November 28, 2014 | 1392 users online

Fragrances - Coty - Emeraude

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2014 8:23:00 PM More reviews by valmont32677

I wish I had been able to catch a whiff of this in a pre-1980s bottle form!! This reminds me of Jean Nate, Woolworths, CoverGirl, Coty Airspun loose powder, Youth Dew, & old ladies like my mammaw had the dyed red hair too w curlers & a perm. I am fairly certain it's been reformulated into a faint shadow of itself in its former glory which is a bloody crying shame!! I didn't realize how many fragrances Coty still makes, they do try & keep themselves current from being obsolete w the younger crowd (N. Minaj, Beyoncé, etc) whilst trying to keep their more "mature" customer base.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2013 12:51:00 AM More reviews by karebear0099

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this for $5.99 at the Grocery Outlet so the price was extremely reasonable. I am not crazy about it, but I am not going to get rid of it in case I "grow into it" or something. Although I think that might take a long time.

Anyway, when I first sprayed it, it smelled very familiar to me, and had a spicy smell. The die down after that was just a sweet, powdery smell that reminded me of my grandma. I mean that very literally, I am not trying to say this is a perfume an old person would wear, but in my personal experience it reminds me of my grandma and her apartment. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it either. I would classify it under "okay"

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2013 6:04:00 AM More reviews by rasputin2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've never been privileged to try any vintage EMERAUDE, sadly; I'm just spraying on the EDC I got dirt-cheap at WALGREEN'S. And as others have said here, even though it may be a whisper of its former haute-couture glory, it's still HANDS-DOWN nicer than any of the new celebuscents made for women these days. I'm a fella and I have no problem wearing this EDC as a nice, clean daytime, all-purpose scent. At first blush it may seem like SHALIMAR, but really it is quite different: Where SHALIMAR is famous for its head of bergamot, lemon and citronella, whisper-kissed by galbanum, EMERAUDE has instead a head of what seems to me to be sweet orange, "clean" starched linen-like aldehydes, and coriander bestowing the faint lemony-green quality some detect on first spray. EMERAUDE also has a traditional heart of romantic rose laced with near-subliminal notes of cinnamon and clove. What makes EMERAUDE really different is its very prominent opoponax heart... opoponax, that sharp-smelling resin which initially smells somewhat like that spraycan adhesive we used to use in the 2nd grade in the 1960's on our Christmas projects (haha), but when it settles, it becomes this regal shaft of resiny yellow-gold, with gorgeous, surprisingly sucrée hints of burnt caramel around the edges. EMERAUDE's vanilla is more sweet, floral and unadulterated than the smoky/burnt/incense-y, WD-40 vanillin of SHALIMAR. In my opinion, EMERAUDE does not contain lime; rather, that "creamsicle" quality is a blend of straightforward sweet orange mingled with opoponax, benzoin and vanilla; I think EMERAUDE's verdant jus is what's convincing people they smell lime. EMERAUDE's oriental base contains a tonka bean much more obvious than that of SHALIMAR's; that cherry-vanilla-tobacco kind of smell, blended with sandalwood and amber. (to some, the cherry-like smell of tonka conjures up McDonald's restrooms). Strangely, I do not detect patchouly, though I'm certain it must be there in tinctured, "cosmetic" aura, rather than in its usual green/earthy musk. EMERAUDE contains noticeably animalic hints of deermusk (that "kitten's belly" tender, furry smell, so well-loved in MY SIN and others) and an indolic civet (lending it that slightly urinaceous, slightly "mothball" quality that is responsible for the "old lady" remarks, I am certain.). Personally, I adore the animalics, so these "old fashioned" smells thrill me. Maybe the crowning note of the base is a fairly prominent vetiver... a tarry foil to the perfume's sweetness, giving the whole fragrance that earthy, grounded, rooty, "tailored" aura... vetiver is also a very classy smell, I think, and the vet here is much stronger than any SHALIMAR might have. For a mere $11.00, one can get a real feeling of how great French EMERAUDE must have been when it was new. Interesting to remember that EMERAUDE predated SHALIMAR by four years. As I understand it, those now wishing to re-capture its vintage thrill need to look for it on auction websites in the "parfum de toilette" (sic) strength... (basically an EDP). This is a cheap way to smell really, REALLY good.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Zanita27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am on the drugstore perfume fix and glad i picked this up. This might not smell quite like the vintage perfume, but nevertheless it is wonderful. The initial scent is citrusy and slightly green. Then the draw down is a slightly powdery, faintly spicy floral. To me its beautiful and elegant, not cheap and cheeky. The sillage is moderate and lasts longer than your typical drugstore scent. This green lovely will have a place next to my other drugstore favorite, tourjois moi.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2013 8:40:00 AM More reviews by TaTanesha

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

EMERAUDE!! Oh My Gosh, I use to LOVE this perfume. If you remember Emeraude, then you must remember Revlon's Jean Nate' (LOL) I had a huge bottle of Emeraude perfume and Jean Nate after bath splash and dusting powder. Old School indeed!!

Ja'net

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 8:03:00 AM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Current incarnation of this scent is an abomination. Smells like a citrus urinal cake. Vintage Emeraude is MJCH different and so much better! I have loved this fragrance since childhood and I own several vintage bottles. By far my favorite formulation is from the '80s/early '90s, distinguishable by the olive-hued rather than bright-green juice. At the time, Emeraude was available as a cologne, eau de parfum and parfum. They're all great-- smooth, plush old-school Oriental with a bergamot-lemon top and warm, oily, vanillic drydown. This is quality stuff, and every time I wear it I am surprised by its quiet loveliness, and reminded of just how cheap and one-dimensional some of today's high-end frags smell by comparison!

Emeraude may not be the most complex or dressy fragrance I own, but it's the most "me." After the zingy top notes, it's a warm and subtle skin scent with no harsh edges. Bosomy and almost maternal, Emeraude feels like home. It just plain Smells Good, even in its cheap downmarket packaging. Well worth a try, especially if you like Orientals like Shalimar, Opium, Youth Dew and Obsession. Emeraude shares the deep, velvety resinousness of these, minus the spice/animalic overload.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2012 12:46:00 AM More reviews by lwhitener

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A classic. I've loved this ever since my aunt gave it to me for Christmas when I was a young teenager, and I still wear it. It's a floral oriental (or "floriental") that has presence, but is never over-the-top. I completely disagree with the reviewers who think it smells like something an old lady would wear. Beauty is in the eye (or in this case, the nose) of the beholder, but to me it smells elegant and distinctive. If you don't want to smell like everyone else (vanilla, fruit, etc.), give Emeraude a try--there's a good reason it's been around for almost 100 years.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/8/2012 7:45:00 PM More reviews by Coronet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Everyone's right when they say that this reminds me of baby powder. It doesn't smell chemically, but it does remind me strongly of powder. I don't think I would wear this anywhere. It doesn't remind me of a "youthful" smell. It's more something I'd imagine an old lady wearing.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2012 1:35:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

Many here have remarked on a beloved family member this scent reminds them of. A few others have remarked however of less than fond memories of someone they were perhaps less than fond of, who sprayed this on by the gallon and ruined this forever.. I'm in the latter category. I am too biased against ot because of the person it reminds me of. I've never liked this but to be fair, the association is the thing I can't get behind.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2012 1:11:00 AM More reviews by nearfantastica78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I adore this scent, VERY similar to Chantilly and Heaven Sent. Powdery, warm, classy..does not smell cheap at all. Another gem introduced to me by my precious Mum. She was and still is EVERY definition of a lady, mannerisms, fashion, and most definately fragrancewise. She wore this when her and Dad were dating in the early seventies and she always kept a small bottle in her bathroom. It smells like a lady should, polite, demure, classy. To me, Emeraude evokes all of these things and I wear it to this day.