September 21, 2014 | 2113 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2014 8:00:00 PM More reviews by PlanetAmour

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Once I learned you have to wet these before you use them, I really liked it. I don't get the cleaner - why it has to be that cleaner specifically - maybe someone has the answer. I have two, a white one and a pink one. I feel OCD about trying to make it look new and it never does. But that's besides the point. I have two because I really like these! I rotate between my flat foundation brush and this depending on which foundation. This seems to make any foundation sheerer so when I use a full coverage one I use this and it lightens it up. However, if it's a sheer foundation, this can be too sheer. It's so easy to blend. I haven't tried any of the dupes, but for whatever reason this little water loving foundation applying egg just does what it promises. I would recommend getting one, but the sigma brushes for foundation work well, too, and are less expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2014 7:45:00 PM More reviews by Silverfox7

I put off buying one of these for a long time because I felt the price was just so high and I can sometimes be frugal. I finally bit the bullet and got one. I am not sorry that I did. It really does help me to get my foundation to look flawless with a minimum of effort. I have used sponges and brushes and my fingers, but nothing works as well for me as this does.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2014 3:59:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

After trying several dupe makeup sponges (ulta generic, sephora generic, real techniques, ones I get at Sally's, tons of dupes) I have finally purchased the bb. Holy cow this sponge works like a dream.

It truly blends makeup easily with a stippling motion. It is the softest in touch compared to the other sponges I have tried. No streaks or patches in my foundation. I have used it with Smashbox HD foundation, Smashbox BB, MAC BB cream, Clinque BB, and to blend my tarte and smashbox concealers. Works great with every product I've tried with it.

My only concern, I find after cleansing the pink dye runs in the water. I might treat the "pure" uncolored bb, but per reviews it just don't perform like the pink one.

Go ahead and splurge on this one, worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2014 1:23:00 AM More reviews by awdorkable

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I had never heard of a beauty blender before, but on my most recent makeup shopping trip, an accosicate recommended one. I was a bit weary of spending $26 for a makeup sponge, but I decided to give it a go. And wow, am I ever glad I did. Before I would apply my foundations with a normal makeup sponge. Not only did they waste a lot of product, they were hard to apply makeup flawlessly since they are made of a more dense sponge.
To apply my foundation, I run my beauty blender under lukewarm water until it puffs up, then I squish out most of the water and pat dry on a towel. I then blot the foundation on my face using my fingers, then pounce the beauty blender all over to blend. You can squish the beauty blender to reach under the eyes, or use the tip to get into hard to reach areas. I always end up with a flawless application. I purchased the beauty blender solid soap as a cleanser (all that was available at the time). For the $20, it was a waste of money because it doesn't clean off any of the foundation, it just causes a whole lot of pink dye to run out of the sponge. But since this is a review on the sponge itself, I give it a 10/10. So soft and pliable, and causes minimal waste of foundation. A wonderful invention for flawless makeup application.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 2:23:00 PM More reviews by michellerodgerscts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this thing!

Let me first say that I was a non-believer. I tried all the dupes...hated most...loved some (namely the Real Techniques Beauty Sponge...and I will always go back and forth between the two)...and the BB is the winner...

The only thing I can say about this in comparison to the others is that this is so much more effortless. The RT Sponge doesnt pick up a lot of product...this picks up less...the RT Sponge blends in liquid and cream foundations and concealers to a flawless finish...the BB is just even more flawless. I have literally done myself and clients half with the BB and half with the RT Sponge...and in my personal and professional opinion, the results are the EXACT SAME, the BB just takes less time.

Other than my Revlon Color Stay Whipped...I use sponges for all of my foundation/BB cream/CC cream/tinted moisturizer/ Concealer application...and I will probably never go back to a brush. This is an amazing and long lasting product. If you can purchase on Amazon it is also really cheap. I was able to purchase two of the black pro BBs for $23.50 with free shipping.

To clean I use either Tone Body Wash, Trader Joes body wash, or my Nubian Heritage black soap bar. All of these clean it very thoroughly. I then leave it to dry in its container lid.

Go get one ASAP!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 2:17:00 AM More reviews by franneh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

What can I say... this little beauty sponge lives up to all the hype. Doesn't waste as much product, easy to use, and blends like a dream. Don't buy the dupes, guys. Just go for the real thing. You won't be disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2014 6:40:00 PM More reviews by BeccahH

Hmm, I couldn't really find a satisfactory dupe for this. I bought the double pack from Sephora last year, but I'm still on my first one. I wash it immediately following use with Dr.Bronner's soap, every time though. I do like this for blending out an old fashioned cream concealer contour as well. The tip of this sponge also blends out my under eye concealer nicely. I have tried using it with powders, like the creator said you could, but no! I do not recommend using this or any other sponge with powder makeup.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE: OK, I bought the super duper tiny green ones because they were adorable, but I haven't found them terribly useful just yet. I pretty much only use them for the undereye and for blending a browbone highlight in but it's really nothing that Big Pink can't do. They're fun, though, can't argue with that - just not the time-savers that the big one is. If I find an innovative new use for them you guys will be the first to know...

Ah, the beautyblender. It's become one of those things I can't live without, but it definitely has some issues I wish they'd fix.

First of all, a confession: I almost never use this wet, and when I do, I just spritz it with rosewater. I don't run it under the tap and let it puff up like you're supposed to. I find that a)I am lazy and this takes less time, and b)the sponge soaks up more product this way, giving me nice sheer coverage instead of full-on makeup, and c)I can use it to blend out powder products when it's dry without risk of color changes or cakiness. I'll spritz it to build up my liquid foundation, blend my concealer, and remove product if I've overpowdered.

This leads in to my number-one gripe about the beautyblender: it is such a pain in the ass to clean! I've tried the two soaps by the same company but I've found that the two things that work best for me are Dr. Bronner's soap and MAC Cleanse Off Oil. When you use the sponge dry, however, it stains really really badly and always looks a little dingy. The time I save putting on my makeup in the morning is used to clean and re-clean the sponge when I get home. If you've got any tips, PM me and I'll be eternally grateful.

My second gripe: The dye. Thinking about buying the "pure" version but I'm worried that it would look even more horribly dingy than the pink one. I bought the black "pro" ones but found that, while they didn't bleed, they also had a different texture that I didn't like as much. No matter how much you wash it or what you wash it with, this sponge will always, always bleed pink dye. I've had my original for a long time now -- probably time to chunk it, honestly -- and it's been washed thousands of times with every soap under the sun, and it still bleeds dye when I use Dr. Bronner's. I even soaked it in vinegar on a whim to remedy the dye problem since that's what you do with bleeding brushes (note: this was gross, don't do it. It didn't hurt the sponge but I think it made it angry). I think that, after I've stopped using this one on my face and right before I throw it out, I'm going to experiment with some Borax to see if that'll remedy my sponge problems, haha.

So I'm going to keep buying them because I love how easy and sheer they make foundation application, but I'm also going to keep complaining about them and their ridiculous pricetag until they either fix the staining/bleeding issues or I find a comparable dupe. ;) Plus, it's adorable and soft and I just can't stay mad at something that lets me sleep a couple extra minutes in the morning.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2014 6:27:00 PM More reviews by queenofthenile

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can't do my makeup without this little gem. I've tried applying liquid foundation with some of the top rated brushes on MUA (Real Techniques Face Brush and Sephora Pro Flawless Airbrush #56) but my foundation always looks cakey and streaky. Applying it with my fingers gives me the same result. Not so with the BeautyBlender. This sponge leaves my makeup looking natural, even and flawless. The coverage is quite sheer to start with but can be built up easily. The only little thing that bothers me about this sponge is how difficult it is to clean it, even with the special cleanser. But other than that it's an absolutely wonderful product I will never be without.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2014 8:37:00 AM More reviews by Bexstar

I love this sponge so much that I would pay double what it's worth! Love love love