October 24, 2014 | 1907 users online

Eye Shadow - Shu Uemura - M Gray 943

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2010 7:22:00 AM More reviews by skwpt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

M Grey 943 is one of the few eyeshadows I have ever hit the pan on. I've had it is for at least 8+ years, and it's still kicking, though in diminished capacity. On me (fair, cool/NW15) 943 is a medium-toned cool grey with blue undertones. Sometimes I wear nothing but this and M Beige 800 (a cool-neutral ivory) on the brow bone, or I'll add M Beige 804 to the lids (pink peige) and put 943 in the crease. It lasts all day with no creasing or fallout, even without eye primer (and I have oily lids). If I want to intensify the color, I'll wear Paula Dorf eye primer (Light) all over my lids, and that seems to pull the blue from the grey. 943 really complements my blue eyes with grey rims and amber flecks.

My 943 is in the older packaging, and I now use it sparingly because the color has been discontinued. I have a few of the newer shadows, and all I can say is they improved the packaging only because the older shadows are just as blendable and pigmented as the newer ones. It would be hard to improve on perfection, as shu mattes are never chalky and lay down like velvet.

Even though this shadow looks dark, nearly charcoal in the pan, you can get a subtle wash by dipping a blending brush in once or twice and shaking it off. 943 is really a gorgeous color, a staple for those of us who get tired of browns, and it's really a shame it is no longer available. I should see how the new M 960 compares.

EDIT 04/29/10: The M Black 960 arrived yesterday, and it is almost identical to M Grey 943. I am overjoyed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2006 3:42:00 PM More reviews by amhirst

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A fantastic color. I have green eyes and blonde hair and the purplish undertone in this shade really brings out the green in my eyes. This is a great everyday color that I just keep coming back to. It has lasted me forever too! Can't beat the quality of this either - super-blendable and does have pretty good staying power. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2005 12:55:00 PM More reviews by signsoflife

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't know anything about the blendability of the new Shu Uemura eyeshadows, but this e/s blends easily--one of the best of all of the shadows I own (including against other Shu Uemura eyeshadows). I like to use this color to contour with Cargo's Mini Crease Brush. M Gray 943 is not a very exciting color, like Shu Uemura's metallics, for instance, but it's a great dependable everyday color, for those of us who work and/or generally stay away from bright-colored eye shadows. It also seems neutral enough for both warm- and cool-toned girls to use (although for reference, I am cool-toned).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2004 11:09:00 PM More reviews by fuzzball

This is one of my first shu purchases, and wow! It blends, blends and blends! It strikes me as a cool gray with very slight purple undertones. It can go on sheer or pigmented as needed. I wish I had found these sooner; I love matte shadows, and I'll take this any day over MAC's.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2003 1:32:00 AM More reviews by Powhatten

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a staple color for me and the only gray I can wear with warm skin tones and hazel eyes. It's almost lavender with warm undertones. It's matte and truely medium. I can wear it with all types of violets, greens, and yellow tones. I recommend it for hazel, blue, and green eyes!
Like all SU shadows, it goes on and stays on beautifully.