December 19, 2014 | 1556 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2014 12:42:00 AM More reviews by sarah_417

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I seem to be in the minority, but the beauty blender was just one of those fad things that some people absolutely love, but it just didn't work for me.

I have uber dry skin, and thought using the damp sponge might help with applying foundation. It just didn't work for me at all. It seemed to "kick up" flakes as I tried to work product in. Thinking maybe it was my foundation, I tried with different foundations, using it both dry, damp, and quite wet. Initially it would leave a nice finish, but once the dampness on my skin from the sponge dried, my skin looked uneven and blotchy.

Assuming I had been using it wrong, I went to youtube, trying to find a different technique. No luck. Not to mention, this sponge eats up product like crazy. I went from a half pump (before BBsponge) on my YSL foundation to 3 pumps. The coverage on my foundation went from full to medium using the sponge too.

Washing:
This is a pain. It takes forever to dry. Even a small amount of cleaning product, and this takes forever to rinse clean. But without a decent amount of cleaner, the makeup is still very visible on the surface. It looks stained and yucky even after a thorough washing. It takes even longer to dry.

I pull it out of my drawer from time to time, but always come to the same conclusion. I finally tossed it, and got some real techniques brushes. They are working much better for my dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2014 11:24:00 PM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

While I'm not aware of there being any differences between the various colors offered, this review is for the pink beautyblender.

I was incredibly skeptical of a $20 sponge and wasted my time and money with some cheaper options before biting the bullet. However, since purchasing (about a year and a half ago) I have definitely fallen in love and have even gone so far as to gift others beautyblenders as well.

To use, I completely wet my beautyblender at which point it expands in size, then I squeeze out excess water. If I'm feeling particularly fancy, I'll then wrap it in a paper towel and squeeze out more excess water but most of the time I skip that step and haven't seen any reduction in performance. I then dab liquid foundation directly onto my face using my fingers, following up with the beautyblender to stipple it over my face.

A foundation that may look pretty decent with a skinlike finish when applied with fingers is transformed to a slightly dewier, but still believable finish. This method also applies my foundation more evenly, and doesn't leave streak marks as a brush does (which I find absorbs more of the product too).

I also occasionally use a beautyblender to apply concealer for more even coverage and to help prevent cakeiness. Sometimes if I'm wearing powder foundation which I prefer using brushes for, I'l dampen a beautyblender and gently pat my face with it to absorb excess powder for a more natural finish as well.

The beautyblender is a sponge material and can be sensitive to sharp objects so I have nicked it with my nail before and it has a tiny hole in that spot. However, the hole hasn't grown noticeably larger even with washing either before/after each use so I imagine this will last me a while. After about a year of using it about 3x a week the only difference is that the pink dye has faded so instead of the hot pink it was originally it's a slightly dulled bubblegum pink however this hasn't affected the performance. As a side note, I love using olive oil bar soap (I use Kiss My Face but Dr. Bronner's is a really popular brand) to clean mine and it gets out all the stains.

Contrasted with the dupes I tried (a generic 4-pack off Amazon, and then a slightly more expensive $10 sponge) I find the beautyblender expands much more, is softer, and absorbs less liquid product making it a more economical option in the long run. If you're using it with powder foundation to go lightly over when you're done applying with a brush, I think the dupes would perform just as well.

Overall, the beautyblender suits my needs since the finish of products matters a lot to me and I wouldn't hesitate to repurchase in the future. However, for anyone who is happy with how their foundation looks already, I don't think this would be necessary.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2014 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Annushka

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

$19USD at sephora. pink in colour. have tried the real techniques due and this was better.
wet the sponge until it inflates and then use a towel to take out excess moisture.
i have used this with most of my foundations and those that are water based, it does a great job for. it blends liquid foundation flawlessly into my skin, and it feels nice too because its a dabbing motion- a brush has some drag.
its also very quick to apply liquids. you can build coverage in specific areas without caking up because the damp sponge is mixed with the pigments in the foundation.
blends concealers easily into the skin for highlighting and blemish covering purposes. i tap the concealer into the desired areas, and then blend with the sponge. the top tip is great for the under eye. the rounder bottom and the sides are great for larger face areas.
the packaging is a little plastic cylindrical tube that can be used to place the sponge on and let it dry. travel friendly.
only downside is cleaning it- its harder to clean than a brush and must be replaced every 3 months.
i don't have the designated beautyblender cleansers. i used my mac brush cleaner to clean it - soaked it in the cleansing liquid then squeezed it out and the foundation came out. the sponge is still stained though.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2014 8:39:00 AM More reviews by Missmartinez1014

I had previously liked the beauty blender after using it and used nothing else to apply my foundation as I never received the same flawless look. I think I took it for granted. Mine sort of fell apart after some time and so I didn't have time to go to sephora and picked up a knock off beauty blender...NEVER BUY A KNOCK OFFS!!!! The beauty blender is the most amazing beauty sponge out there and it cannot be recreated. The $20 is very much worth every cent. I can't live without it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2014 12:09:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I'm late to jump on the BB bandwagon but like it so far. I've used it with tinted moisturizers, foundations, cream compact foundations, and even Laneige BB cushion, because I don't like the flat spongey applicator included with the compact. My foundation looks natural but the sponge seems to absorb a lot of product. I can never get this thing clean though, no matter what I use. After cleaning, there's always a blob of foundation stuck on the fat end of the sponge that I can't remove, but that's probably user error. I like BB, but I was previously using the Shu Uemura lightbulb foundation sponge to apply my makeup, which I like better due to its smoother texture.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2014 6:39:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am so late in finally purchasing this product! with different foundations, i use specific brushes for each one to get a specific coverage. My mufe hd has been sitting in my vanity untouched because i just didnt like how thick it looked on my face, but the beauty blender really blends it nicely! i just need one squirt of foundation, use my BB damp and voila! seamless

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2014 7:41:00 PM More reviews by jakelovesmakeup

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was reluctant to buy this seeing I can get a good foundation brush with my MAC discount for this price. I finally caved and bought it. It is a nice change from the traditonal brush. Blends foundation beautifully. I dont love the sponge, but I do like the addtion to my kit. It's a nice option to have, and does create a flawless look. Although, nothing you cant recreate with a brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2014 12:01:00 AM More reviews by monmellow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to use a stippling brush to apply my MUFE HD foundation but since getting this have become a convert.

It gives me a really nice airbrush finish and application time is very quick! A definite bonus for a non-morning person like me who gets ready til the last minute before running out to catch the bus!

i use the pointy end to apply undereye concealer (tarte creaseless concealer) and am very pleased so far. A little goes a long way if you're looking for that everyday, natural yet flawless look.

I think part of the reason this works well for me is that my products are on the thicker side. I can see it wasting a lot of product if it's very watery. I must admit I was worried it would absorb most of my foundation but I use almost the same amount (probably slightly more) with the beautyblender. I also love how you can build it up in layers, giving you more coverage without cakiness.

I have the white version and when I wash it with my face wash it looks almost like new again. It's pretty durable so far, and so so soft that it doesn't bother sensitive areas like the under eye (I've had this problem with other, harder sponges).

Overall I really like this and will likely buy it again, but only if I don't find a good dupe because it is definitely overpriced.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2014 4:42:00 PM More reviews by KilluhXCee

so I finally bit the bullet and tried the beauty blender and I will say...its good. Amazing for a reusable sponge but worth the hefty price tag? not so much

when I first purchased this product, it took a bit to get used too since I was so used to using brushes for my foundation for that max coverage, flawless look. So due to you having to wet the sponge and actually using it with the foundation, it was kinda off-putting since because like I mentioned earlier its a wet sponge, I personally felt like it sheered the coverage down a little but, that's not a bad thing. because as it sheers it out slightly, it makes it look alot more natural like second skin almost, and really gives that glowing / even look (best way to put it would be like shiseido advertisements / kpop korean glow). The BEST part about this is that because it sheers down foundations, its the BEST with cream / full coverage foundations that can be cakey if you overdo it (ex: kat von d lock it tattoo foundations / estee lauder double wear max and regular / mac full coverage or studio tech ). One thing I can TRULY appreciate is that because you have to get it wet to use it, you have to clean it after each use anyways seeing as you're gonna wet it under water anyways so in that aspect for lazy people like myself, its a no brainer "kill two birds with one stone" type of ordeal

it TRULY gives it a much more comfortable feel while remaining it to look more skin-like if you're go a little to heavy handed with foundations naturally. also I commend the brand but allowing us to recycle these things by sending it back to the company. NOW THE GRIPE I HAVE IS THE PRICE. yes in certain aspects it is worth it, cause I haven't found a sponge that is TOTALLY 100% SPOT ON as a dupe as of yet. The closest I have found is actually soho brand one from the drugstore / as well as from crown brushes despite that the shape isnt the same. personally though in times of desperation (and being a broke college student) I have ordered the ones from ebay for a $1 each and its not bad. but....its not a dupe it works but its just not the same at all

so would I say the beauty blender is worth it? in the sense yes but would I personally go out of my way to purchase it over & over again?.....sadly here and there when I have the cash to spare but seeing as I am on a budget with just how much I can spend I would say no. if you can afford it however yes totally go for it but if you have brushes that already works for you I don't think you NEEEEED to go out of you're way to purchase this. ITS DEF WORTH GIVING A SHOT THOUGH!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2014 4:11:00 PM More reviews by maiitaii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

To be honest, I'm not loving this for foundation at all. My big thing with foundation is getting a natural, skin-like finish. My skin at the moment is really dry (it gets combo in the summer though), and I have mild acne and fine lines but no textural issues otherwise, nor am I someone who looks for full coverage. I just feel like it's much harder to control the amount/sheerness of your foundation with a sponge, and it always ends up giving me cake-face :( I'm not sure I like this better than fingers, let alone a quality brush. Granted, a good brush is a lot more expensive than this, but it'll last you for years.

On the other hand, I really like it for concealer! I guess it's because I like to tap on concealer (rather than blending it in, like foundation) and this is perfect for that. I'll probably buy the mini ones next, since they seem perfect for concealer.

Judging by how well this works with my concealers, and not foundations, I think the beauty blender is best suited for thicker, creamier formulations rather than the very liquidy, siliconey foundations I like. It's a good product overall (and definitely better than cheaper sponges) so I'll give it a 4, it's just not suited to most of *my* purposes.