October 22, 2014 | 1997 users online

Styling Products - Garnier - Super Stiff Gel

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2014 3:25:00 PM More reviews by maggieruland

I like it for updos but not for scrunching at all. It is hard to work with

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2013 7:48:00 PM More reviews by Ultraviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had been looking for a stringy, stretchy, gooey, slimey hair gel for the longest time. For some reason, my hair is happiest with hair products which have the consistency of things normally not considered suitable for use in hair. Honestly, if I could somehow put algae extract, primordial ooze and snail goo into a bottle, heavily fragranced with earthy notes, of course? My hair would die happy.

Alas, this gel almost made it die, but not before a love/hate relationship with it. Yes, this gel literally stretches in your hands--but I never had a hard time applying it to my damp, curly hair. If anything, this gel slid through my hair, providing even coverage, with amazing ease. I was expecting to end up with a glob of it in one section which dried before I had time to rake it through my entire head, but this did not happen.

It also did not flake in my hair, which almost every gel has a tendency to do, regardless of the amount used. It also gave my hair a slight sheen, not as shiny as when I use glycerin/silicone based products, but definitely brighter than most gels.

It rinsed cleanly out of my hair without shampoo, and I don't recall any silicones (water soluble or not) being in this formulation. It also held my curls in 80-90% humidity with minimal frizz (the only frizz which happened either occurred around my temples, or around the crown of my head due to my scrunching the slight hardness out of my hair).

My hair also dried very quickly while using generous amounts of the gel, which is usually not the case. I have shoulder-length, thick, curly hair which usually takes several hours to fully air dry with most gels. With this one, my entire head was dry in less than two hours.

So this sounds like a holy grail, right?

Except the alcohol. If you hair can handle that ingredient, you're one of the chosen few--and if the previous descriptions of this gel have made you interested in trying it, do so! It's around $3.50 a tube, so it won't be a heavy investment if it doesn't work for you.

If you hair can tolerate alcohol in moderate amounts, you may have better luck with this gel than I did. After a week of using it, my hair felt like straw (and I do a daily conditioner rinse with no issues), which was only rejuvenated after several deep conditioners. And several days of not using the gel.

Went back to the gel for a day, just to see if it could be salvaged? Nope. Tried the gel the next day with a light application of argan oil over it. Nope.

It's a shame, as I want to like this gel. Which is why I rated it so highly--except for the alcohol content, this gel is a keeper. But I cannot sacrifice my hair's health for a good hair product.

FYI--if you do like this one, you may want to stock up on some tubes when you see it. I've been seeing it disappear from several drugstores in the Chicagoland area. Not sure if it's being discontinued, or just not selling in certain stores. But given the gel's reputation for being hard to work with, its unique consistency, and the alcohol content? I wouldn't be surprised if this one went the way of the buffalo as it's a bit of a niche product--especially for a drugstore brand.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2012 1:25:00 PM More reviews by Bylaw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I HAD to write a review of this product just based on it's difficulty to work with. I KNEW it would get a ton of bad reviews because of that.

This gel is heavy, sticky, and stringy. There is no doubt about that. Distributing it evenly through hair is a challenge.

BUT. It is worth it. This is a great gel with lots of hold and does not flake. It has always given me lovely waves. I stocked up when it was on sale.

Sure, this gel is temperamental. Put it in your hand, rub your hands together and once they're apart, make opposing circles to keep the "strings" from stretching out. Pat all over and then rub in. It takes a minute but once it's in, it slips through and isn't sticky or stringy anymore.

Tie up with a teeshirt for 20 minutes + and then finish with a diffuser.

This gel takes some skill and dedication to work with, but is an overall very good gel. Smells nice too. Great hold, no flakes, even adds some shine.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 8:26:00 PM More reviews by crossett

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

As much as I think the Garnier styling paste is a waste of money, I think their Super Stiff Gel is the best! This I have thick heavy hair and this will push it into any direction and keep it there. Really excellent gel. You only need a small amount and it's very inexpensive. Good product!!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2011 2:20:00 PM More reviews by JLPellegrino

This product was terribly on my wavy/slightly curl hair. It was string and gross and impossible to distibute properly. I will not purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2010 2:58:00 PM More reviews by Issa27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've found that when I use a lot of this product I end up with greasy hair. It's very sticky and when used on dry hair the hold isn't strong. I use just a dab on damp hair, pull it back and wait for it to dry. When I comb out my hair it's tamed, sleek and those annoying little frizzies at the top of my head don't pop up. Considering that my hair is stubborn and hard to control, the consistency of this gel is just right for me. It smells good too. I will definitely purchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2010 5:20:00 PM More reviews by veronicakeith

How strange- a hair gel with a strange super-sticky honey consistency, that oddly-enough is the ONLY gel that dependably brings out intense wave/curl in my slightly wavy and hard to scrunch hair. Every other gel that I've ever tried would give me slightly wavy results but some days my hair would just look gross- caked up with gel, yet hardly curly at all. This gel gives me awesome curls- those big almost spiraled Taylor Swift curls. I can definitely see how others would dislike the consistency, but for me this gel is a miracle!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2010 1:10:00 PM More reviews by GlamArtist88

This gel is absolutely gross. Its extremely sticky and stringy!!! when I squeeze the bottle, I always have to keep pulling the gel because a long thin string is left swaying everywhere. Just like melted cheese! Its way to sticky!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2008 6:56:00 PM More reviews by flossyglam

Personally, I've always had great success with this product. Being at a military school, it's essential for me to keep my long hair neatly plastered back and without stray hairs. This is the only gel I've found so far which has both hold and a clear setting, meaning, it DOES NOT leave white stuff in my very dark hair (the exceptions being if it dries and then I significantly disturb the hairstyle, or if a huge glob ends up drying somewhere--but that rarely happens). I think another key may be the fact that I always use it with my hair wet. I put it on the top of my head with still-damp hair, and then make sure to comb it through (I only gave it 4 stars though because the consistency is a really weird sticky feeling, like a peel off mask as another reviewer perfectly noted). The result is a pretty tough helmet which can get me through training or all day long without touch ups, and in my busy schedule that's exactly what I need.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2007 11:49:00 PM More reviews by omgwoah_x3

I personally think this gel sucks. The texture is gross, hard to work with, and waaaaaaaay too sticky to do anything with. Also the scent makes me sick with a headache. :[ No rebuy for me.