October 25, 2014 | 1020 users online

Fragrances - Acca Kappa - Calycanthus

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2013 10:46:00 AM More reviews by Nosage

I have said yes to purchase again but actually it is a don't know. I am not a big perfume fan. Find most of them too strong or cloying. This caught my eye (or nose!) in Marks and Spencers new beauty hall where they are stocking unusual brands. I have never heard of this brand before. I do like it's light summery/springtime smell but my descriptive limitations do not allow me to go to fine detail on the actual notes. I thought it was lily of the valleyish but I think that is giving the impression that it would be the perfume of an old maiden aunt, when really that is not the case. It's fresh and as it is new, I can smell it all day. I might use it sparingly throughout the coming spring/summer as my nose gets easily used to perfume and hopefully I will get more pleasure out of it that way. Certainly not HG so that's why a re-purchase is a don't know. 50ml cost £27 so not overly expensive. Plainish bottle, could be a bit more chic.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2012 1:37:00 PM More reviews by weiweile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the first perfume review ever. I had to write about this perfume, because I am SO in love! I grew up in China where Calycanthus is planted in family's backyard. People have mentioned that it smells like Jasmin, Lily... No, it's Calycanthus in the most original form. Honestly, I have never in my life come across a perfume that smells exactly like the flower. when I put it on, it brings me back to my childhood, the Calycathus tree that I use to obsess over at the lane where my violin teacher lives. Calycathus is a flower that only blooms in the coldest winter, it smells sweet yet clean, at the same time intimate. In my opinion, it smells nothing like SL Un Lys, as Un Lyn is a loyal dedicator to Lily, much sharper and direct. The lasting power for Acca Kappa Calycanthus is not that great, but i don't care. I'll just keep spray myself with this divine essence all day long!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2010 12:05:00 AM More reviews by 9154mf

Jasmine and I do not get along unfortunately in most cases, and this is no different. The slightly indolic nature of this (and other jasmine scents) does not make my brain feel good when I sniff. Although this is a relatively light fresh jasmine with some sweetness from the honey, it still doesn't agree with me.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/19/2007 3:19:00 PM More reviews by rachelgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

after reading all these positive reviews I decided to order Calycanthus and made a huge mistake.I just got it today and tried and it just stinks like a cheap soap or body spray you would get at 99 cent store.I expected so much more,and now I can't return this bottle.Money wasted!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2007 12:39:00 PM More reviews by dancingoutlaw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love white florals, and this is a real beauty. I think a fan of Calycanthus would be a fan of Serge Lutens Un Lys and vice versa. Calycanthus is a fresh floral with soft jasmine…making it lush, soft orange flower…making it sweet, and musk, which lightens the fragrance while the honey gives it depth. If you accidentally over applied this before work one morning and had no time to do anything about it, people would enjoy it and compliment you rather than make excuses to run away. A lovely fragrance, indeed, and certainly worth trying. Having said that, no white floral is more gorgeous than Un Lys.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2007 5:08:00 PM More reviews by ch33tah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've never been into heavy floral perfumes (Dior Me, Dior Me Not is in my collection, but hardly ever used), but when my boy friend gave this to me as a gift I was very impressed. Very light and just beautiful. The scent stays with me all day long. Very very pretty.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2007 3:43:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Floral, but not heavy or perfumey. I definitely get a lot of jasmine, but it's fresh rather than heady. It's not my cup of tea, but I can see this working on a floral girl. I think jasmine just isn't for me unless it's been wimped out with a good dose of vanilla like with LUSH's Silky Underwear Dusting Powder or Des Filles a la Vanille "Toi...Mon Ange". (I do better with sweet-ish orientals and light skin scents overall). And the previous reviewer is right--the name of this scent is satisfyingly concussive.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2007 12:42:00 PM More reviews by kaycees

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A strangely alliterative name - Acca Kappa Calycanthus - is a magician's incantation of a fragrance. It's fresh and glorious and all that everyone here has written. Of the 50 or so samples I've tried during the past two months to add to my perfume "wardrobe," Calycanthus stands out as my favorite. As comparison - perfumes I've loved to wear are: Kai, "Destiny" by Marilyn Miglin, YSL "Paris," and for day - Kuumba Made "Egyptian Musk" oil. Now, I wish to try AK's White Moss and have ordered a sample.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2006 2:04:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am not a floral lover at all but this is one beautiful fragrance. The only other floral that I could really claim to love is Antonia's Flowers Floret and the reason I love that so much is because it smells like real, fresh flowers to me. There is nothing perfumey about it and I feel the same way about this one. It's not a big production, it smells like walking into a garden. The description given is " A fresh, floral scent created with the unique essence of the Calycanthus flower blended with notes of Jasmin, Orange blossom honey and Musk". Others have done a wonderful job describing this. I can only add that I do not normally like jasmine or orange blossom and I love this scent. Nothing is "too" much here, it is so fresh, green and lovely I'm suprised it is not more talked about. Lasting power on me is medium but florals tend to cling to me with a vengence. A really lovely, refreshing, standout fragrance that is excellent for warmer weather.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2006 10:55:00 AM More reviews by makemepretty

This fragrance dries down to an almost exact copy of Chantecaille Le Jasmin. However, the top notes are not the same. The calycanthus starts off harsh and sharp(a bit similar to Do Son to my nose) but if you can tolerate that till it dries down you'll be greatly rewarded.