July 23, 2014 | 2067 users online

Eye Shadow - NYX - Rust

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 11:06:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Ok, this I like. I got this at a Going-out-of-Business sale for a dollar. I'm serious about checking reviews before I buy and being able to return, but since it was so cheap I took the gamble. I bought 3 other Nyx shades. What I love the most about this color is that it actually is a 'rust' color. I have a gorgeous (expensive) red shadow and *thought* I'd be getting a cheaper, maybe slightly less pimented red for more everyday use. But this is different than a true red, it has a burnt orangish but not brown or muddy look to it. And what I love about that is that it makes it unique for me. A new color! I find that barely happens with makeup junkies so I'm so glad it did for me today. As far as application, with my finger it comes out really pigmented but less so when I use a brush. I noticed with the darker Nyx shadows, they often feel harder, while the lighter shades are more buttery. The color payoff will probably be better with a primer, but I already like this shade a LOT so I'm more than happy! Yay dollar! :D

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2013 6:38:00 AM More reviews by ProstheticAesthetics

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got this eyeshadow in the trio which also includes golden and walnut brown (which is more like a taupe - Nyx and their names, eh?) I only wanted this eyeshadow, but the set was only £2 more than the single eyeshadow, so it was a no brainer. This is an outstanding colour. I have a huge collection of eyeshadows, and have nothing like this colour. It's a warm, satin, burnt, smokey brown/purple. I can see why most make-up companies don't have this colour, as it's not as popular as your typical neutrals, pastels and smokey colours, but for someone who wants to make a bold statement, and with the right complimentary shades and application technique, this creates the most beautiful look, particularly on my blue/green eyes. I created a look with this today using Rust all over the lid and blended upto the crease, Sleek's Villain (In the Ultra Mattes V2 palette) buffed into the crease, UD's Busted buffed into the crease with a small detail brush, and UD's blackout for the outer V. Use a blending brush to ensure no sharp lines. It creates a sexy, vampish look. The quality is also outstanding, pigmentation is rich, with little to no fallout, and it feels silky - not chunky at all. I would say the quality is second only to UD's shadows. Nyx is proving to be the dark horse in the make-up world, and they are seriously giving the higher end brands a run for their money. I would recommend this colour for those who like to experiment, but also who have confidence in their make-up abilities. As I see it, the only way someone could not like this shadow, is because they don't know how to use it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by Victoriajane89

I would definitely consider this as a dupe of mac cranberry.

Very pigmented red wine colour with shimmer.

I cover my eye lid with black shadow (urban decay crave) then blend on the socket line with urban decay naked, I then cover my lid with the NYX rust and lightly blend to soften. Add some eyeliner and your eyes look great!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2013 5:46:00 PM More reviews by Superhamdi

This shadow is one of the only 3 singles I've purchased. It's a beautiful vibrant maroon/red wine color and seems like it would be wearable by many different skin tones, especially tan skin. I'm NC44 and it looks beauuuutiful on me. I saw a youtube video where a girl did a look using a similar color and realized I don't have anything like it in my (extensive) shadow collection. Off to Ulta I went! This was my first experience with NYX and I was floored by the quality! It's pigmented, soft, buttery, blends well and has a great finish-- not matte but not quite shimmery either. There's a lot of product in the container. However, I took this on a trip and the shadow crumbled during travel. I ended up replacing it (for ~$5, I could) but recommend care when handling. I usually wear this in the crease paired with yellow gold, lavender or pink shadows. NYX shadows' staying power is well reputed though I always primer so I can't speak to it. Haven't never used MAC Cranberry, I can't speak to the resemblance. If you don't have a color like this, get it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2012 5:01:00 PM More reviews by sexykoala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is the quintessential fall eyeshadow for me. I am around NC30 with strong yellow undertones, and this looks amazing with a matte dark brown/black eyeshadow on the crease, black eyeliner, and numerous coats of mascara.
NYX eyeshadows are hit or miss for me formula wise, but they nailed it with this one. It's creamy, metallic, and blends well. I always use UDPP, so I can't say much in terms of longevity.
Tip: If you want to intensify the color a bit more, use Maybelline's Color Tattoo in Pomegranate Punk as a base.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/12/2012 10:13:00 PM More reviews by MonaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This a great shimmery brick red eyeshadow. I would not consider this a dupe for MAC Cranberry, it's much to red. The shimmer in MAC Cranberry has a pinky hue and NYX Rust does not have that. It's still a good eyeshadow on it's own and very affordable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2012 3:11:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

I love Rust!! Nyx eyeshadows are very pigmented and last all day, even on my oily eyelids. The color is a frosty, warm brick-red. This particular shade is an exact "dupe" for MAC's Cranberry e.s, but it's a mere $4 compared to $15. I would recommend this product to blue-eyed gals like myself, but could see it working on just about anyone! I use a light hand to apply it since its so pigmented and I wear it as a crease color mixed with Urban Decay Smog which tones the red so it looks natural, this combo is beautiful and makes my eyes pop on an unexpected way! Don't be afraid to try this color because chances are, you will be stoked that you did.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2012 4:02:00 AM More reviews by manitoban3

I bought this color because it is considered a dupe for MAC's Cranberry. That shade is raved about everywhere...

It is a nice eye shadow, hence the 3 lippies. Pigmentation, consistency, blendability and slight "shimmer" or glow is very nice. Also, this stuff kind of soaks/buffs into your skin and lasts forever. A swatch on your hand will be there for a long time!

I tried and tried with this shadow, but I just couldn't get it to work for me. The color is not flattering at all on my fair skin with brown hair and eyes. No matter what I did and how I blended it, what other colors I combined it with and which brushes I tried, it still looked like I had an eye infection.

Will definitely keep buying the NYX shadows but will stay far away from this shade. Do not recommend Rust.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2012 9:47:00 AM More reviews by jaylyn85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't know what it is with NYX shadows, but I can never get them to sow up as dark on my lids as I can in a swatch. This shadow is exactly the same, while I love the color in the pan and in the swatch I can not get it to show as vibrant on my lids over top of any primer I have. NYX shadows tend to be very soft and crumbly and I normally have trouble with the cases breaking or the shadow pan coming unstuck. Personally I like coastal scents and wet n wild better.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2011 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Layni1006

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This one is my favorite NYX shadow I own. I am pale and somewhat cool toned, and this doesn't pull pink on me like every other red shadow I have tried. I use this with MAC Woodwinked on the lid and Rust in the crease and outer third. It makes my blue eyes GLOW and I get compliments every time I wear that combo. I also use this on my lid to do a red and black smokey eye. I have not had any problems with it looking like an eye infection, since it doesn't pull pink. This doesn't crease or fade for me, but I do use primer and the NYX jumbo pencils as a base, so I can't speak for the lasting power of this product on its own. It has a fair amount of fallout, like my other NYX shadows, because the powder is so soft, but I think that is why the application is so smooth. I will repurchase if I ever hit pan (but with 300+ shadows, it's not likely).