sheer coverage instead of full-on makeup, and c)I can use it to blend out powder products when it's dry without risk of color changes or cakiness. I'll spritz it to build up my liquid foundation, blend my concealer, and remove product if I've overpowdered.

This leads in to my number-one gripe about the beautyblender: it is such a pain in the ass to clean! I've tried the two soaps by the same company but I've found that the two things that work best for me are Dr. Bronner's soap and MAC Cleanse Off Oil. When you use the sponge dry, however, it stains really really badly and always looks a little dingy. The time I save putting on my makeup in the morning is used to clean and re-clean the sponge when I get home. If you've got any tips, PM me and I'll be eternally grateful.

My second gripe: The dye. Thinking about buying the "pure" version but I'm worried that it would look even more horribly dingy than the pink one. I bought the black "pro" ones but found that, while they didn't bleed, they also had a different texture that I didn't like as much. No matter how much you wash it or what you wash it with, this sponge will always, always bleed pink dye. I've had my original for a long time now -- probably time to chunk it, honestly -- and it's been washed thousands of times with every soap under the sun, and it still bleeds dye when I use Dr. Bronner's. I even soaked it in vinegar on a whim to remedy the dye problem since that's what you do with bleeding brushes (note: this was gross, don't do it. It didn't hurt the sponge but I think it made it angry). I think that, after I've stopped using this one on my face and right before I throw it out, I'm going to experiment with some Borax to see if that'll remedy my sponge problems, haha.

So I'm going to keep buying them because I love how easy and sheer they make foundation application, but I'm also going to keep complaining about them and their ridiculous pricetag until they either fix the staining/bleeding issues or I find a comparable dupe. ;) Plus, it's adorable and soft and I just can't stay mad at something that lets me sleep a couple extra minutes in the morning.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2014 6:27:00 PM More reviews by queenofthenile

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can't do my makeup without this little gem. I've tried applying liquid foundation with some of the top rated brushes on MUA (Real Techniques Face Brush and Sephora Pro Flawless Airbrush #56) but my foundation always looks cakey and streaky. Applying it with my fingers gives me the same result. Not so with the BeautyBlender. This sponge leaves my makeup looking natural, even and flawless. The coverage is quite sheer to start with but can be built up easily. The only little thing that bothers me about this sponge is how difficult it is to clean it, even with the special cleanser. But other than that it's an absolutely wonderful product I will never be without.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2014 8:37:00 AM More reviews by Bexstar

I love this sponge so much that I would pay double what it's worth! Love love love

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2014 6:17:00 AM More reviews by Sugarnspice28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

As with a lot of other reviews regarding this product, I too was sceptical at the price of the product and hence held of buying. I saw a really good offer on Amazon where I got 2 sponges for 25. I am still on the fence about this product.

I have used it on a few occasions now but found it only works on some of my foundations. I used this with my True Match, Match Master and Makeup Forever HD and it worked well. Did not work well with my Maybelline Fit Me or MAC Face and Body.

Gives an overall smooth application BUT I have had to use a make up brush to buff in the foundation on occasions (True Match).

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2014 More reviews by mistyxrose

I couldn't stand this product after using it three times. I didn't like how the foundation just sat in the sponge - it just didn't look sanitary to me and I don't have time to wash it every time and wait for it to dry. Not to mention, the pink dye just kept running off whenever I washed it and that's something I don't want transferring onto my face. The application didn't amaze me either - I was so disappointed.

I've tried other beauty sponges before and my favourite one only cost me $5, so for $26, I expected more. Buying quality brushes I think is the way to go and will probably last longer. I won't be repurchasing it because there are better cosmetic applicators.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by mitzigaynor15

I've had this sponge for about a year and I've used it many different ways in order to be able to write a comprehensive review on the product. I always begin with a clean sponge that has been soaked in clean water and wrung out but still damp. If I put liquid foundation on my hand and use the large end of the sponge to pick up product to apply to my face, it wastes foundation. It is also hard to clean all the excess foundation the sponge has soaked up. The best way to use the sponge for foundation application is to spread or dot the foundation around the face, then use the sponge to blend. I prefer using the larger side first, then I use the smaller end to blend around my nose, eyes, etc. Let the bounciness of the sponge help blend the foundation for you--don't rub too much with the sponge. The dampness of the sponge leaves your skin with a dewy finish. Another way I like to use this blender is to apply my liquid or cream foundation with my fingers, then use the damp sponge in a dotting motion to set it, leaving it with a dewy, fresh look. After use, I let the sponge dry until I get ready to use it the next time, then I wash it. The best cleanser for the sponge is liquid hand soap or diluted Dr. Bronner's castile soap. Make sure to rinse, rinse and rinse again as this baby sucks up a lot of soap.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2014 4:56:00 AM More reviews by skygazer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm sorry, but this is FIRST time a MUA top pick disappointed me! I can't believe I paid top $$ for this sponge. I've used stipplied it slightly damp as described by many of the reviewers here, on powder foundation, liquid foundation and liquid concealer. There's so much product wastage, and the resulting coverage was so poor! Only concealer seems to apply OK (and not fantastic). I will NOT re-buy.

Returning to my Sigma F82 brush for foundation application..