Lucas' Papaw Ointment

4.5

Fermented Fresh PawPaw Fruit, Rhus Succedanea Wax, Glycerine, Petrolatum, Canola Oil, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Beeswax, Corn Starch, Potassium Sorbate (0.1 mg/g - preservative

on 8/31/2015 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

this is an australian staple. pretty much every australian person has a tube or a tub of this. i take it everywhere. not only is it an excellent lip balm, it's a soothing antibacterial ointment and is also great for its intended purpose - treating surface wounds and irritations. i've used it for:
- helping tattoos heal
- soothing and moisturising minor burns
- calming irritation around my nose from the constant nose-blowing that comes with colds

basically, it's a necessity in my life and i will always repurchase.

on 8/24/2015 11:35:00 PM

I had been using this for years... until my dermatologist told me that this is basically glorified Vaseline. I didn't want to believe it. He told me he had the contents of Lucas Paw Paw examined in a lab after a patient had a horrific allergic reaction... Lucas Paw Paw is basically petroleum (Vaseline), a small percentage of paw paw, and Balsam of Peru (as stated on the website), beeswax and other ingredients - I find it very misleading that they don't state the ingredients on the packaging, how deceiving.

Did you know that Balsam of Peru even in minute quantities... when used over an extensive period of time can trigger contact dermatitis? And eczema around the lips? Which may lead to perioral dermatitis which is very hard to treat once a secondary infection occurs? Which is highly likely as lips are exposed every day! Balsam of Peru is an irritant. I learnt that the hard way. Why did you think I ended up in the dermatologist's office in the first place?

A year ago, I would have given this 5 stars without a doubt. I would apply it on my mosquito bites, any minor rashes, patches of eczema on my hands, unknown scratches, even as a cuticle cream! Nowadays, I keep it far away from my face. I'll use it up by applying it to my feet and applying socks at night! It keeps them very soft and nourished.

I will not repurchase again, sadly. There were some seriously found memories with this product but sayonara.

on 8/23/2015 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

The quintessential Aussie product - used and loved by all Australians this product is a must have. It works as a lipbalm, healing even the driest and most cracked of lips. It works on cuts, bug bites and rashes. It works as a hair-line protector when dying your hair. It is perfect for sensitive skin and leaves even the most chapped skin feeling soft. It can be slightly greasy and melt in the heat, however I would never be without a tube of this.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Holy. Freaking. Grail.

I recently repurchased my EOS lip balm because up until I discovered this ointment I used the EOS one to moisturize and prime my lips. But holy shit. My lips have never felt so soft and moisturized whenever I slather this ointment on my lips. I've also stopped experiencing chapped lips since I started using this because this stuff is ULTRA moisturizing! I find that with the EOS lip balm I have to constantly re-apply whenever I wear long-wearing matte liquid lips. But with this ointment, I use this to prep the lips, wipe the excess with a tissue, apply liquid lipstick, then you're good to go without having to worry about your lips getting chapped after a few hours.

on 8/19/2015 11:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've reviewed Paw Paw in other listings here so I've copied and pasted my review here.

It really is a cure all. I first learned about Paw Paw while working in the camping industry. My friends from Australia would always have it and whenever anyone had a cut or rash they would lend us some Paw Paw for it. It would clear it up in a few days for the more severe reactions. For bug bites and minor scratches it would work immediately. Itching would stop right away and blisters and bites would clear up within a day.

As a lip balm- it's great for severely dry lips, blisters and cuts. It soothes them immediately. Just beware that since it doesn't have SPF you may be prone to burning in the sun. Other than this, there really isn't any drawback to it.

Once, I was backpacking in Europe and got an awful blister on my foot. It was really really painful. Luckily, I was in a hostel room with some Aussie's so I sucked it up and asked if they had any Paw-Paw on them. Of course they did. They never go anywhere without it. When they saw my blister they lent me their extra tube for the rest of my trip! It cleared it up in about three days and I kept using it to keep from developing any more blisters. Best backpacking hookup ever!

For a while I had my friends send me Paw Paw or I'd order it in on Ebay. Now, I'm really grateful it's sold in the states (albeit at a markup) so I can have it all the time. I literally never leave home without it. It's in every purse, bag, drawer I have (in various sizes). I've turned my sister onto it too and she keeps it close by for my nephews bug bites and her own occasional bites and hives. I've even used it in my hair once or twice for the annoying fly away when I ran out of hair oil. If you can't Paw Paw it- then you are in trouble.

on 8/10/2015 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Decent ointment, but nothing amazing. It bothers me how much they charge for this when it is pretty much petroleum jelly with a tiny bit of paw paw and if I go to my local health store they sell a variety of paw paw ointments that have a higher concentration of paw paw and still sell for cheaper. They usually have other beneficial ingredients too. Saying that, I think this would be a beneficial moisturiser for lips if you don't naturally have dry skin. Everyone can get chapped lips but if you are prone to dryness then constant lip balm is a must and in those cases petroleum just doesn't cut it. Did nothing for my lips. I need something that also helps to soothe and heal lips and judging from this ingredient list I'm not surprised that this product isn't sufficient for me. If you aren't as dry then an occlusive like this is going to work great. I have been trying to find other uses for this and am currently using it as a heel balm but it isn't something I would buy again for myself.

on 7/31/2015 11:49:00 AM

This is the best lip balm I've ever used, bar none.
I've been using only semi-matte and matte lipsticks for almost 5 years now, and we all know that they can suck the moisture out of lips and because of that, the texture and condition of lips can suffer. Not to worry, for this little baby takes care of my lips wonderfully! I slather my lips with this before I do my makeup, and when I'm ready to apply my lip color, I take a tissue and blot off the excess, and then carefully paint my lips. Nothing makes my lipsticks stay on like this elixir, and no chapping/flaking occurs!
I'm currently using the one in tube form, and there's still plenty of product left. It'll probably last me for another year! Will forever be repurchasing this. :)

on 7/27/2015 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is basically the golden elixir of smooth, baby lips. My bestfriend got a 75g tub from Australia for me last year and I've been using it everyday ever since. My usual lipbalms are Burt's bees, Fresh and EOS and they're all amazing, but none of them is as affordable as Papaw's.
Because of the tub and the oily texture I usually only use this at home. I put a glob of product before I sleep and the next morning all the painful peeling/cracking/tenderness is gone.
Oh, the only downside is that due to the climate where I live in (singapore), sometimes the product melts feels a bit gross. But nonetheless it's still best thing ever.

on 7/8/2015 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Lucas' Papaw Ointment was such an anti-climax for my lips. Was I really using the same product that has been raved about? It is glorified petroleum jelly. I might as well have bought Vaseline for a fraction of the cost. Initially when I put some on my lips are moist and faintly tingly but not so long after they are dried out worse than before. Chronic application temporarily "solves" this.

The ointment has proven to perform better on the hands. It softens and protects working hands.

on 6/26/2015 9:24:00 PM

This little tube is definitely my ultimate favourite lip balm. My whole life i have used so many balm brands i barely remember their name but i swear i will never forget this. Just a little sad that this sweetie is a local goody, not an outspread trend, which should have been already. But i love it i just love it so much.
At first when i applied it on my lips, it felt like i just ate something greasy and forgot to wipe my mouth, cuz it did feel a lil heavy. But then it started to dry up and didnt feel oily anymore. Just then i realised what it did to my dead-skin-covered lips. My lips felt absolutely moisturised and soft, like they were reborn. The greater thing was that, i just used a teny tiny little amount of the product, like half a drop or so, but it was still enuf to cover my full lips and kept them hydrated all night long. When i woke up, my lips was just like a dream. I saw no dead-skin on them anymore. Omg this is absolutely phenomenal.
I am not so much a fan of using my fingers to apply any kind of lipstick/balm, i always buy a stick, not a tub or a tube, but this got me on its edge and im totally in love with it that i can go at any length for it.
And it is undoubtedly worth the money.

Popular Lip Treatments