April 24, 2014 | 1897 users online

Styling Products - Kenra - Thermal Styling Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 6/18/2013 12:09:00 PM More reviews by penelopemb75

So I bought this after running out of my "usual," Onesta Create Setting Mist, and only being able to find this product at Ulta. At first I thought it was an acceptable substitute (except for the smell - the fragrance is pretty cloying IMO, reminds me of fake berry or watermelon smell). But after using it for a couple of weeks, my hair became very, very DRY. I checked out the ingredients, and duh - alcohol was the first thing listed! I also felt it left my curls crunchy and tangled. I'm back to the Onesta! I'll never use this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2013 8:00:00 PM More reviews by ebzooki88

This is my holy grail product. I have medium thick hair that can get very greasy, very fast. This product gives me the hairspray like hold i need without the crunch! Plus it left me with no oily residue! Ive tried TRESemme thermal creations heat protection ,Redkin iron silk 7, and a few others, none of which have met my standards. I highly recommend this product for both curling and flat ironing. TIP: make sure to follow instructions and "spray-as-you-go" or else it will be hard to iron for it will have dried too much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 9:47:00 PM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I picked up a smaller, trial size of Kenra Thermal Styling Spray-19-Firm Hold at Ulta. I really like it. I don't use this w/ a straight iron or a curling iron. I think it's too drying for that & I have to admit, I really don't think there's much thermal protection here. It's just too high in alcohol which I can't imagaine protects much. I have lots of fine, straight, sort-of wavy hair & I like to blow-dry my hair either totally straight or add more waves w/ a large, round metal brush. KTSS helps to bulk up my fine hair & holds my style all day. It does feel a tad sticky & I can definitely feel the product in my hair but that helps thicken up my hair so for me that's a good thing! I only spray 2-3 pumps directly onto my hair/scalp & I haven't noticed sticky fall-out all over the floor. I would repurchase.
***UPDATE: After writing this review, I read the directions on how to use for the 1st time & gues what? I am using it wrong! I am spraying this onto WET hair. DUH!!! I think this explains why I like this product & those using it on dry hair, to straighten or add curl w/ a curling iron (as it's intended to be used) do not like it. I think it works great as a setting lotion or whatever it is that it's doing for my wet hair. I doubt I'll try it for use on dry hair as I think it would be too dry & sticky. Now, I understand all the negative reviews here!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2012 11:24:00 AM More reviews by aliheartsyou

I love love love this product! Unlike many users, I don't really use it while straightening. I have wavy/straight hair, so it straightens pretty easily (I do use a protectant though). I use this product when I wear my hair wavy/curly. All I do is towel off my hair, spray it with Not Your Mother's Sea Salt Texturizing Spray and let that soak in for a few minutes, scrunching occasionally. Then, I spray the Kenra all over my hair and blowdry on the lowest setting. The heat makes the curls set perfectly! Then I just use some hairspray and it's done! The curls last all day and it doesn't weigh it down.

I will continue to buy this product for sure!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/23/2012 4:37:00 PM More reviews by meubanks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I agree with casn79. I used to love this product. I always had a bottle on hand. Just doesn't seem to give me the same results as before. My hair just feels extremely dry after using it.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2011 3:41:00 PM More reviews by casn79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used to use this spray all the time years ago for keeping my curls from falling flat. I would spray a section and then curl it with a curling iron. It worked for the most part back then. Recently it just doesn't do the same for me. Not sure if my hair has changed, if the ingredients have changed, if my bottle has had evaporation. It does smell great and I do still use it when I wrap my almost dry hair in a bun and spray it on. After my hair feels like it has dried I take the bun out and I have nice waves. I just don't think it has the holding power for curls, at least not for my hair anymore.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/12/2009 1:22:00 AM More reviews by Encie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

well, the bottle says its not sticky but it is. you have to wait a few minutes to let it dry and then comb through it to get rid of tangles it makes. i just don't feel like its working for me. theres no difference when i use it and when i dont. i'm going to try putting on some more but for right now, i'm not too happy with my results.
oh yea and it smells really bad. it makes me cough every time. so annoying

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2009 3:34:00 AM More reviews by LadyLustre

I have long, wavy/curly, thin, color-treated hair, and I used this spray on the recommendation of a friend. When I straightened my hair without spraying on any thermal spray, it took me twice as long to straighten curly pieces of my hair, and then it didn't even stay straight. With the thermal styling spray, it added weight to my hair so that the straight style would hold longer and not make my hair coil up, and the slightly sticky texture cut my straightening time in half because my hair goes stick straight after running my iron over it once.

There is only a slight light smell I detect in this, and it's not bad.

The downside of this spray is that it is sticky. I recently switched to the CHI Iron Guard thermal spray and have just as good of results, but my hair IS NOT as sticky as when I used the Kenra spray and I love the smell of the CHI spray. Whenever I sprayed Kenra in my bathroom, anything that it got on immediately became sticky. So, I won't repurchase the Kenra spray as I like CHIs better.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2009 2:19:00 AM More reviews by purplebuttafly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like the smell of this stuff, but was disappointed in the product. My hair was crunchy and had a residue feel. After a while the sprayer leaked and turned the silver into a huge sticky mess, so I ended up tossing. I normally love Kenra but this was a disappointment.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2009 12:22:00 PM More reviews by iheartMUA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have found my HG ! ! ! I will NEVER let myself run out of this product.

I just got my hair cut off over 6 inches and it's SHORT but in long layers. I use this on each section of hair with my flat iron to straighten it out and flip it out. It does AWESOME......

There are times if I have too thick of a section, it feels hard but once I split it up some, it's fine and even if I don't, I can comb right through the "hard" parts and start all over.

This is a heat protectant AND styling product all in one.

I'm in LOVE......