August 20, 2014 | 1440 users online

Fragrances - Avon - Rare Rubies

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2014 11:33:00 PM More reviews by Kellergirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this in the Limited Edition star shaped bottle. The bottle is cute, but cannot stand up on its own, so I have to leave it in the box. This just does not work on my skin. Smells of aldehyde and alcohol. I smelled no cinnamon in this whatsoever. The smell reminds me of a funeral home. I think that any fragrance with amber in it just does not work for me. I left it on for about 30 minutes, and it still smelled the same. Smells old and just yuck.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2013 11:18:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Rare Rubies is a people-pleaser perfume. There are certain fragrances I wear that evoke responses from the opposite sex. You can see it in their eyes. Their pupils dilate. They stare a little longer than they should. You can almost feel them inhaling you in. Rare Rubies is one of them.
With spicy notes of ginger, coriander and nutmeg, warmed by cinnamon, feathered by musk, tempered by amber and surrounded by sandalwood, Rare Rubies envelops itself around a person. This perfume radiates outward generously and that's ok, because its scent is lanquidly sexual. There are hidden thoughts that sit with these fumes-akin to the librarian with glasses fantasy. Is Rare Rubies naughty or nice? You determine the outcome.
This wonderful fragrance lasts for hours. Unfortunately, it's discontinued, but available on the secondary market,at flea markets and I do know some Avon dealers will track it down for their customers. Definitely worth trying.
Notes: African Orange Flower, Ylang-Ylang, Coriander, Ginger, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Amber, Musk, Sandalwood.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2012 2:54:00 PM More reviews by HeidiF69

I've got a collection of all the "rare" scents like diamonds, pearls and amber. I love them all and how each is so different. Couldn't wait to try the new release of Rare Rubies in the star bottle. The scent is a very powdery, soft oriental fragrance. Nice for evening or the winter, but it also reminds me of a powdery old lady scent. That's OK, I do enjoy that it's different.
My only beef is with the bottle. It's not a spray, it has a cheap old screw cap, and the star-shaped bottle will not stand on its own. Unbelievable, why couldn't they make two points flat on the ends? So it's very annoying, I have to lean it against two areas, since I don't want to lay it down and have the bottle leak. When they come out with the regular spray bottle, I will certainly repurchase and use this bottle as a tree ornament :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2012 12:34:00 PM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I had never tested Rare Rubies when it was available in the catalogue. I received my What's New? with my last Avon order and ordered a demo of the star bottle (marketed as a spray, even the box says spray, but it is indeed a 50mL splash). I can't believe it. I agree with the review I read that stated it was "ahead of its time" because if this same fragrance were released by a high end house, it would fetch 10x the money and would be a best seller. On my skin it is reminiscent of the Maroccan spice mix Ras El Hanout. Complex and seamlessly blended with great longevity,I am smitten. Will definitely purchase backups my next order. If this version is a reformulation of the original, I don't know. The notes listed on the box are: rose, coriander, and amber, but that is just the short list for ad copy. All I know is that this fragrance is exactly the spicy oriental I've been looking for -and I am not usually fond of rose or amber. This is what I think Yves Rocher's Rose Ispahan aspired to be but missed the mark landing firmly in the cloying zone. Rare Rubies is warm, spicy, sophisticated and just plain feels good to wear. Perfect for a nippy, autumn day or night.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2012 2:16:00 AM More reviews by Pyrettablazed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I usually hate Avon fragrances, however, Rare Rubies smelled like a beautiful, warm fiery cinnamon. It is such a shame Avon stopped making this. I agree with the reviewer who said it resembles Giorgio Red, I used to layer the two. (I also agree RED is a nicer fragrance) Avon almost never keeps a product that I like... I wish they'd bring it back!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2011 1:12:00 AM More reviews by mmarrs

Smells alot like Giorgio Red. I like this but I like Giorgio Red better. Red has a deeper more complete scent. but this is a good Spicy scent to wear in the winter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2004 9:17:00 PM More reviews by takemyhusbandplz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The old bottle was much prettier IMO. This is one of my favorite scents. The older formula smelled like a much higher end perfume. Rich, warm & spicy. Very long lasting- great for work and for a night out. The newer formula is missing something that the old one had. The new formula I'd give a 3.5. Luckily I still have some of the old formula left. I wrote this heading up too, someone had started the thread under Rare Ruby; I wanted everyone to find it. :)