November 27, 2014 | 1552 users online

Scrubs - Yves Saint Laurent - Gommage Action Biologique Sans Grains

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2013 11:32:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

YSL Says: "Free from abrasive particles, this honey-coloured gel is comprised of sugars and ultra-fine oils. On contact with the skin, it transforms into a light oil and then into a milk that gently removes dead skin cells and impurities during rinsing. The skin is smoother and softer, the complexion purified and brightened. Rich in essential trace elements and vitamins, it leaves the skin relaxed, purified and delightfully replenished. For all skin types, even sensitive skin."

Review: $44 USD for 2.5 oz at YSL. This is an oil and sugar based exfoliator. Beautiful packaging, nice texture. . .but why so much perfume? At least it doesn't stink like something dead, but this has a strong fragrance typical of many French skincare brands that I wish YSL would tone down a few notches.

Other than that, it's a great product. It's very, very gentle as far as scrubs go, and uses tiny granules made from sugar instead of the typical apricot shells or polyethylene beads - and by tiny I mean there are no visible particles nor any you can feel when you touch it. It doesn't actually feel like anything is scratching or in any way abrasive but rather feels almost like a sticky honey and that goes on more "firm" and melts into a soft, liquidy oil-like gel. I was told by the SA to remove my make-up/cleanse the skin, and then apply this on clean skin and wait for it to "melt" then remove with warm water. I use it with a warm, wet wash cloth and find this gives me the best results. This stuff is great for a night out - it really makes your skin super smooth, and gets rid of any flakies and perfectly prepped for make-up. I thought it would irritate my skin, because of the fragrance, but to my surprise it hasn't, and I started using this almost 2 years ago when the "YSL Top Secrets" line debuted in my city. My skin looks so nice, fresh and soft after using this. It can take a while to completely rinse this but helps if you use a wash cloth. I still prefer chemical exfoliation with AHA's and BHA's which I use regularly but sometimes I like to use gommage/scrub-type products like this every so often, especially before an event or something, for "instantly" smoother skin.

Repurchase/Recommend? Yes and yes. I would ask for a sample if you have sensitive skin due to the fragrance.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2012 2:23:00 AM More reviews by jeanjeantata

it brightens your skin almost immediately and it has a nice smell to it. it is gentle to the skin but it requires you to spread the gel all over your face and i do not like the idea of tugging at my skin so i would prefer a powder-like foliant like dermalogica to this. it smells like a perfume and i do not think that the fragrance would actually be good to the face. overall, a great product.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by roligrant

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Despite it being fairly expensive, I really love this product. My YSL girl told me to use it everyday for best results. My skin is fairly sensitive so I used it every other day. It's been about 2 weeks now and my skin has definitely improved in texture and is more glowy.

You don't need to use a whole lot of the product - just enough for your entire face. It's a golden, slightly sparkly gel when you squeeze it out of the tube. You use it on a cleansed dry face with dry hands. After massaging for a minute or so (it's a bit sticky and hard to massage at first) it turns into an oil (much easier to massage at this stage). Once I wash the oil off, my face feels buttery soft and so moisturized - almost as if I just had a facial.

I like that it doesn't have grains as those exfoliators tend to irritate my skin and make me red after.
I don't love the fragrant smell, but I dont mind it too much. I've gotten my mom to start using it and she loves it too.

I'd be more inclined to purchase if it were less expensive, but nonetheless I do see myself rebuying this in the future.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2012 8:00:00 AM More reviews by Tirje980

I LOVE THIS EXFOLIATOR SOOOO MUCH!! I went to YSL just to have a look and ended up leaving w a lipstain (which is an absolute winner) and this gorgeous exfoliator. I have been looking for an exfoliator for a while but haven't quite decided yet. I exfoliate once or twice a week and have been using trilogy face scrub. I am not a big fan of exfoliator with granules thou. My skin is delicate and this granules free exfoliator is just perfect!! I can't believe how SOFT my face is after i exfoliate with this. I think i have found my HG exfoliator. Love love love.. I just wish the packaging can be a bit more luxurious because YSL is known for the luxurious stylish packaging. But i will definitely repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/30/2010 12:34:00 AM More reviews by hellokitty009

I got a sample of this product today when purchasing YSL mascara. I've never heard about this exfoliator before so I was somewhat excited to try it out at home. When I opened the tube and felt the strong parfume scent I became suspicious.Why would they add so much parfume for a skincare product??? Well, I applied it over my face eventually.Results: my face became extremely dry with burning sensation and red patches. No exfoliation happened by the way. Stay away from it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2009 7:23:00 PM More reviews by ChristmasMom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like but do not love this product. I'll use it if I have a free sample, but I wouldn't buy it. I prefer the action of REN's Glycolactic Skin Renewal Peel Mask.

You put a little of the YSL Gommage on your face and then massage until it liquifies. Then rinse. I noticed a small amount of smoothing with this Gommage. However, my skin is pretty nicely exfoliated from daily use of my Clarisonic.

I had hoped that the YSL product would help with the occasional flakies that I get from Ziana and Benzaclin. However, it is not strong enough for that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2009 8:43:00 AM More reviews by miss_mac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am in love with this exfoliant. IN LOVE! It is truly amazing. It's a very unconventional scrub in that it doesn't contain any granules. It starts off as a thick, gooey, honey like gel that you rub into your skin and as the heat from your skin activates the product it starts to thin out until it feels like an oil. When you rinse the product off I can't even begin to describe how amazing your skin looks and feels. It doesn't look red or irritated, it is simply glowing and radiant. And oh how smooth and soft your skin feels afterwards. Simply amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2009 1:46:00 AM More reviews by dimples109

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a fantastic exfoliator. A little goes a long way! It starts off very sticky and gooey, but the the from your face slowly changes it into an oily liquid consistency. I massage it all over my, avoid the eye area. I spend more time around my t-zone and don't rub as much on my cheeks as I have fairly sensitive skin. I leave it on for around 10-15 minutes.. then I use warm water to rinse... it leaves my face amazingly soft and smooth. I use this twice a week and have dewy glowing skin. I get lazy when I am on holidays and on vacation and don't use this and I definitely notice my skin does not seem as dewy and clear. It is a pricey product, but considering how I only use it twive a week and only need very little of it, I think it is definitely well worth the high price tag. On a side note, my younger brother now uses it too! He has very sensitive skn and his nose area is always flaky and dry, but also tends to break out also... but he now uses this and he has noticed a great improvement!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2009 3:49:00 AM More reviews by devochka

Trust me, this is THE BEST PRODUCT EVER!!!!! EVER AND EVER!!!! Well, at least for me. All the exfoliants, either with particles or acids, irritate my skin so much that I get breakouts. This wonder exfoliates much better (I notice how smooth the foundation goes just after a few uses - I hope I will not need any foundation soon), but all without irritation. Don't be afraid that it feels oily in the beginning. My acne and enlarged pores actually are disappearing. This is only seeming oiliness, but in fact it dissolves your oils, debris and dead cells. No other product did it for me EVER!!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2009 10:07:00 AM More reviews by tijanarm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well, I have to agree with the reviewers below who say that this doesn't do much for their face in terms of exfoliation. I can't say I noticed the dryness either, it's just a product that doesn't do much for my face. With that said, it does work well for something else - my lips and I am giving it 4 lippies just for that. I am one of those people that gets affected with ultra-dry, peeling, cracked lips in the winter. Putting balm on my peeling lips does not help much, but a regimen with daily exfoliation and moisturizing does. Unfortunately, most lip scrubs are too intense and tend to tear the skin on my lips, so in one desperate attempt to help my lips, I reached for this. Every night before I go to bed I use this product on my lips (same approach as for exfoliating your face - masagge until liquifies, then wash off, just make sure your mouth is closed so you don't swallow any), then put on a lip treatment (I use Dior, but any moisturizing treatment will work) and when I wake up in the morning my lips are ultra-soft and moisturized well. The key is to use gommage every day or almost every day (not more than once a day) and to moisturize afterwards. I can assure you you will see an improvement in a week. Yes, it is an expensive product to perform that function, but if you only use a tiny amount (you won't need a lot for your lips, maybe a pea size amount) this will last you forever.