Thayers Rose Petal Alcohol Free Witch Hazel

4.2

Purified Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Certified Organic Filet Of Aloe Vera), Glycerin (Vegetable), Fragrance (Natural Rose), Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (made from Certified Organic Witch Hazel), Rosa Centifolia (Rose) Flower Water, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract.

on 6/27/2015 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I love using this product! It smells really good (like roses), and just feels cool and refreshing on my face, a tiny bit tingly, but it's not drying. For a while I did use a toner with alcohol but I stopped because it made my face feel dry and tight which was unpleasant. With the Thayer's toner, I feel like my skin is more firm and overall better when using this product, but it's possible it's the placebo effect. I don't really mind though, as this toner is very affordable, it was under $10 for a huge bottle. I use it once or twice daily after washing my face. I usually just splash some on my (clean) hands and pat it onto my face.

Packaging: Plastic bottle with a reducer cap. The packaging label is very cute and vintage looking. The plastic bottle is a plus for me when it's something I'm handling in the sink area because I'm often clumsy and I'm paranoid about dropping a glass bottle.

While I'm not obsessed with using only natural products, the fact that this has all natural ingredients is a plus. Overall, I love this toner and plan on repurchasing.

on 6/23/2015 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This toner has been a staple product in both mine and my mother's bathrooms. My mom has used this as an actual toner and really enjoys it but the both of us use this all over our bodies daily. During the summer months I hate applying moisturizer since it can feel sticky and I end up feel gross because of it. But if I apply this after I shower, it has a very fresh feel to it and it adds enough moisture to my skin without over doing it. Plus it absorbs so fast and doesn't leave any residue behind. My skin is very sensitive and I tend to get rashes from pretty much anything especially lotions that are have fragrances but this has never once given me a rash.
It soothes my skin so much when ever it gets irritated and I love using it especially after I shave because it helps with any razor burn and the number of ingrown hairs I get had decreased a lot. I even use this on bruises and I feel that they disappear quicker and hurt less over all. Also, I apply this to my nails before I apply nail polish to help keep them from getting discolored and I do the same thing after I remove the polish. I don't know if this is a miracle product but I really enjoy using it year round for things here and there and it has quickly become a staple in my nightly routine.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

worked well but i like the original formula better

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is the third witch hazel toner I've used and the first that had anything other than witch hazel added. Previously I've just used either Dickinson's All Natural Astringent for Face and Body or Dickinson's Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner (I know these are the same brand and probably the same thing but I've used both of them, the Pore Perfecting Toner most recently and currently for use on my body after shaving) which I used 2-3 times per day either after washing my face or as a substitute for washing my face (lazy days).

I know that rose helps with aging (and also I really enjoy the smell of rose) and I'd been wanting to add aloe vera to my routine to help with acne/hyperpigmentation so I thought this would be the perfect place to go! This works, I'd say, just as well as the Dickinson's products I've used with a few exceptions (also, see ----Edit---- below ):
1) I found this formula to be a bit irritating so I switched to only using when washing my face before bed. Nothing bad or severe happened as far as irritation, all that happened was I felt the my face was a little...it's hard to describe, but it felt like I had overdone it on my skin and there was some general redness. Nothing 'hurt' and I didn't flake or anything but I just noticed an 'eh...I'm not a fan of using this so often' feeling from my skin. After to switching to only nighttime the irritation ceased and I can use this toner no problem.
2) I felt like it didn't absorb into my skin as quickly as Dickinson's (but this is probably because there's no alcohol in this formula, so I'm alright with waiting a little longer for it to sink in)

Since I said I wanted it for the Aloe Vera (at least in part) let me just tell you that if you want to add aloe vera into your routine to help with acne/scarring this will not help you. I've started using actual Aloe Vera and it has helped so far but I just don't think this has enough pure Aloe Vera in the formula to help with the afore mentioned things. I also doubt the amount of rose in here would help with aging.

Impression things about this product that aren't too important but help to know:
1) I love the smell, it does smell like rose but I don't think it's at all overpowering (and I've smelt overpowering rose).
2) The packaging is so adorable, I can't get over it. Such a nice vintage look—makes me feel like my grandmother could've used it!
3) It has a nice dispenser (same as all the other witch hazel toners I've tried) so you don't dump too much of it onto your cotton pad.
4) It is more expensive than Dickinson's, but only by a few dollars.

I said that I wouldn't purchase this again because I'm going to make my own when this runs out (still a rose/witch hazel toner, though: http://bodyunburdened.com/diy-all-natural-pore-perfecting-rose-facial-toner/ ). I feel like if I can get as many things in my routine to be the most natural they can be I'll be happier and so will my body (and it's skin!).

----Edit----
Okay...after thinking about this review I just need to say that I disagree with a point I made: "This works, I'd say, just as well as the Dickinson's products I've used with a few exceptions..." This does NOT work just as well. I hadn't really thought about it when writing the review originally but the reduction in pore size and also in the amount of blackheads I had with the Dickinson's Pore Perfecting Witch Hazel Toner did not exist with this toner and my pores/blackheads went back to just how they were before using the Dickinson's toner. I will definitely switch back to using that toner when I make the DIY witch hazel toner. Wish I hadn't bought this product.

on 5/24/2015 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Lovelyy smell, but unfortunately I think the added fragrance was too much as it ended up irritating my skin. Or was it the witch hazel? Maybe both..!That's a shame, 'cause after using it my skin felt incredibly smooth and moisturized, yet really cleansed. I also got this lovely 'glow' after cleansing, but I think it might be because of irritation making my skin slightly red(?) :( My skin felt itchy and uncomfortable hours after each use. Used up the entire bottle, and the irritation went away after I stopped using it...so I'm sure *this* was the culprit and not anything else (other products, stress, allergies, etc.) Good value for money, and love the clear bottle with vintage feel. Natural ingredients also. Really wanted to like this...

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I think this will be a new staple in my skincare regimen. I have been wanting to try a witch hazel toner for years but this is the first one I've ever purchased. It works great to toner after washing or or remove my makeup when I feel like a touchup during the day. My skin feels calm and refreshed and I think it also helps minimize the oiliness. Very happy with this and I also love the smell. Plus you get a years supply for 12 dollars. done. :)

on 4/25/2015 10:28:00 AM

Been longing to try this toner because its alcohol free, no parabens and other scary chemicals. I finally give it a try about weeks ago and so far my reactions are:

- The rose smell is very strong. For me it still bearable, so i don't mind.
- HUGE BOTTLE. I always drop it because its too huge to fit in my vanity.
- It really does clean my face. After use this, the cotton pad looks dirty which is good, showing that this toner is remove the dirt
- refreshing. a little

will I repurchase? i dont think i will. overall it is a good toner.

on 4/2/2015 10:53:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought a bottle of this for $10 at Whole Foods. I have been using it for about 1 month, day and night and there's still 2/3 of the bottle left. So even though it seems a bit pricey, it really does last a good amount of time as long as you're careful when pouring it onto a cotton pad. I wish it were in a spray bottle so that application would be easier, but that's my personal preference.
It has a faint rose smell, but it's incredibly light and non-offensive.
As for how good the product works, I feel a bit uncertain. It hasn't irritated my skin or caused me to break out in any way. It hasn't caused dryness or created dry spots on my face (which my previous toner did, ugh). So it hasn't given me any problems. However, it hasn't given me spectacular results either. It does help remove any leftover make-up or dirt from my face, helping keep my face feeling clean and refreshed. But it doesn't soften my skin, or help with acne/occasional pimples like it has for other users.
Not sure if I'll repurchase. I might try the cucumber one instead once I finish this.
Overall, it is a nice toner. I'd rate it a 3.5/5 if I could.

on 3/11/2015 1:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've oily face, this toner is refreshing, and cleanse my face well. It moisturizing and non-drying, and have a rosy smell (quite strong) but i'm alright with it. I think this toner is gentle to face. I did not experience breakout using this toner. However, i feel that my face is oily after some time using this toner. I don't think this toner helps to control the oiliness in face. I like their packaging too very vintage feel and is cheap and value for money because i thin this toner can last 3 months or longer.. Overall, i am satisfy with this purchase, but i think i will try their other toner to see if whether it suit me better as i am looking for toner that will help control the oiliness in face, sadly this doesn't.

on 2/22/2015 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

In my opinion toner isn't hugely neccessary, but if you're going to be adding one to your routine, I recommend this one. I'm always looking for more natural beauty products, so I ordered this from Amazon for a decent price. It make my skin appear less red and my pores seem tighter, which is great. I struggle with acne so I always feel like I'm rolling the dice when adding a new facial product but this doesn't break me out at all! I also have dry skin around my chin and cheeks from using benzoyl peroxide and the aloe vera in this helps keep that in check. I give this product 4 stars because it does create shine in my t-zone which I normally don't experience :( Not oily at all, but weird and reflective that looks oily from a distance. Using it sparingly and applying powder seems to help though. Overall, it does a nice job at making my skin look and feel healthier, cleaner and more moisturized. Would purchase again, but wouldnt be willing to drop more than the $8 I spent on it.